How did you accept this?

Options
2»

Replies

• Companero1
    Companero1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Life became easy once I gave up sugar. I always lost weight slowly until I stopped the sugar. I eat over 2k calories a day and the weight is falling off all the places I want it too and all i'm doing different is stopping sugar and eating normal food and yes some junk i.e. McDonalds. But no fat coke and no fries. I keep carbs to 100 a day. The good news is once you stop eating sugar for a short while you stop craving the stuff. Give it a try, you'll might find dieting a doddle after all :-)
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. But don't get discouraged! Look at you! You've already lost 48 pounds! That's huge! And you are looking great!

I know it seems daunting, but I do believe that it's all about building habits. You have to put some effort into it now because you're changing the habits you've lived with for how many years? What you've been taught all your life, what you've allowed yourself. But once you get used to it, once you learn what works for you, once you see the change in your body, you will be more motivated to stick with those new habits.

Yes, there are setbacks, some people stop trying and gain the weight back, but as long as you are breathing, you have the power to change. You just have to want it. Don't sacrifice and deny yourself everything that you love. Just learn to make healthier choices. It's okay to give yourself a day every now and then that you have something you really love. You can always exercise to counter those extra calories. You can have something that's not so good for you if you are careful with the portion and offset it with healthier choices the rest of the day. It's all about moderation.

Don't see it as something that you're giving up, but something that you are gaining. Confidence in yourself. Peace of mind to quiet those nagging little voices in your head. Don't you feel better already? Not only about yourself, but physically? If you're insecure in yourself, you're probably always going to compare yourself to others. The crazy fit guy at the gym that lifts two hundred pounds, but realize that everyone is different and that's not you. You could be, but do you really want to be? You may see other people and feel that they have more dedication or more drive, but most of those people have made that a true way of life, one of their primary focuses. There's a difference between wanting to be healthy and fit and making fitness your life. Exercise, especially, can be addictive for some people. But that doesn't mean that because it's not for you that you are lacking in some way. People have different motivations for getting in shape. Looking good for someone, family history, a scary prognosis from a doctor, wanting to feel good about themselves. Maybe you just haven't found your true motivation. Ask yourself why you're really doing this. Think about what really matters most.

I'm a firm believer in loving yourself exactly the way you are. There are so many things to love. It doesn't just come down to your weight. And the people in your life who truly matter will love you as you are. You can do this. You just have to want it. Start by setting realistic goals for yourself. And think of that in terms of yourself and not anyone else. You don't want to look like that guy on the cover of the magazines or that actor in your favorite movie. You want to look like a better version of you. It's just like when I'm out for a run. I set my sights on a focal point a few hundred feet ahead and push myself to reach that small goal. And then set a new one. If I can just get that far.... And then a little further. And a little further. I think weight loss is much the same. Just push yourself a bit at a time. Week to week. Don't try to think about the big picture. When you stop thinking about what you can't do and focus on what you can, you'll find it so much easier. When I'm running and I'm exhausted, I don't think I can make it another two miles. But I CAN make it another two hundred feet. And what do you know? When I get that far, I realize I still have it in me to go a little bit further.

You've already come so far. You have everything to be proud of. Take PRIDE in what you have accomplished so far. You're healthier. You're stronger. You probably extended your life expectancy. Don't take the enjoyment out of food. Just find the enjoyment in change. If you are struggling especially with food, I can help you with trying to make better choices or finding substitutions for the things you really love. I'm great at meal planning. I have to manage the diets of my family and all of my kids at work. It's always just been about getting active for me. If the exercise plan you're using is too hard or not to your liking, maybe it's time to try something different. If you're getting discouraged with what you're doing now, remember you can always change. Find the thing that works for you. And good luck! You're doing a really amazing job. When those doubts creep into your mind, remember all the things you have to feel proud of. Most people don't come this far. They give up. You haven't.
  • acahane
    acahane Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Gosh I did not expect such a wealth of responces. Thank you all for your input and prespective. What I wrote this moring came from a bad space. I have been run down recently and I was wondering how you all dealt with the "inner dialogue" ...now I know.

Most of the time I am not like this, most of the time I conquer my inner demons and just get on with it. I have had a good food day so far and will be back at the gym tonight.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    sone of us will be be able to not track, some of us will never get off tracking.

I will always have to keep food and fitness in the front of my conciousness. I have seen myself let it slip twice now (first was 230 lbs to 155 stayed there two years, back up to 199, back down to 170 for my wedding dress, back up to 220, got pregnant, stayed 220, had baby still 220, crept to 210, Started MFP this time (march i think) and i am officially not overweight as of yesterday (not thin, still want to lose at least 10 lbs or at least tone up)

So i have "been around the block" and this is where i stand.

i have to weigh in daily. If i'm not tracking, i at least need to know that I'm not moving too far from my range.
    I really do better if i track my food
    I do better with real life goals than body goals (run a 5k DONE, run a 10k,, ride a 200km bike event, Tough mudder, Get up on a surfboard, do an unassisted chin-up, etc/) lose 10 lbs is boring, surfing is a fun real goal that requires a bunch of different aspects of strength, endurange and balance
    I will never stop comparing myself to others, but that's life, I compare income, education, priorities, energy level, etc. With other people. Not just my size, so that's just who i am.

