How to make green tea drinkable!!!

Options
I recently purchased some green tea bags with raspberry. Brewed it and I couldn't stomach it. On the box of course it says sweeten to your taste but I didn't want to put sugar in it. I love the bottled lipton green tea with citrus. But it has so many ingredients including aspartame. So I'm just not sure what to do. I know its supposed to be really good for your health and for weightloss but I just couldn't drink it of course unless its the bottled kind. Any suggestions? :ohwell:

Replies

• blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Add honey. You could also drink it iced with honey.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased some green tea bags with raspberry. Brewed it and I couldn't stomach it. On the box of course it says sweeten to your taste but I didn't want to put sugar in it. I love the bottled lipton green tea with citrus. But it has so many ingredients including aspartame. So I'm just not sure what to do. I know its supposed to be really good for your health and for weightloss but I just couldn't drink it of course unless its the bottled kind. Any suggestions? :ohwell:

If you do not like it, do not drink it. A calorie deficit is what is needed for weight loss, not green tea. Also, aspartame is not the devil. If you like the Lipton green tea with citrus, drink that and either pitch the new stuff you bought or give it to somebody else. (or play around with the taste by adding sugar, honey etc.) Just remember, a calorie deficit for weight loss, not green tea.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    DONT use boiling water! It gives it a bitter taste, stop the kettle when it's hot but not boiling and only brew for a couple of minutes. You can add honey to sweeten
  • upforthecount
    upforthecount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Many of the bottled green tea brands have just about everything but green tea in them (like the aspartame that you mentioned).
    If you want to try the real deal, go to uptontea.com. You can order sample packs of any variety of green tea leaves they carry. And they carry a very large variety.

As for sweetening, if you want low caloric, you could try stevia.

My personal preference is to drink tea/coffee without any sweetner. It is kind of an acquired taste, sort of like acquiring a taste for beer. Initially a person doesn't like the taste, but you get used to it for the effect it has.
  • paigebolling
    paigebolling Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just looked up the ingredients to the Lipton tea ( WATER, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE (TO PROTECT FLAVOR), GREEN TEA, NATURAL FLAVOR, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), PHOSPHORIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), ASPARTAME, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CITRUS PECTIN, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FLAVOR)
    I'm somewhat new to clean eating but what I have found to be widely agreed upon was the fewer ingredients more than likely the better it is for you. And if you can't pronounce many of the ingredients its probably not so good haha. I may be wrong with that as well. I really like the Lipton tea and not so much the brewed tea from home. So are these ingredients things to stay away from or won't do so much harm? I guess I should also add the bottled tea I've been buying is the diet version.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I make a latte with mine. And then add stevia to sweeten it. :-)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I just looked up the ingredients to the Lipton tea ( WATER, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE (TO PROTECT FLAVOR), GREEN TEA, NATURAL FLAVOR, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), PHOSPHORIC ACID, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), ASPARTAME, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CITRUS PECTIN, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FLAVOR)
    I'm somewhat new to clean eating but what I have found to be widely agreed upon was the fewer ingredients more than likely the better it is for you. And if you can't pronounce many of the ingredients its probably not so good haha. I may be wrong with that as well. I really like the Lipton tea and not so much the brewed tea from home. So are these ingredients things to stay away from or won't do so much harm? I guess I should also add the bottled tea I've been buying is the diet version.

If you like the Lipton, drink the Lipton and do not be afraid of those ingredients. There are chemicals in everything.
  • xAndreaWx
    xAndreaWx Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The green tea's with different fruits are much nicer than plan green tea. I wasn't a massive fan when I first started drinking it... but persevere with it without any sugar/sweetener and i found the taste to grow on me and i really quite enjoy it now!
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have Twinings fuit flavoured green tea selection. If you're drinking fruity green tea you need to brew it for less than 2 minutes, like a minute is usually more than enough, otherwise it's too bitter for me.
  • mooreebony
    Options
    Honey or Stevia
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the brand, I would recommend trying The Republic of Tea Honey Ginseng Green Tea, it is slightly sweet and mild tasting, you can get that at any food specialty store near you, or look for it online and I think if you put in your zip code it will give you a store near you that sells it. http://www.republicoftea.com/
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you don' t want to sweeten it, try steeping it for less time. Green tea is usually very oversteeped. For a typical cup of tea, 30 seconds is enough... any more and the bitterness will set in.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you don't like green tea, don't drink it. It has no magical properties that make it worth forcing it down like medicine. I find it really bitter no matter how I brew it so I moved on to something I like.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about it so if you don't like the taste of it don't drink it.

Add a bit of sugar to it to sweeten it, or some splenda or honey or sweet n low, etc.
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea with mint. I also tried lemon but that was no good, and with jasmin, that was nice too.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Stevia is pretty tasty in green tea...or drink a blend. The only way I'll consistently drink any variety of green tea is in Tazo Zen.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Here is the only way I like green tea. Even then it wasn't very good imo.

green-tea-kitkat.jpeg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I know its supposed to be really good for your health and for weightloss but I just couldn't drink it of course unless its the bottled kind. Any suggestions?

There's nothing magical about green tea. If you don't like it, don't drink it. You can get all of those nutrients elsewhere in your diet...you don't have to drink green tea. Also, it really doesn't do much of anything for weight loss. I have always drunk green tea and I got fat as hell.
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't care for any of the cold green tea drinks.... I do like the hot Celestial Seasoning Green Tea K cup with a packet of Stevia. I could drink that every day.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I agree. The bottled, sweetened green tea is garbage. I admit, I like the taste of plain hot green tea, or the fruit infused versions, but feel free to add your own honey and/or lemon. As someone else mentioned, if you don't like the taste, don't drink it. Good luck!