Cellulite. Scientific explanation pls. Will it go away?

Options
2»

Replies

• ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't know if mine will ever go away, but I'm a big fan of making it look better via sensible diet, massage / exfoliation & fake tan :smile:
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Pods of fat become disconnected from each other as the skin's connective tissue deteriorates with age. The skin dimples between the fat lumps.

Are you sure this is wrong?
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ok...this is NOT scientific at all but hey...it's Friday so here goes....
    Everytime I think of where the fat on our body comes from, I am reminded of the movie Little Miss Sunshine when the little girl says "What does Ala Mode mean?" and the dad says "it means they put on ice cream on top of it and ice cream has fat in it so when you eat it it puts fat on your body". Ok...so those are not the exact words but you get the jist of the conversation. So there you go....lol. Honestly though, I weigh between 126-128 with a very healthy bmi and bf percentage. That being said, I still struggle with cellulite. For whatever reason, I can't get the proper form on squats so I just continue to do lunges, cardio, leg curls, donkey kicks, take classes, and TRY to keep the diet in check ( I stress the word TRY). Like someone above posted, if I pull up on my love handles or the area around my back it seems to smooth things out so I am hopeful with the proper diet and exercise it will help. Good topic :flowerforyou:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, I can't get the proper form on squats[...]

What's wrong with your form?

Until I started putting almost the equivalent of my bodyweight on the bar when doing barbell squats, I could never really "sit back" into the squat, and so I always stopped "high" and almost good-morning'ed the weight back up. You need enough weight on the bar for *it* to be your centre of mass, so your shoulders can stay over the mid-foot when you squat down. This'll keep you balanced and allow you to sit deeper into "the hole".

If the weight is too light, your trunk (i.e. your torso) remains your centre of mass and you'll always lean quite far forward to keep it over your mid-foot. This is fine if you can't yet squat a heavy enough weight, every rep with the lighter weight will get you closer to being able to squat with better form, don't give up just because you haven't perfected it as quickly as you thought - squatting, although probably one of the most natural things we can do for exercise, is exceptionally hard.

Edit: Sorry for going off-topic, I'm just surprised when people say they can't squat, haha.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Ah pox, my dimples didn't line up!

But I love that you typed all of that out! You get a gold star! ☆ (pretend it is gold, anyway...)
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I dont think age has much to do with it. Ive had cellulite a while now and im only 18. I wish I had taken before and after pics bcuz once I started eating at a deficit and weight training my cellulite is almost gone. Lowering body fat is key, it doesnt matter what the scale says or if you look skinny, you can still have a body fat percentage that is too high. Many women in my family have cellulite, even so I still improved mine significantly.
  • CelluliteBlaster
    Options
    Cellulite is caused by fat deposits that sit along side with collagen fibers that are anchored to the muscle below. When the collagen pulls tight or the fatty areas grow larger, then the deposits may bulge out. Cellulite is related to the structures within the skin, so even slender women can possibly have some cellulite. If thin skin runs in your family, the cellulite you have will be more visible. :noway:

Kim
    http://celluliteblaster.org/
  • Alicia_rcw
    Options
    I dont think age has much to do with it. Ive had cellulite a while now and im only 18. I wish I had taken before and after pics bcuz once I started eating at a deficit and weight training my cellulite is almost gone. Lowering body fat is key, it doesnt matter what the scale says or if you look skinny, you can still have a body fat percentage that is too high. Many women in my family have cellulite, even so I still improved mine significantly.

She's perfectly right.. and has a picture to prove it!... congratulations on the sexy abs!! :) you rock!... I'm on my way there ;D. Anyways girls, besides lowering body fat, you will want to help your skin reshape it's connective tissue, which can be done in different methods. One good way is going to a Chiropractic, but that could be expensive, the other way is to exercise your muscles. If you lose body fat + get stronger muscles in that area, the muscles will stretch your skin enough to make it look perfect, the connective tissues will adapt to the new shape, and there goes your cellulite, forever. I'd recommend the program that works for me, Venus Factor, it's MAJOR on the muscle building aspect of exercise... you wont look like a body builder, don't worry :).. here's a link! http://tinyurl.com/nxe3h74
  • Alicia_rcw
    Options
    Not that looking like a body builder is bad :(... sorry if I offended anyone.. there's some great looking body builder girls here, and what I'd give to have their drive....
  • seegirlrun2012
    Options
    Anyone who tells you that cellulite is due completely to genetics has been fooled by media into think it is a condition which is not "curable." The only genetic factor involved is the fact that women will have more cellulite than men, due to their fat ratios in their bodies. There are 2 fat types in the body: alpha type fats and beta type fats. Alpha fats are stubborn and harder to burn. Beta are easier to burn. Women have a 9:1 alpha/beta ratio in the lower body! Whereas men have a 1:1 alpha/beta ratio. Cellulite is not a disease. It is a combination of body fat % that is too high, the wrong diet, and not enough muscle tissue. Cellulite is caused by a combination of enlarged fat cells (mostly the alpha type) and poor skin collagen & elastin fiber structures, which in most younger people is coming from poor circulation in those areas.

The article written about "athletes" with cellulite is simply an example of failure to rid cellulite because she did not have the determination or skills enough to lower her body fat % or find a way to block alpha-2 fat receptors(which for this I personally use high dosages of L-caratine but Yohimbe will also work but is potentially dangerous). For each individual to lose their cellulite, they will need to hit a certain body fat %, and for some people this can be extremely low - even at bodybuilder level between 8-12% for women. The woman in this article obviously was not in that BMI range. Do not let failures out there discourage you. The fat that makes it look like women have "cellulite" is usually a stubborn fat and there are certain techniques that will cause our bodies to burn off this type of fat. Look up science articles on alpha-2 and beta-2 adrenoreceptors. You will also need to take into consideration increasing blood circulation (delivery of nutrients to the area, helps increase muscle mass) and increasing collagen production in the skin (especially imported to do as you are losing weight)

About me: My previous weight was 180 lbs, and I'm 5'4. I have had cellulite (VERY bad) basically my whole life. I currently weight 120 lbs, and as I have had a 60-70% reduction in my cellulite appearance so far. My current bodyfat is 19%, and I believe based on my personal cellulite situation, it will almost completely disappear around 14-15% body fat, but it may be even lower than that. I will reach 103 lbs and then gain 10-12 pounds of muscle mass. This effect will 1. reduce the fat bulge making the cellulite. 2. The muscles will push up against the skin, making it tighter, firmer, and lifted. Also, as far as my credibility, I am a nutrition & sports science major who is pre-med so this stuff is basically my life.

No one will tell you the real secret to cellulite loss is simple, but it requires LOTS of hardwork, and most people are not willing to have that type of true dedication. And also most people who actually are SUCCESSFUL in losing cellulite do not spend time posting or looking at cellulite boards online, and are also not very interested in revealing their secrets about how they accomplished it. I have seen people who have done it, and so can you if you want it bad enough ;)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    No. The way a woman's fat layer is structured is different from a man's. That is why we get cellulite more easily than they do. Also, some people, simply don't have cellulite even if they are overweight. And yes, THAT it is genetic.

Cellulite-5.jpg
  • rosemary98
    Options
    from a woman who is nearly 5'6'' and 98 pounds (granted, no exercise)...I have cellulite on my butt and upper tights.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    The solution to cellulite is a great pair of jeans.

Cellulite will diminish somewhat in appearance as you lose weight, but it won't go away completely. Unless you're a swimsuit model, it's not a big deal. And if you are a swimsuit model, that's why God invented Photoshop. :smokin:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have less of it than I did before. However, even at a BMI in the 18's, I still have *some*....