A Running Q from a running noob

Options
Hey all- I've been doing C25K and I'm on week 7... I run in an indoor track. My 2 year old refuses to go to the nursery and plays on the basketball court in the center of the track (which he's allowed provided he stays off the track and there are no bball games going on)... Anyhow, sometimes he has to go #2, and now that I'm running straight 20-25 minutes, I have to stop and take him. I'm in there for about 3-5 minutes. When I come back out, my legs (mainly knee down) feel like they've fallen asleep, so much so I only did 3 laps before just calling it and cooling down... I just felt like they were jello and I didn't have enough control over them to keep running without injuring myself... My question is, once I stop, can I restart without this feeling; is it even normal in the first place??

Replies

• morganstrf
    morganstrf Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bump please?
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    On the stopping, it's normal to feel weaker after you stop for a few minutes. Just pick back up and you should be just fine after a couple of minutes. Half or more of this is mental.
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    my suggestion would be to try and slow it down just a bit. Your legs may not yet be strong enough to sustain the speed you're trying to accomplish.
  • lmroessler
    lmroessler Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was getting that numbness when I first started running after my run for the day. The best advice I have is to stretch really well both before and after. I think it eventually went away just because my body started getting used to that type of exercise and movement. That phase didn't last long. Also make sure your shoes are in good shape and not tied too tight.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Couple options:

1: make him go to the nursery. Remember you are mom...you WIN always

2: Put a diaper on him and make him wait

3: Just make him wait a few more minutes if he's potty trained

4: Not sure if this is just an excuse to stop for a break on your part. I've done C25K I know it's tough. You may just need to get past the mental part.

I have 4 kids, I don't stop my workout for them unless they are bleeding or some other medical emergency. Food and bathroom can wait.

Time for tough love momma

:flowerforyou:
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for running shoes prior to starting? Your at the point where I had feet/leg issues when I started.

Shoes r sooo important. Also maybe slow down pace/ check running form.

Have you thought of a jogging stroller? Mine loved it at that age!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Totally, totally normal and nothing to worry about. During the 3-5 minute break you are getting lactic acid building up in your leg muscles, and it makes them sluggish to get going again. Stretch, or jog in place while your son is in the bathroom, and start walking and then build back up to your jog when you get back to it. Breathe deeply to get as much oxygen as you can while taking breaks especially :)

Hope this helps and at least lets you know nothing to worry about.

Feel free to add me, I run all the time. I also do triathlons - we practice "brick" workouts where you bike and then start running after the ride. It's mainly called that because during the break from one activity to another your legs turn into "bricks", hahaha.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd say, when you get back onto the track, go around once at a fast walk and then get back to running again. See if this helps "wake" your legs back up. Also, what are you having to do when you take your son to the bathroom? Are you having to do any squatting yourself in there? When I take my daughter to the bathroom (which is rare right now cause we're only starting the TT process) I have to squat beside her for a minute or two. And that alone could cause a problem if you're having to do that straight from running.
    If that's not the problem...then, sorry but he's two and you're an adult, send him to the nursery where they can take him to the bathroom when he needs to go. If he's really cramping your exercise then you might just need to tell him he needs to go to the nursery while you exercise for a bit and you'll be back; after a couple times I bet he'll be fine going in there...
  • gambrel83
    Options
    Runner here. I believe what you're going through is lactic acid buildup in your legs. It starts to happen after you stop running, then makes your legs feel like cement when you try to run again. It should get better as you get in better shape, but might not go away completely. It is normal though and shouldn't be anything to worry about. If possible, you could try doing a slow warmup lap on the track, stretch, take your son to the bathroom, then do your full workout with hopefully no interruptions.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    4: Not sure if this is just an excuse to stop for a break on your part. I've done C25K I know it's tough. You may just need to get past the mental part.

Every runner deals with the mental part, and numbness and tingling isn't mental that is physical. It is a beginners mentality that you must push through the whole run with no break, imo. Even top marathoners stop for breaks now and then.

OP: Check your shoes, are you properly fitted, are they old, etc... And remember, it is okay to stop, let your kid do what they need to do and then return back to running. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. If that is how you get it done that is how you get it done. No harm in that.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Runner here. I believe what you're going through is lactic acid buildup in your legs. It starts to happen after you stop running, then makes your legs feel like cement when you try to run again. It should get better as you get in better shape, but might not go away completely. It is normal though and shouldn't be anything to worry about. If possible, you could try doing a slow warmup lap on the track, stretch, take your son to the bathroom, then do your full workout with hopefully no interruptions.

