My wallet was stolen at the gym

Options

Replies

• itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    (sorry, accidentally posted and can't delete it?)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    File a report, oftentimes the thieves are repeat offenders.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had to go through that. I am glad my gym has little cubbies for valuables that you put your own code in to use. I put my wallet and keys in it while I work out. Only my clothes go in the lockers.

ETA - Around here, a lot of thieves break into cars in gym parking lots knowing that people leave their valuables in them rather than take the chance of having them stolen in the gym. Ironic, isn't it?
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing to worry about these days is identity theft. I would put a credit freeze on my credit and file fraud alerts with all the credit bureaus.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0275-place-fraud-alert

http://credit.about.com/od/privacyconcerns/qt/securityfreeze.htm

Mike
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I had my **** stolen out of a locked locker. Some kids pretended to be there for exercise but were actually watching me to see the combination of my lock.

Now I never put anything of value in a locker room, lock or no lock.

Bolt cutters are also very common and it does not take long, and they often work in pairs.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Every one has valuables in their car at the gym and the punks know this. I leave everything at home but carry my key, DL and money in a zip lock bag in my SPI belt and never feel encumbered while in the gym or running.

I also have a gun safe cable locked under my car seat. The safe can also be bolted to the floor or in the trunk.

The cheaper the lock the easier it is to pick. (Check out youtube to learn how).

How to pick a lock with a can - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpF2tWgHND8

Greatest story ever happened at my local YMCA. A member actually walked up and caught a guy going through his locker. He never said a word but walked up to the thief and beat him all the way down to the floor - only to realize that on that particular day he had to use a different locker than he usually did! (the lockers were on a first come basis) LOL
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Sorry this happened to you! Since it could of happened anywhere I think, move on. If you enjoy the membership stay and if you don't enjoy this gym then go find one you do like. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, get over it. You left your wallet unattended in an unlocked area. It isn't the gym's fault.

I never, ever bring anything valuable into the gym locker room. I bring my clothes if I'm coming from work and my keys and leave EVERYTHING else in the car, hidden and locked.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I know it's not the fault of the gym, I had my wallet in the locker- underneath my clothing.
    In the 30 minutes that I went to exercise, and go back to get my wallet to get a drink- it was stolen.

Filed a police report. I know this gym is going to be very lackadaisical about it . Sort of "at your own risk" card.
    I am going to ask to have my gym membership suspended, as I'm so distraught at even going back in. Money, cards, and CC all gone. Hubby cancelled the CC.

Just wondering- what would you do- move on? Get over it? Get a new lock?
    I would have been better off leaving my wallet at home.

I never bring these things to the gym. When I did, I used a lock on the locker. That sucks though.
    Anything of any value should be locked up or you have to accept the risk. I would do both...move on, get a new lock & not leave anything of value unattended. During classes, I brought a sweatjacket with pockes & there I would keep Ipod/license & emerg cash.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would be actively involved in the search. LOL. I'd ask if they have cameras and I'd make sure that they were doing everything possible to find out who it was. Everything can be replaced, but I can't stand thieves! I'd be asking who they saw to go in, etc, and asking them to not let anyone leave! I mean, it can't be that hard to find out who did it if it only happened in a 30-min time span. And, I wouldn't leave anything valuable in my locker in the future. Leave everything in your car and just leave your clothes in your locker.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I would either lock the locker...
    Well, I would hope that she did that. :laugh:
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is why I am thankful for my home fitness programs. One more hassle I don't have to deal with...

With this approach, why go out anywhere ever at all?!
  • stepqueen
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration. I had my purse stolen from my car (favorite pink) next they stole my car! Sadly the gym is targeted. I try not to leave valuables in my car. My gym has small llockers in front for keys and valuables. Our health and well being is too important to let thieves rob us of that.
    Sorry that happened to you.:embarassed:
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised when I open a locker and see someone's stuff there without a lock.

I think you should never tempt people. Sorry, but if you don't secure your valuables someone will take them.

I would blame myself not the gym.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    If you can afford it, get into a slightly higher price gym. You rule out the riff raff. I'm with Lifetime fitness. I really love this chain.

Doesn't rule out the riff raff at all. My DD was training at a private sailing club in England (quite a posh one!) and several girls in her squad (a Team GBR Squad) had their phones/iPods/purses/etc stolen from the changing rooms - you can't exactly take stuff out with you on a racing dinghy! And this was a very expensive member only club.

Only way is not to take it with you or lock it up securely. DD now gives everything to her dad to look after when she's on the water.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    my old gym, which was a more expensive/local gym, kept sending out emails to the members letting us know that the cars in the parking lot were being broken into. even at 5 in the morning, while i was there. i've never heard anything about theft at my new gym (24 hr fitness), but i ALWAYS lock my locker and i never leave anything in my car. like others have said, people who steal know that cars in the gym parking lot are stuffed full of valuables. i'd say you're better off putting your stuff in a locked locker inside, at least there are more people around and it's always light.

i even leave my wedding/engagement rings at home since they are uncomfortable to wear while i am lifting. it's not worth the risk to put them in my locker or even hidden in my purse. i go home to shower and get ready for work, so it works for me.

also, along the lines of the dirty underwear security system, this sort of thing might work - just put your wallet in a box like this.

HjKs0ww.png
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I don't know what state you live in. But in mine I just got a **replacement license** cost me 10.00..I keep it in the car. When I go to workout it is in the car. I don't need my wallet for anything. I have 5.00 hidden in the car no one knows where or can see it. I take my towel water bottle and phone (iphone so it doubles for my ipod) and that is all I take to the gym. I feel bad this happened to you. Just leave all that stuff at home...don't stop working out...
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised when I open a locker and see someone's stuff there without a lock.

I think you should never tempt people. Sorry, but if you don't secure your valuables someone will take them.

I would blame myself not the gym.

I agree at my gym there are cubbies upstairs for water bottles towels and I see people leaving phones there..and not cheap ones..Iphones, galaxys..I am always like WHAT?? for real??? I know there are cameras on the gym floor but really??wow..:noway:
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Seriously. I don't trust strangers that much.
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    Take less stuff to the gym. Better yet, carry less stuff in general. Besides maybe a bank card and an ID what do you really need (ok a phone but everyone seems to use it for music so it's strapped to their arms)? Why carry a purse with 72 credit cards, a wad of cash, every piece of makeup you own, 20 perfume bottles, a photo album of your relatives, etc with you? People open themselves up to being targets the more they encumber themselves.