I get my motivation from my own accomplishments. I just finished a 5km run. There are skinny girls that can't do that! I know my way around a gym, that's scary for a lot of people. I know SO MUCH about food. That's important to me as well. I don't feel bummed that i am so concious of what i eat, i feel proud that i have the awareness to be careful about what i put in my body. So many heavy people (or not heave people for that matter too) have no perspective on what is healthy food, or where their calories are coming from.

just some thoughts for you
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    How did you accept that you would have to count calories for the rest of your life?
    I actually take breaks. I calorie restrict for 3 months then take a break. During my maintenance period I relax on the calorie counting and just do a simple reminder once a week of what a serving truly is. But when I do a deficit, I weight/measure everything.
    How did you accept that a single slip up will damage your progress?
    Not really sure what you mean by this, as I don't believe that slip ups will damage your progress that bad. So what, you had one too many slices of pizza last night, start back up tomorrow.
    How did you accept that certain foods you will never be able to have just because you feel like it?
    I don't have cheat days. I allow myself whatever I want, I just pay attention to a serving. I don't sit with the box of oreos anymore. I have a serving, and then that is it. Studies have shown that people are more like to succeed when they allow themselves to indulge now and again. Besides, what is better? Learning how to have chocolate and still lose weight, or get rid of it completely and end up sitting around staring while everyone enjoys the cake at a coworker's baby shower?
    How did you accept that the battle to change your mind and body will be a life long process?
    I wanted this bad enough to make it happen.
    How did you stop comparing yourself to others and saying it's not fair they get to be thin naturally?
    Hate to say it, but 99% of those "naturally thin" people work for their bodies.
    How did you stop comparing yourself to others and saying I am just not dedicated enough, strong enough, good enough to change?
    Actually, if you are telling yourself that then you aren't dedicated enough. This shouldn't be about how they look, or what they eat, or how they change. This is about you changing, this is about you wanting it, and this is about you having enough guts to stand up to yourself and get it done.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to loose weight/get healthy for a while now and run into a mental barrier. I do good for a while but then I start stuggling and fall back into old habits.

How did you accept that you would have to count calories for the rest of your life? The minute I stop I gain weight
    How did you accept that a single slip up will damage your progress? Every week with a couple of mistakes in it and the scale does not change or goes up.
    How did you accept that certain foods you will never be able to have just because you feel like it? I have a cheat day once a week but if that craving strikes me on a non cheat day, I struggle
    How did you accept that the battle to change your mind and body will be a life long process?
    How did you stop comparing yourself to others and saying it's not fair they get to be thin naturally?
    How did you stop comparing yourself to others and saying I am just not dedicated enough, strong enough, good enough to change?

I've accepcted that I will have to count calories becuase I'm not like people who can 'eat normally'. Food can be an addiction for me and if I don't keep it under control I can fall back into it in the blink of an eye.

One slip up won't damage my progress. I used to believe that which is why I always quit in the past. Slip ups may slow me down, but at least I'm still moving forward.

There is nothing I'll never be able to eat. I eat my favorite foods all the time. I didn't get fat by eating them; I got fat by eating too much of them.

The battle gets easier every day but realize you'll have many ups and downs throughout the process.

Everyone has their own battles, even naturally thin people. I don't compare myself to them because I don't know what they're going through,

I now believe I am dedicated enough, strong enough and good enough as other people to make this change. You need to start believing it too.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Everytime I have found myself questioning whether I can really maintain this "way of life" for the long haul I have found myself on an unrealistic path.

A fad diet, a crash diet, diet pills, very low calorie diets...... notice the trend? Diets do not work (for me anyway). I do not restrict anything unless I know it causes me some physical issue.

I do not believe in cheat days - I believe in eating what I want and being responsible with my portions and choices. I eat pizza at least once a week. I eat ice cream every night. I still drink beer. I still eat in front of the tv.

I love the way running makes me feel. I love the way it feels to ride a fair ride for the first time as an adult (did that last night!) and I love taking no pills in the mornings. And, the best part is that I do not ever say, can I keep this up forever? because it is no longer hard. It just is. It is a means to an end. To me it is like working -- some days I wake up and say, "I don't feel like working today..." but I go because I need the money and like having a home and car, etc. Some mornings I wake up and say, "I don't want to work out today..." but I do because I like the way it makes me feel!
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Monitoring my food is like taking my medications in the morning. It's a habit now, not a chore and a positive habit that has taken over for some negative and damaging behaviors.

Logging in every day reminds me that skipping meals did me no good, for one. In fact, that screwed up my hunger response so badly that I couldn't rely on it anymore. Not eating all day long because I was busy and then going home meant fast food and beer then. So I was getting calories but no nutrition.

Not a great way to have a life!

If it fits in your macros works for me.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i have been at this for 40 days. not much yet i know. but i have yet to have a cheat day. and i think when i do it will definitely be a cheat MEAL not a whole DAY. but my motivation for this all is so strong within me that i havent even been tempted to sway. and im a big girl and i loved fast food. i keep in mind and daydream often of the end results and how cute i will look. so thats how i accept it.