Bad day at the salad bar!

Options
So I had my own salad today but it was from saturday. I ddint really look at it in the morning and when I saw it at work it was def not ok to eat! So I went down to the deli and hit up the salad bar. I had spinch, romaine, kidney beans. beets, black olives, cucumber, 2 hard boiled eggs. I counted it and with dressing WOA! It was more calories than I thought. I hear all the time to load up the veggies and put eggs so you are not starving by 3. Well I guess I picked the wrong veggies but thats what I had a taste for :(

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Most the time it's the dressing - maybe eliminate one egg but that probably wasn't the problem :-)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great lunch to me, except I eat my salads without any dressing usually. If you do want dressing, learn to get it on the side and just dip your fork in it.

The eggs and beans are not "low calorie" but they're very healthy for you. Protein, fiber, vitamin D (in the egg yolks). I don't know what you consider "too many calories" - but I regularly eat 250-350 calories salads with much of the ingredients you just listed. It's a very healthy lunch!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary I doubt you ate 8 2" round beets on your salad, but I could be wrong, that just seems like a lot. The amount on your diary is for full beets, if you used beet slices you over estimated the caloric content.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary I doubt you ate 8 2" round beets on your salad, but I could be wrong, that just seems like a lot. The amount on your diary is for full beets, if you used beet slices you over estimated the caloric content.

I agree with this - unless you really got 2 full-sized beets, I'm willing to bet you had maybe 1/4 of a cup of beets at the most. That'll make a big difference in the calorie count.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Did you eat the whole eggs? A full egg is something like 80 calories while jsut the egg whites are 17. So that might help...and yea dressing's a big culprit. I read a tip that you should get dressing on the side, dip your fork in it then stab some salad. Reduces the calories alot and you still get the flavor without overloading.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I often eat at the salad bar at work and my salads come in around 300 calories. I bought my own low calorie dressing and I keep it in the hallway fridge. That way I don't have to use all the high calories stuff the salad bar has. Anyway, I like to throw walnuts, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, and a bunch of other yummy things on my salad to make it more filling. And then the dressing I have only adds 25 calories so it works great.
  • shannie_134
    Options
    I have stopped having dressing and change to balsamic vinegar or squeeze of lemon
  • Iwillxceed
    Iwillxceed Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really think your count is off. I went to sweet tomatoes and ate a wonderful meal, even a sweet potatoe and my calorie count wasn't ridiculous. Also choosing low caloried dressings is the key to a low fat salad. Today i'm eating a salad with wish bone light ranch and it is delicious with only 40 calories, hell if you have to just bring your dressing with you when you go out to eat. You don't have to be ghetto and bring the whole bottle...lol....just bring a small container....hey.....to hell what people think...your health is more important.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 8 full 2 inch around beets? That something like 4 cups of beets, I'm willing to bet you actually ate 8 slices of beets, which is really not that much.
    Other than that, it looks like a perfectly fine lunch, I agree with someone else on here, maybe one egg would be sufficient next time, but hardly the end of the world.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I make my own dressing (italian) and its healthy olive oil and white vinager w. seasoning.

I do eat whole eggs now (no more than 2) because there is something in the yolk that is a natural fat burner; which I heard from Jackie the trainer from Thinnervention on bravo. I use to eat 2 egg whites and a whole egg.

You prob right about the beets.

I ate the kidney beans and eggs bc I am going to the library and gym after work so I needed the calories and protein so I wasnt starving by the time I get home. I am eating broc with very little dressing after to help me NOT be hungery by the time I go to the gym.