Options
    You-Guys-Are-Still-Here-Lady-Gaga-Gif.gif
    No less than you

tumblr_m4kk12K4zU1rwcc6bo1_400.gif
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

What sounds cheaper?

1. Making unhealthy people pay more to cover themselves?

This idea is why the most common reason for bankruptcy is medical debt. God forbid anyone ever become unhealthy. I just pray that we all never have to experience such a catastrophic injury and disease that we can no longer pay for the medical bills and are disqualified or have to pay astronomical premiums for insurance.

And despite the thinking that "they should pay more" you actually end up paying more. Look up the cost of any procedure in the states vs. the world tell me what you find?

If you keep yourself in shape, you pay less. If not, you pay more. Both still have you keeping health care.

So, yea. Your point hasn't been made.

I'm going to hazard a guess that she isn't just speaking of obesity here. The problem with starting to penalize people for arbitrary things is that they are just that...arbitrary. Today it's your waist size or BMI, tomorrow it's the kind of vehicle you drive.

This is exactly like someone saying just because gay people can get married, next people will want to marry goats.

There's that chance with everything. It's a matter of common sense. Obesity has been proven to drive up insurance premiums for EVERYONE.

That's quite a leap you made there, but OK. Regardless, I'd like to see your data on how "obesity" has driven up insurance premiums for EVERYONE. I'm not well versed in actuarial science, but I'd imagine that there are many medical expenses out there that drive our insurance premiums up more than being fat ever will. One example...I had 2 children by c-section, combined cost was well over $50,000. Should I pay higher premiums because I'm a woman of child bearing age? Or perhaps I should only pay higher premiums until I go to the doctor to get proof that I'm on birth control. It's a slippery slope...
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Gosh - your post just makes too much sense. Maybe that is why no one replied. But I liked it! :)
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Gosh - your post just makes too much sense. Maybe that is why no one replied. But I liked it! :)
    LOL - It caused a little ruckus but you're right...I wasn't really expecting a huge debate got a little one but not a huge one. It's just a flat out shame.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    LOL - It caused a little ruckus but you're right...I wasn't really expecting a huge debate got a little one but not a huge one. It's just a flat out shame.

What really irritates me is the insistence that it is any one group of people causing the massive increases to our health insurance premiums. Nevermind the fact that insurance companies are seeing unprecedented increases in their profit margins, I'm sure that has nothing to do with premiums going up by record percentages.
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've learned that these forums (much like real life) are filled with people who love spout off ignorant stuff. Sad - but it is life and the world we live in. If everyone was of reasonable intelligence then who would we shake our head at, point at, and laugh at?