How much is too much?

Options
I'm on the treadmill everyday for about 40-45 mins. I don't do any other exercises and was wondering, I am over doing it? Not a lot of weight loss, but there is some. Any advice from you pros will be appreciated.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    no resistance training of any type? just walking on the treadmill for <hour each day? that's probably under doing it when it comes to physical exertion. however, if all you're interested in is weight loss as opposed to body composition, all you really need to do is get your calories consumed correct.
  • Socalgal13
    Options
    Hi, are you running or walking on the treadmill. If you are walking I do not think you are over doing it at all. If running, I would at least take one day off a week. I train 6 days a week with one day where I do nothing. Perhaps the slow weight loss is due to a small deficit of calories each day. You have to have a deficit of approx 3500 calories to lose a pound so if you have a deficit of 500 calories each day, the math would say you would lose one pound a week. Good Luck
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am walking fast with an incline...I also have minute spurts where I run
  • zophiel67
    Options
    Rest days allow your body to heal and that's a necessary thing. But like others have pointed out, loss is just about calorie balance. If you're already on a deficit but you're using the calories burned on the treadmill's display to calculate your intake, you might want to invest in a good HRM or at least a decent pedometer.
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    no resistance training of any type? just walking on the treadmill for <hour each day? that's probably under doing it when it comes to physical exertion. however, if all you're interested in is weight loss as opposed to body composition, all you really need to do is get your calories consumed correct.

^^ Agreed ^^
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If you're getting your heartrate up for most of the 45 minutes, you're probably not underdoing it. At the end of a workout, I like to have that tired but victorious feeling - the one that says I did something hard and kicked it's tail. That's how I "know" I've done enough.

If you're able to do the rest of your daily activities and you aren't feeling unwell or lethargic, you're probably not overdoing it. There is a value in taking a rest day from time to time, but the need for it can depend on how hard you're working on the other days. I take at least one rest day a week, often 2. (I focus on lifting heavy, which I do 4 times a week, but at least one of my 'rest' days from lifting is generally a running day, so not fully rest).

If you want to see results on the scale, that is going to come from your diet. As long as you eat less than your body uses, you'll lose weight. Sometimes it can take a few weeks to see results, and loss is not linear, but it's okay to tweak your diet if you're not seeing the results you want.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    nah it isnt too much

but i do agree with throwing in some resistance training to improve body composition.
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You're probably better off doing a good jog for at least 20 minutes than walking for 45.
  • TomDonis
    TomDonis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying, throw some resistance training in too.
    I'm having a rest day today which for me means light exercise only, so I did 4 hours walking on the treadmill.
    If you want to lose weight with minimal exercise then you will need to worry more about what you are eating rather than your output.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I too was using my treadmill 6 days a week for aout 60 minutes. I hit a plateau and I didn't get past it until I added weight training to my routine. Now I do 3 days treadmill, 3 days weights. I have seen much bigger results in my weight loss once I added weights to the mix.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Walk with weights! To add resistance and make sure your calorie intake is correct!
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    Options
    Thank you all....guess I knew the answers, I just needed input
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my training to a max of 7 hours a week total over 6 days.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Take a rest day once a week, but you are not overdoing it at all.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    Options
    Overdoing it - absolutely not. You're not going to accomplish much in terms of weight loss though so if that's the only reason you're doing it, it's time to adjust your routine. Throw in some resistance training.

No I just had 2 fistula surgeries and need go slow