How do you picky eaters eat good and lose weight?

Options

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    time to put on your big boy pants on
  • They probably pick what they want to eat. Following picking activities, they eat it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Humans are amazing eating machines. We can get used to and even enjoy eating just about anything after about 3 weeks. This is why all the other bi-pedal intelligent apes went extinct, but we are still here (or so the theory goes).

Since you like burgers, try adding finely chopped (or even pureed) veggies to the meat. Use just a tiny amount and probably start with something that is really mild in flavor like carrots or zucchini. Even though you won't be able to taste it, your body is going to develop a desire for those foods after a while. You will begin producing the digestive enzymes to break down the nutrients in those foods, and the added hit of vitamins is going to have you feeling great.

It is like a flavor vaccine.

There is a cook book on the market called "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeild. The idea is to get nutrition into kids who are picky eaters. I bought it to get nutrition into my extremely picky husband. It worked!

After a lifetime of eschewing anything vegetable, I served him a shrimp salad made with bell peppers, quinoa, cabbage, onion, tomatoes and topped with cilantro. He not only ate the portion I served him, he went back for seconds and took the leftovers with him for lunch the next day.

I was shocked and amazed. I know my husband will eat things like the shrimp salad when I serve it to him because he knows it's good for him, but I've never seen him seek out a salad because he enjoyed it. It can be done, you just have to keep at it. :flowerforyou:
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Some people have legitimate picky tastes, but most just have bad habits, some going all the way back to childhood.

My TODDLER has a more varied palate, because we experiment and try new things. She doesn't always like it, but she will always try something. She always spits out mushrooms, but we keep trying. She loves curry and octopus and will take broccoli over oreos, even when offered both.

Be braver than my 2 year old, and you'll be fine.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I also create "healthier" versions of foods that I like, which really only means substituting certain things like Greek yogurt for sour cream. That adds protein yet subtracts total calories.

But in the end, I just make sure that my calorie deficit is in place and eat what I want. As long as you meet your calorie and macro goals, the "what" you eat makes little difference.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Its time to grow up and eat like an adult. Little children are picky eaters. Adults do it to get attention.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want. Just not as much of it. That simple. That said try some new food you might find you like it!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I love mac and cheese, and ham. I just don't have all my not-entirely-healthy foods at the same time, and I do eat the super healthy foods I love, including the vegetables that I've learned to love. Again, I cook, from scratch, and that gives me a lot of control over what I eat.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    My father is an extremely picky eater, and I mean extremely. You know what it means? Every single family dinner has to revolve around his picky eating habits. We are limited to the restaurants he can find something to eat at, or Mom has to host everything because even food he loves he won't eat if someone other than her makes it just the way he wants it. It is not fun, and it is very frustrating and at times downright insulting for people who love him and want to enjoy their time with him socially.

I'll give you this thought... is this what you want to subject your current and future family to?

Expand your tastebuds and be willing to try something new. I grew up finicky because of my Dad to the point where going to an ethnic restaurant terrified me, but I've since learned to love and eat almost anything. Be bold and try something new. You never know what you might find that you love and have never tried because you had a mental block about it.

You will find life so much more enjoyable.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Its time to grow up and eat like an adult. Little children are picky eaters. Adults do it to get attention.

I disagree. I think that eating is a wonderful pleasure in life. I don't go out of my way to eat things that I don't like, however I like to experiment with new foods, and with ingredients that I haven't liked in the past. That doesn't mean that I don't like attention. However the reason that I'm a picky eater is that I like to have control over what goes into my body and what kind of experience I have when I eat. I want the enjoyment to be worth the calories.
  • kjmenser
    kjmenser Posts: 30
    Options
    I had to become A LOT less picky!
  • MUL98
    MUL98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

This.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Either..

1. Eat less of the high-calorie foods that you do like.
    2. Eat more of the low-calorie foods that you might not like.

Both take willpower.

No silver bullet.
  • a11ye1izabeth
    a11ye1izabeth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am also very very picky.When I was younger I was never forced to try any foods I didnt want. I have been trying to be more adventurous in my food selections. Try googleing recipes for picky eaters, I can usually find something I like that is prepared differently from how I'm use to eating it so I'm not eating the same boring dish all the time. Just make sure you stay under your calorie goal if you are not willing to try more things outside of your comfort zone. I've lost weight and still eat the sames things I did when I was heavy.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Some picky eaters just can't change. I am helping a friend with her diet. She has tried hard to eat more foods, but just can't seem to do it. But she is watching calories and eating her same old foods and doing good. She doesn't eat any meat and only a few vegetables. But she is staying in her calorie range, taking a multi vitamin, eating more fruits and is losing weight. You can do it.
  • cameronwheeler
    Options
    I don't understand how some of you can say its Time to grow up. I don't like those foods so I don't eat them. I grew up with a dad that eats about everything and growing up I was given the option of trying new foods but I couldn't even take the smell of foods. I have tried many foods and don't like much at all. I've tried opening up to foods and just don't eat them. That's like me telling you to grow up and do things you refuse to do, like maybe skydiving, or something you don't like
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You're 19. Are you going to spend the rest of your life living on burgers and fries because you can't wrap your mind around trying other foods? Maybe you can get your mommy to grind up some veggies and hide them in your food? It seriously is as easy as growing up and making better choices.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am an extremely fussy eater but most of the things that disgust me are terrible for you anyway. Fast food, red meat that sort of thing.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm a picky eater. I want to eat only good delicious food which is often too expensive...
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You will get over some of that.

At 19, when I was in college, I ate a horrible diet. To be fair, most of the time I was 'fasting' just so I could drink alcohol, but when I did eat- it was bad.

At 22 I had this epiphany that I was >embarrassed< when I ate out because I'd always pick things that had the least vegetables in it, or start picking things out. As an adult going into a professional industry, there was no way I could keep that up.

So, I started eating vegetables. Mainly by taking one bit of vegetable and a huge mouthful of pasta or meat or whatever, and forcing myself. Gagging if I had to - but it was swallowed.

Now - 3 years later, no issues. Yes, I still dislike some vege (i.e. zucchini, cucumbers) but most of them I am absolutely fine with and can eat completely vege meals.

Good luck! But there's no easy way out of this one :)