Could be this too. One way to combat it is to go back into walking again actually. Some marathon coaches actually have their runners run hard to create this, then walk, and then run again....sort of an advanced run/walk program that you are already doing.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids. I run. No kid of mine is going to dictate to me whether or not he goes into a nursery if I need him to. The volunteers at my church were so glad when my son went from the infant room to th walker's room. He HATED the infant room. Too bad. Everyone survived.

Don't let a 2 year old get used to being the boss. You'll pay dearly for it in the end.

As for the dead legs, I think you've been given some good insights. It's normal. Walk it out bit. Get back to it.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with lizsmith1976 that it will probably help a lot to stretch of jog while your son is using the bathroom. If that isn't possible, allow yourself a lap or so walking once you get back to the track to re-prime your legs after the break in running. For me, and many others, taking a break while building endurance for longer runs can be more challenging because it throws off your rhythm. I'm finishing the 10K trainer system now, and I've gotten to the point that the start of any interval feels rougher than the end because I have to sort my rhythm back out. Good luck, and congrats on being so close to the end of C25K!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    personally i know that if i'm running, and then stop for a couple of minutes, i have trouble getting re-started. it's half mental/half physical.

take your kiddo to the bathroom before hand, or put him in the nursery.
  • MarthaJones42
    MarthaJones42 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Totally, totally normal and nothing to worry about. During the 3-5 minute break you are getting lactic acid building up in your leg muscles, and it makes them sluggish to get going again. Stretch, or jog in place while your son is in the bathroom, and start walking and then build back up to your jog when you get back to it. Breathe deeply to get as much oxygen as you can while taking breaks especially :)

Hope this helps and at least lets you know nothing to worry about.

Feel free to add me, I run all the time. I also do triathlons - we practice "brick" workouts where you bike and then start running after the ride. It's mainly called that because during the break from one activity to another your legs turn into "bricks", hahaha.

I agree with this, try and keep moving. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If there is lactic acid buildup in the legs after only 20 minutes of running (which is the side effect of too much carb burning for anaerobic effort), then you need to stop sprinting right at the start of your workout.

Lactic acid is cleared out immediately and while it's produced, even if you were really going an intensity to make enough to worry about. Which I really doubt you are.

I don't think that could be it, unless you are sprinting for you, which isn't going to work in the long run. Slow down.

Which is probably going to be the case anyway.

Are you really nailing your heels into the ground or something instead of bending knees somewhat and almost landing flat footed?
    May also have some lower back pinched nerve thing going on. But that would be evident when you stop at the end too.

Are you doing a warmup walk for about 5 min at first, before you start running? Tight muscles in calves and achilles tendon can cause blood supply problems or pinch nerve problem too, causing numbness.

Does shaking your leg down get rid if it quickly, like when your foot falls asleep?
  • morganstrf
    morganstrf Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! My son is toilet training, and I don't want to give him any kind of laxatives to go, he does generally clear his bowels during the time I take my run-- I do try to get him to go before, and sometimes I can sometimes I can't. I won't make any changes at this point with my son at this point.... If I have to stop, and can't continue, I'm okay with that, this week alone I've run 10 miles in 2 mile+ increments. I just needed to know about the physical state of my legs... I'm new to running, which is why I asked?

It's not mental; it's definitely physical that's why I asked. I have no problem running 25 mins straight. Mentally, I could make myself keep going, which is why I did the 3 laps (it didn't go away, and after getting this far, I certainly don't want to injure myself and stop all the progress I've made). I've never quit before with the program- it's completely physical and I'm trying to figure if its safe to push thru- I'm not going to stumble? Because that's what it feels like... It does feel the same after I run 25 mins straight, and I've driven home...

I'm going at a 5.6-5.8 mile per hr pace, which is what I've been at the entire program.

I am squatting to help pull his pants off and put them back on.

The cement feeling completely describes how I feel! I think it is lactic acid after looking it up online... I'll try to keep moving next time in the bathroom...

Thank you!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Morgan,

I love running too! I run 3-4 miles three times a week and walk the other four days. I have been running on and off since I was in my twenties.

I've had that "weak" feeling in my legs when I've stopped running to quickly. Others gave wonderful advice, but I would like to add this: when baby needs to potty, slow your running, then slow to a brisk walk, slow walk, and then come to a stop. It might help.