NSV: My brain is changing

Options
I decided to take a quick 20 minute spin on the elliptical today and as I was stretching before I got on, something weird happened. I ran my hand along the back of my leg from my ankle to my butt and rather than thinking about how I feel a layer of fat there that I wish would just disappear overnight, I thought about how great my muscles felt underneath that layer. They felt strong and I can’t wait for the world to be able to see how strong they are. As I was on the elliptical during a slower interval, I grabbed my water bottle to get a drink and put my other hand on my waist and with each breath I felt my ribs and abs move underneath. My thoughts weren’t about my belly or back fat, but how wonderful it was to feel my body working and not feeling winded. (And the fact that I could balance on the elliptical with no hands felt pretty damn great too! Lol.)

I currently weigh 217.8 lb and I’ll never be able to weigh just 120 like some women on here- and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with either of us! Even when I was younger in middle school and just a little bit chubby, I still weighed about 120 and that was before my growth kicked in. I’m not meant to be a “skinny” girl, but I can be a strong, healthy girl and I will get there. I’m down 45.2 lbs since January 12th and estimate that my goal will be around 145 lbs, but even if I get to 160 lb and am happy there- then so be it!! My goal in this journey is to lose weight to be healthier and happier because of that, and I’m well on my way.

Replies

• Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    LOVE this post!!! I would like to have a nice body but really would LOVE to feel STRONG and HEALTHY more than anything! GOOD FOR YOU! Getting your brain to change along with your body is AWESOME!!! SO PROUD of you! Keep it up! And I agree, no hands is dope!

~Glynis
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. Congrats!
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :):)
  • UpstateK8
    UpstateK8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Well Said! I've had a similar revelation, but it's sort of processed as- I am really proud of this body right now. I had always kept my mind's eye on the body I'd have when I finished. What's differnet now is the brain change. I'm excited to feel strong, and appreciate the body I'm changing. Rock on sister :)
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    That is awesome. Congrats!

I absolutely love your ticker!
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    Well Said! I've had a similar revelation, but it's sort of processed as- I am really proud of this body right now. I had always kept my mind's eye on the body I'd have when I finished. What's differnet now is the brain change. I'm excited to feel strong, and appreciate the body I'm changing. Rock on sister :)

Isn't it an exciting feeling?! Congrats!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    this is so awesome
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Awesome! :D
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is amazing, I am so glad for you.

I have been thiner than I am now before (by a long way) but last time it was all diet and this time it is diet and exercise. This time even though I am heavier I look better and feel tones better.

It just shows that the number on the scale really isn't everything.
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    This is amazing, I am so glad for you.

I have been thiner than I am now before (by a long way) but last time it was all diet and this time it is diet and exercise. This time even though I am heavier I look better and feel tones better.

It just shows that the number on the scale really isn't everything.

Congrats to you! The scale definitely isn't everything.
  • Ljoy1957
    Ljoy1957 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A post like yours is what makes me love this site. So good to hear how you think and feel about yourself changing in such a positive way. I'm starting to have those thoughts too. The greatest thing I will gain from this journey is getting back my self confidence. It's been lost for a long time and every so often, I hear myself being kindfully assertive and wonder where that came from! Keep up the good work!
  • ktlinn4
    ktlinn4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    OP- I feel EXACTLY the same way! It's crazy to think that after just 5 weeks my brain has changed it's thinking on how I view my body! Sure...there's still plenty of jiggle and cellulite....but noticing muscles slowly coming out is kicking any bad thoughts of that jiggle to the curb!!! My brain says, "Ooo...I'm excited to see what my (insert body part here) looks/feels like next week!

Keep up the awesome work! It'll only make us feel better!!! :happy:
    My thoughts weren’t about my belly or back fat, but how wonderful it was to feel my body working and not feeling winded. (And the fact that I could balance on the elliptical with no hands felt pretty damn great too! Lol.)

My goal in this journey is to lose weight to be healthier and happier because of that, and I’m well on my way.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    LOVE this post!!! I would like to have a nice body but really would LOVE to feel STRONG and HEALTHY more than anything! GOOD FOR YOU! Getting your brain to change along with your body is AWESOME!!! SO PROUD of you! Keep it up! And I agree, no hands is dope!

~Glynis

If your body is healthy & strong then you WILL have a nice body - you'll have the right body for you. Some women look good very slim & others look good with more curves. There is no one set type that's right, & nobody should be trying to force there body into being a type that it's not meant to be. Just be healthy & feel good, the rest will take care of itself.........
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic NSV! I've noticed that same thing, too. Lovely to have a stronger body, isn't it?

And I love your attitude about your goal weight!

Way to go!

:drinker:
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I decided to take a quick 20 minute spin on the elliptical today and as I was stretching before I got on, something weird happened. I ran my hand along the back of my leg from my ankle to my butt and rather than thinking about how I feel a layer of fat there that I wish would just disappear overnight, I thought about how great my muscles felt underneath that layer. They felt strong and I can’t wait for the world to be able to see how strong they are. As I was on the elliptical during a slower interval, I grabbed my water bottle to get a drink and put my other hand on my waist and with each breath I felt my ribs and abs move underneath. My thoughts weren’t about my belly or back fat, but how wonderful it was to feel my body working and not feeling winded. (And the fact that I could balance on the elliptical with no hands felt pretty damn great too! Lol.)

I currently weigh 217.8 lb and I’ll never be able to weigh just 120 like some women on here- and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with either of us! Even when I was younger in middle school and just a little bit chubby, I still weighed about 120 and that was before my growth kicked in. I’m not meant to be a “skinny” girl, but I can be a strong, healthy girl and I will get there. I’m down 45.2 lbs since January 12th and estimate that my goal will be around 145 lbs, but even if I get to 160 lb and am happy there- then so be it!! My goal in this journey is to lose weight to be healthier and happier because of that, and I’m well on my way.

This is the zone, you have graduated into love of fitness not just "i want to lose weight". Once you reach this level, you will not accept going back, you found the love and passion for your body and now you know that you control how it looks and shape it like a beautiful sculpture.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    NSV victories actually convince me more than the tape measure and the scale. Congrats on yours!!
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hooray for the weight loss, but even bigger kudos for the exceptional attitude! How I wish I could have had that attitude at your age instead of beating myself up all these years, trying to be something I'm not! I'm 52 now, and it's taken this long for me to accept that I will never be 120 pounds or a size 0, but that's okay - I'm starting to like what I see. I've taken up lifting, and I feel like you do - I'm amazed at what my body is able to do, I love getting stronger, and I'm thrilled with every muscle that makes an appearance! I'm looking forward now, not back, and hoping to make my next few decades (hopefully I'll have them!!) my best ever!! Keep up the great work! Wishing you many years of health, strength, and happiness!! Linda
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You go!!! Once you can master your thinking, you've got it!!
  • tannyb
    tannyb Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You have a GREAT attitude! I have no doubt you will get where you want to be! Congrats on the success so far and best wishes on your continued journey!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Love it!! Congrats!! I had a similar experience yesterday at a BodyPump class - I could start to see and feel some muscle definition and I was proud of how my body was working rather than being uneasy at how it looked.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!