why is it - dieting vs non dieting...

Options
why is it that last week when I was not "dieting" (ok, I know lifestyle change) I ate whatever I wanted whenever and when I loked back at it (although my choices were poor) I really didnt eat alot at all, wasnt hungry and wasnt staring into the cupboard.
So why is is that now when I am "dieting" I have been hungry ALL day, staring into the refrig and cupboards ALL day and constantly thinking about food??????

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    We are human, we will always want what we cant have.
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I find that I was never hungry before and would just eat because it was a "meal time such as lunch". I didn't really enjoy my food at all come to think of it. Then I started making myself eat at least 3 to 5 smaller meals a day plus exercise and then suddenly I'm famished at actual meal times and literally starving to death. But then I enjoy the food so much more I can't even describe it.

I too look forward to finding out what the mystery is but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I have 5 meals per day scheduled. Sometimes there are less because a particular meal is higher in calories and I cut myself off after that especially once I get close to my limit.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    maybe the choices you made last week were of foods that notoriously make us "feel good". High fat, lots of sugar - you know - the yummy stuff. You were feeling satisfied - the trick is to find those foods that are healthier that also make you feel good.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Anytime you're consciously trying to make a change, it's going to be on your mind. I think about food a lot! But I've learned to make it work for me. I like planning meals out - I research healthy alternatives to the junk/processed food I used to eat. I've been trying new recipes.

To help your hunger, make sure you follow a few key steps:

1) Drink enough water throughout the day (not all at once!)
    2) Eat small, healthy snacks between meals. If you can, try to incorporate protein and/or healthy fat into these snack - almonds are a great example.
    3) Start your day off right - eat a good, full breakfast - it should be as big as your lunch and dinner (if not bigger!).
    4) Eat enough protein and fiber - both of these things will help keep you full longer
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    I'd look at the type of stuff you ate that made you feel good and sated. If it was meat and fat and next to no carbs, I'd say go for it -- dive head first into an Atkins-like diet and don't go back.