Bad Body Odour since starting MFP? - Help Please

Options

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Diet changes body chemistry, so agree with the plenty of greens (due to the chlorophyll) and water statement. Also, everyone's body chemistry is a little different. That's why there are so many perfumes and colognes to choose from. I know I can wear things like Drakkar and Acqua Di Gio and be fine, but colognes like Polo and Obsession, smells bad on me after it mixes with my natural sweat. I was also using an Old Spice deodorant, but at the end of the day...whew! Wife got me some natural roll-on and now even after a long sweaty day, no smell that I can detect and she has not complained any to me.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone whose sense of smell borders on having a superpower, here is a PSA. Please do not use perfume to cover up BO.

I'm not saying this as someone who hates perfume, or claims that it irritates my sinuses or allergies. I'm saying it smells very different when applied to a bad smelling person than when applied to a neutral or good smelling person.

Modern perfumes are chemically composed of a combination of two types of chemical agents:

1. agents that have a nice smell
    2. agents that attach to smelly molecules and cause them to disperse (this is why cheaper perfumes have alcohol in them; more expensive perfumes have something similar but more odor neutral). This is actually what's mostly in the bottle.

This second agent will pick up not just the good smells in the perfume bottle but also your BO smells and your stale bad laundry smells and your bad breath and your stale cigarette smoke blend them together in a witches brew and CARRY THEM LONGER DISTANCES IN A CLOUD AROUND YOUR BODY. It is seriously gagworthy.

PLEASE do not use perfume to try to cover up BO; it will only make it more noticeable and more vile to everyone around you. If you cannot correct a BO problem at its source and must "cover up" the smell, don't use perfume. Use sweet-smelling sachets in your laundry or use essential oils that have not been formulated into an actual perfume including that sneaky second agent.

If you are a neutral to good smelling person, perfume away. Just please don't add it to funk.
  • RosannaElizabethL
    RosannaElizabethL Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Stress hormones can increase sweat production. There's stress involved in changing your diet, so that could be it.
    Otherwise, drink a lot of water and use maximum strength deodorant.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    confused....
    so like, did MFP cause this???????
    ha ha ha ha
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Have you showered since you started using mfp?

Haha you made my day!!!
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think just like our hair..the PH can get unbalanced..Id say try some different deodorants:) something our body can adjust to...Best of luck to ya:)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Have you showered since you started using mfp?

well, there went my question.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I wash my *kitten* regularly so I don't have this problem. I suggest you start doing the same.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was my *kitten* regularly......

Sorry to hear that.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I was my *kitten* regularly......

Sorry to hear that.

lol..wash!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Did you start working out properly, and you have never done before in your life? I mean, beyond crappy PE at school- have you actually worked your butt of before? I know some people that will stop using machines at the gym because their face turns red. If you have never been used to good workout, smelling BO might be a new discovery..
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Try adding a cup of vinegar to the wash, kills all the stinks in the clothes.

As far as the deodorants go, be cautious about what you use, the more Aluminum, the worse. Aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer's disease.

That being said, the Clinical Strength Secret is amazing, I only use it if I know I will have to be around people immediately following a workout, otherwise it's regular strength.

And so what? You stink a bit. The only way to avoid it, is to sit on the couch and do nothing. I for one, would rather stink.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My workout clothes...especially the cotton blend stuff... STINKS!!! When I wear them and they get heated up....YIKES. But, after I shower, I no longer stink. The vinegar suggestion is solid. You can also buy sports wash and wash your athletic clothing separately. Should help a ton!!
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Stress hormones can increase sweat production. There's stress involved in changing your diet, so that could be it.
    Otherwise, drink a lot of water and use maximum strength deodorant.

^^^ This and Secret makes a clinical strength deodorant/antiperspirant that is for extreme cases
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    what materials are you wearing for working out? I find that the under armor style synthetic fabrics trap smells. you might need something that simply breathes better. Or try natural fibers like cotton or wool. Wool t-shirts are amazing.
  • mustangmonie
    mustangmonie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I can be outside on a 95 degree sunny day and sweat (or shall I say "glisten"?) and no smell. I can wake up in a menopausal night sweat, no smell, but when I hit the gym I can smell myself about 30 minutes into a work out. Work out sweat is just a different kind of stink and as others have said some of it is the fabrics workout clothes are made of. Follow the laundering advice you have received, it should help. I say embrace the odor, it is a sign you are exercising and that is a good thing.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

yes this^

when i first had to go low carb because of wheat issues and insulin resistance, i smelled like ammonia everytime i worked out. its better now but i wash my work out clothes a lot and use Purex crystals in the wash and they smell divine!
  • baybeejulia
    baybeejulia Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Alright everyone I figured it out.

I recently started laser hair removal on my underarms, and due to the fact that I'm not waxing it any more, dead skin cells are piling up. Solution? Exfoliating more lol. Thanks yall!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    yes, I have it really bad, my shirts reek even after i wash them i can still smell it.

I have found that Tide Sport can help with that problem. I kept thinking my clothes smelled like BO....this stuff works....