Running Before Breakfast?

Options
I've heard a lot of people say that if you jog before consuming anything, so like in the morning before breakfast you'll lose your muscle mass, meanwhile other people say that you burn fat faster. feedback?

thanks

Replies

• KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump cause i would like to know too. i have a really hard time running if i have eaten anything within hours!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people say that if you jog before consuming anything, so like in the morning before breakfast you'll lose your muscle mass, meanwhile other people say that you burn fat faster. feedback?

thanks

Stop hanging out with idiots.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Neither is true.

If you don't like to eat before running, that's fine. if you like to have a snack an hour before, that is fine too. Muscle loss will come if you are eating at a deficit, not getting enough protein and consistently running for over an hour.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    There is no real advantages between the 2 and it strictly comes down to personal preference. I tend to eat my normal 1200 calories breakfast an hour before my workout but if I do a split and workout in the evening (around 5) then I prefer to wait til after my workout to eat supper..... Pick what works best for you......
  • MadisonHein
    Options
    @cheekykeke yeah i suppose it's best to have a little something before any workout

Thankss u guys x
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    They lied. You don't lose muscle mass. You die. Run before breakfast and you will shrivel up and die.

FACT
  • MadisonHein
    Options
    They lied. You don't lose muscle mass. You die. Run before breakfast and you will shrivel up and die.

FACT

interesting...

.__.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

thanks

Consuming BCAA's before morning cardio is theorized to prevent burning muscles mass. BCAA's cross from the stomach directly into the bloodstream so no need to be broken down like protein shakes.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

FACT

Proven 100%. If you've survived, you're just a special snowflake.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I only run before breakfast. The reason being is that my stomach is feeling best on empty.
    I've tried a little toast before and my run turned into washroom stops, so ain't doing that again.

I don't know what the research shows, but I lost 65 pounds in the past year and run on empty stomach in the mornings. So it sure works for me.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    common sense you will access fat stores more quickly if your stomach is empty. If you have just eaten, the food will be used then fat stores. so much misinformation that people are adamant about.
  • Socalgal13
    Options
    It depends on how far I am going to run in the AM. If less then 5 miles I will eat 100 Calories worth of almonds and a glass of water to hydrate. If I have a longer run I will get up earlier then I need to and eat a real breakfast.

Remember most likely you have not eaten since the evening before and so your body is on empty. Eating a little something just makes sense. You will not lose muscle mass from eating before you run or vice versa. You loss muscle mass from in activity
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I usually with have a smoothie or banana before a run. I have experienced feeling faint during a workout before, so i know I need something. Plus during my hour run I have a low cal/low sugar Sustain Sport drink mix in my water to prevent this.
    So from my personal experience I should have something light before-hand.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I run at night usually so I definitely eat beforehand. I don't run right after a big meal though.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but if I'm running 6-8 miles or less I go without eating beforehand but then I always have coffee with cream and sugar when I first wake up. If I'm doing more than 8 I'll probably eat some easy-to-digest cereal or something an hour or so beforehand. Or almonds. Those are calories without feeling like anything in your stomach. If I'm going for a really long run, I'll eat extra the night before and then cereal or something in the morning.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    If I run 5 miles or less, I run on an empty stomach. If I run more than 5 miles I eat something (toast w/ almond butter). If I run more than 6 miles, I add in fuel (Gu) during the run, at every 4 miles.

I'm not interested in cray theories - I prefer an empty stomach, but if doing a distance, I fuel for distance. The end. But my runs are less about "burning fat" and more about "running." Good luck!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    common sense you will access fat stores more quickly if your stomach is empty. If you have just eaten, the food will be used then fat stores. so much misinformation that people are adamant about.

Nope. You will find that a lot of what is "common sense" is wrong.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I run first thing in the morning and always before breakfast. Breakfast is like my reward for a good run. By then I've worked up an appetite. I find it very hard to believe it makes any significant difference whether you do or not.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating a 500 calorie deficit and burning 500 calories a day worth of fat, why does it matter whether that occurs during a run, or while I'm eating, or driving a car, or sitting on a couch, or sleeping, or taking a dump, or whatever else?
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes run on an empty stomach, but only if I'm doing fewer than 6 miles (I run at an avg 10min/mi pace). If I go longer, I'll have something before hand and usually bring something along for the run.

I've also heard the muscle mass idea, but from what I've read in various running articles, etc, it's not proven.