Are GMOs Safe?

Options

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    no one knows. end of story.

My personal opinion....^ this!

Oh ya, and I don't have guinea pig tatooed across my forehead. But hey, be my guest and do as you please.
  • liquidleaves
    Options
    Yes its true that corporations like Monsanto are controlling farmers, and that is why farmers won't resist. That is their livelihood. But don't you think that it is sad that companies are doing this?? This is a problem. We can't be afraid of going against something just because we're afraid. What about doing whats right? Do we honestly want our future generations to have health problems because of GMO foods? If you want to eat it fine...your choice. But I know that what they are doing is wrong.

We can support farmers by doing the right thing and standing up for them as well. Buy organic, buy local.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto/
  • donnahague58
    Options
    Yes its true that corporations like Monsanto are controlling farmers, and that is why farmers won't resist. That is their livelihood. But don't you think that it is sad that companies are doing this?? This is a problem. We can't be afraid of going against something just because we're afraid. What about doing whats right? Do we honestly want our future generations to have health problems because of GMO foods? If you want to eat it fine...your choice. But I know that what they are doing is wrong.

We can support farmers by doing the right thing and standing up for them as well. Buy organic, buy local.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto/
  • liquidleaves
    Options
    Obviously GMOs are NOT safe. All of Europe and other countries ban the use of genetically modified seeds. And the United States has more obese people than any other place in the world. Why do you think that is? There is something to these seeds that grow our food.. Oh and btw we would NOT run out of food ...you can buy ORGANIC seeds not treated with pesticides or infiltrated with some genetic material. Honestly, who can believe that those seeds are safe?? That is why many people have genetic disorders and our DNA is being messed with. We need to stand together against the EVIL corporations of this world such as Monsanto that controls all of these seeds and get them OUT!!!!!!!

Didn't you hear that the US isn't the number one fattest country anymore, that title goes to Mexico..... and people are obese in this country because we as a nation got lazy and consume way to much food....

True the US is lazy but our eating habits and Mexico's eating habits are terrible. And the fact that McDonald's are around every corner...ugh. Nonetheless, GMO's gotta go or at least be labeled, for people who don't want to eat it.
  • donnahague58
    Options
    Sorry about that last post. What I want to ask all of you is, are you afraid of a mum or afraid to eat mustard? If no to both of those, their seed is what is put into a corn plant. I just wanted to let you all know the truth and it's from a farmer's wife. This is the last you will hear from me on the subject.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Obviously GMOs are NOT safe. All of Europe and other countries ban the use of genetically modified seeds. And the United States has more obese people than any other place in the world. Why do you think that is? There is something to these seeds that grow our food.. Oh and btw we would NOT run out of food ...you can buy ORGANIC seeds not treated with pesticides or infiltrated with some genetic material. Honestly, who can believe that those seeds are safe?? That is why many people have genetic disorders and our DNA is being messed with. We need to stand together against the EVIL corporations of this world such as Monsanto that controls all of these seeds and get them OUT!!!!!!!

You do realize Europe is having skyrocketing obesity rates.

http://www.dw.de/rising-eu-obesity-rings-alarm-bells-in-brussels/a-16821112
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Obviously lol. Is GMO corn the reason you have all that weight to lose? Come on.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Obviously GMOs are NOT safe. All of Europe and other countries ban the use of genetically modified seeds.

Uh...I posted a link to 10 years of studies done by the EU stating GMO was safe.
    And the United States has more obese people than any other place in the world. Why do you think that is?

I don't, Mexico has the most obese people in the world. Do you even fact check?
  • liquidleaves
    Options
    I am sure that Monsanto paid those people who did so called 'research' off. :)
  • Mslmesq
    Options

That is inaccurate information as well. Mexico has surpassed US in obesity rates, however they are far from being the most obese in the world. Check the WHO website for latest obesity rates by country.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    We don't know if they're safe or not. They haven't been proven to be dangerous, but they haven't been proven to be safe, either. There are many substances that were one thought to be safe and were later found to be dangerous, after a bunch of people died or became ill from exposure or ingestion.

Whether GMOs are safe or not will be discovered at some point. Until then, the consumer should be informed if the food they're putting in their bodies contain GMOs.

Monsanto is not to be trusted, in my opinion.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/change_big_picture/10460786
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that last post. What I want to ask all of you is, are you afraid of a mum or afraid to eat mustard? If no to both of those, their seed is what is put into a corn plant. I just wanted to let you all know the truth and it's from a farmer's wife. This is the last you will hear from me on the subject.

Flower or mustard seeds aren't going into corn plants to create Roundup resistance or pest resistance. Not sure who told your husband this, but it's goofy and wrong. Odd that the truth seekers and GMO freedom fighters here aren't correcting this though. Guess if it supports the narrative, it gets a pass no matter how obviously wrong.

As with most of these topics, would be fascinating to have a checklist of government conspiracies to see who buys into what.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

That is inaccurate information as well. Mexico has surpassed US in obesity rates, however they are far from being the most obese in the world. Check the WHO website for latest obesity rates by country.

WHO obesity rates are from 2009. UN study, done this year, has Mexico at over 32%.
  • liquidleaves
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_engineering

Obviously you have been misled on whats really going on. There is more than mustard and flowers being bred into the seeds. They are keyword GENETIC ORGANISMS.

And as for as the EU, http://www.ir-d.dk/gmo-lose-europe-victory-for-environmental-organisations/

We need to get our foods LABELED.

www.organicconsumers.org
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    In . To read later.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options

You say that like everyone has access to, and can afford to buy locally grown organic food. Do you have any idea how many kids in the US go to bed hungry? Are you really going to tell their parents to buy organic food? And before you say that local produce is cheaper, not everyone has access to local produce.

Americans did not get obese by eating genetically altered corn. We got fat because we ate too much and moved too little.

After you tell the hungry kids to only eat organic, next you can tell the kids going blind in certain parts of the Philippines not to eat the Golden Rice....

"Not owned by any company, Golden Rice is being developed by a nonprofit group called the International Rice Research Institute with the aim of providing a new source of vitamin A to people both in the Philippines, where most households get most of their calories from rice, and eventually in many other places in a world where rice is eaten every day by half the population. Lack of the vital nutrient causes blindness in a quarter-million to a half-million children each year."
  • Mslmesq
    Options

WHO obesity rates are from 2009. UN study, done this year, has Mexico at over 32%.

<Sigh>

WHO also has Mexico at 32.8%. Still under at least a quick count of a dozen other countries. They still are not the most obese country in the world, which is what you wrote.

Query: do you prefer to be accurate or right?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

<Sigh>

WHO also has Mexico at 32.8%. Still under at least a quick count of a dozen other countries. They still are not the most obese country in the world, which is what you wrote.

What is the most obese country?
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    <--- pro small farm, NON GMO, Organic... not that I eat completely clean but I try

http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/gmo-myths-and-truths/
  • Mslmesq
    Options

<Sigh>

What is the most obese country?

Ah geez. There are actually A LOT of countries. A quick glance and I'd probably say Nauru. But there are actually a lot with higher obesity than either the US or Mexico. Albeit, neither of us are doing that well either.