Running Before Breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just prefer running on an empty stomach (for under 5 or 6 miles, otherwise I eat a very light breakfast)

Never liked running after eating/drinking, gave me terrible stomach pain every time.

Kind of silly to think you would lose muscle mass or burn more fat or whatever if you run on an empty stomach. Just do whatever works for you I guess. It's mostly trial and error from what I've learned.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    common sense you will access fat stores more quickly if your stomach is empty. If you have just eaten, the food will be used then fat stores. so much misinformation that people are adamant about.
    If I'm eating a 500 calorie deficit and burning 500 calories a day worth of fat, why does it matter whether that occurs during a run, or while I'm eating, or driving a car, or sitting on a couch, or sleeping, or taking a dump, or whatever else?

Because it's impossible to have all of your excess calories burned come from stored fat. The deficit will burn stored fat, glycogen, and muscles. There are many variables that affect how much of each are burned. Anything from metabolism. diet, current body fat, age. There are just too many things to count. Best way to maximize burning fat stores is to ensure your glycogen stores are already low and consume some form of BCAAs. So long as there are BCAA's in your blood your body is less likely to catabolize muscles for energy. And as always, individual results will vary.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    common sense you will access fat stores more quickly if your stomach is empty. If you have just eaten, the food will be used then fat stores. so much misinformation that people are adamant about.
    If I'm eating a 500 calorie deficit and burning 500 calories a day worth of fat, why does it matter whether that occurs during a run, or while I'm eating, or driving a car, or sitting on a couch, or sleeping, or taking a dump, or whatever else?

Because it's impossible to have all of your excess calories burned come from stored fat. The deficit will burn stored fat, glycogen, and muscles. There are many variables that affect how much of each are burned. Anything from metabolism. diet, current body fat, age. There are just too many things to count. Best way to maximize burning fat stores is to ensure your glycogen stores are already low and consume some form of BCAAs. So long as there are BCAA's in your blood your body is less likely to catabolize muscles for energy. And as always, individual results will vary.
    You completely missed the point, Ssgt.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I can run on empty only if I'm currently in ketosis. Then it doesn't seem to matter at all if I run fasted or not. If I'm not in keto I definitely need some fuel before running, else I quickly get tired, light headed and nauseated and can make 5k at most (I usually run 10k), then I gas out and it's game over.

My advice is: don't listen to any science, listen to your body. If you're doing OK fasted, run fasted, if you're doing better after having some food -- have some food. Results will come either way, if you stick with it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    There have been some studies on running and cardio fasted vs. unfasted, and there were some indications that it may be slightly beneficial to run fasted in the morning. So, there may be some slight benefit.

But, there was also a recent study published in February that shows a slight benefit to eating first.

And you will still need to eat during the day, and from what we know from the strong evidence that meal timing doesn't matter, it probably doesn't matter at all. Some some studies show a slight benefit to fasted, a recent one to unfasted, and there is plenty of other evidence that suggests it won't matter at all.

So, what to do? Stick with what works for you. If you enjoy running in the morning prior to breakfast do that, if you want to eat first, do that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I'm always very careful about trying to apply "common sense" to science. It often doesn't work well. For example, common sense tells me that a heavier object, when dropped, should fall faster than a lighter object but that turns out not to be true.

Common sense is a starting place but it's not the end all be all.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You completely missed the point, Ssgt.

Good call, I see your point. In the end you're right; calories burned throughout the entire day are what matters most. There are adjustments that one can make to help promote progress but it's not going to make an astounding impact. BeachIron said it best, each individual will vary. As the old saying goes; "If it isn't broke..."
  • DesertRoseC
    DesertRoseC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this. http://www.boxingscene.com/exercise/1312.php

First thing in the morning works for me. I get it over and done with and I do feel better during the day.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can argue with Alan Aragon...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is Alan Aragon a god?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Is Alan Aragon a god?
    The next time someone asks you if you are a god, SAY YES!
  • GBPack93
    GBPack93 Posts: 76
    Options
    If you are running for performance I usually eat first. Something like a powerbar, banana, or peanut butter toast is great before a run. I've noticed a better pace by 5-10 seconds per mile when I eat before. That is for runs that last a while though, over 1 hour, however long that would be for you depends.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is Alan Aragon a god?
    The next time someone asks you if you are a god, SAY YES!

it's okay. i know what to do if i give the wrong answer

aFG3OaZ.gif
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I'm always very careful about trying to apply "common sense" to science. It often doesn't work well. For example, common sense tells me that a heavier object, when dropped, should fall faster than a lighter object but that turns out not to be true.

Common sense is a starting place but it's not the end all be all.

"Common sense" is the cause of much if not most fitness misinformation.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There have been some studies on running and cardio fasted vs. unfasted, and there were some indications that it may be slightly beneficial to run fasted in the morning. So, there may be some slight benefit.

But, there was also a recent study published in February that shows a slight benefit to eating first.

And you will still need to eat during the day, and from what we know from the strong evidence that meal timing doesn't matter, it probably doesn't matter at all. Some some studies show a slight benefit to fasted, a recent one to unfasted, and there is plenty of other evidence that suggests it won't matter at all.

So, what to do? Stick with what works for you. If you enjoy running in the morning prior to breakfast do that, if you want to eat first, do that.

Some of the "slight advantage" might show up in individuals who are already at low levels of body fat and need to get leaner. For the average person, there is zero effect.

At best, fasted workouts are neutral--meaning that one might be able to perform at a quality level (mainly because people have a lot more stored energy than they think, even when in a "fasted" state). They do not confer any real advantage in either weight loss or performance.
  • MadisonHein
    Options
    thanks everyone x
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It does make a difference do the research.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    If I exercise in the morning, I eat afterwards. Today I walk/ran before eating anything, I just make sure to have water close at hand.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It does make a difference do the research.
    I posted the research in this thread, proving it doesn't make a difference, unless you are a high level athlete looking to get a bit leaner. Maybe you should do the research. Or at least read the research that's been posted that proves you wrong.

Also, your body will use stored glucose mixed with stored fat, both in a fasted and fed state, as be honest, the human digestive system just doesn't work fast enough to provide energy from food for exercise, unless you're talking about eating 3 or 4 hours before exercise. In other words, it simply doesn't matter.