Fruit Sugars

Options
So, folks I know that a good thing to do to help decrease belly fat is to watch your sugar. I have been trying to keep that under control, but as soon as I have some fruit...it is blown! Is there a difference between the way natural sugars like in fruit affect belly fat/fat in general as opposed to like sugar in candy.

Replies

• james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Everything i could find on this topic suggests that the sugar that you would find in fruits is processed differently then the artificial sugar you would find in candy. Although we know sugar is the main source of fat around the waist, if you are still eating at a deficit this should not be a concern. Remember its calories counted, not going over the sugar limit which is going to make all the difference.
    http://perfectbodyrx.com/2010/10/12/does-eating-fruit-add-belly-fat/
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't count fruit sugar in my "daily sugar goal". I am always WAY over on sugar but most of the time (minus the Reese Cups) it is because of fruit. I would rather eat the fruit (& fruit sugar) than not eat it - I'd think the benefits of the fruits (in moderation, of course) out way the cons.
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So, folks I know that a good thing to do to help decrease belly fat is to watch your sugar. I have been trying to keep that under control, but as soon as I have some fruit...it is blown! Is there a difference between the way natural sugars like in fruit affect belly fat/fat in general as opposed to like sugar in candy.

I noticed this too when I ran out of fruit last week and couldn't get to the shops. A noticeable shrinkage in belly size.

I have a feeling it's more to do with the water and fibre content of fruit than the sugar, other things like amount eaten being equal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar doesnt help fat loss only a calorie deficit does. Sugar is a carb which has calories. And as long as your calories in is less than out weight loss will happen. Whether its from belly fat or other parts of your body is determined by genetics. Only reason to watch sugar is if you have a medical condition.

Overall sugar doesnt matter... calories do. Many of us eat ice cream daily and still have fat loss.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between the way natural sugars like in fruit affect belly fat/fat in general as opposed to like sugar in candy.

I don't have a scientific answer for you, but I have an experiential one: When I eat a lot of fruit, I don't have the same sick feeling later as when I eat a lot of candy. I suspect it has something to do with all the extra fiber and vitamins (and all the artificial stuff in today's candy).