Fitbit vs. Nike Fuelband vs. BodyMedia

Options
This is battle of the bands! (lol, I had to)

So, I've got one friend who has a Nike Fuelband, and she absolutely loves it. I've got another friend who has a BodyMedia, and she loves hers. I've heard some good things about the Fitbit. This is the first I'm really even hearing of these kinds of things existing, but they all seem pretty neat. Tracking calories burnt through the day, all of that stuff. I thought about saving up for one of these and getting myself one once I meet my physical activity goal. The question, though, is which one?? So many options!

Here's what I've compiled to be the pros of each.

--Fitbit--
- Comes in a wrist form (points from me), and two other forms (one clip on, the other not sure)
- Lowest price is 59.99, which is lower than both the others
- Tracks steps, distance, and calories
- Calorie counting
- Tracks your sleep

--Nike Fuelband--
- Measures movement (in Nike fuel?)
- Tracks progress with set goal
- Displays goal on actual wristband
- Achievements system
- Social media involvement

--BodyMedia--
- Customizable skins (that's always fun, right?)
- Tracks calories burnt with everyday activities
- Tracks your sleeping

Those are all the pros I can think of at this time. Correct me if I'm wrong, or add any more if I'm missing any.

As for the cons, that's where you fine people of MFP come in!
What I'm asking you, my fellow users with goals, is to give me insight as to which of these has more pros than cons? Fill in any cons from personal experience, fill in any pros from personal experience, any testimonies from anything of the sort, etc.
What do you all think? Which band is the best? :)

Replies

• annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the body media fit and am IN LOVE. I have never tried Nike and the only experience I had with fitbit was a few days using the fitbit one and it kept falling off my bra (where it was recommended to be placed) so I took it back because I was afraid I would lose it. Unfortunately that is the only help I can offer but I do love the BMF, even if it is pricey.
  • diamondcricket
    diamondcricket Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What about the UP by Jawbone? (I've seen that one on MFP as well, I've been thinking about saving up for one)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia LINK. LOVE IT! So much data! I can zero my caloric intake so easily. Now that Jawbone bought them I can;t wait to see what they come up with next.
  • ptxfan
    ptxfan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lost my Fitbit just as I was getting the hang of it. Had issues in syncing with the app but was bearable. It was very usedul to me tracking steps/activities especially because I used it with myfitnesspal app. I admit it was a nuisance clipping it to my pocket or anywhere else. I didn't clip it on to my bra just on my pants or pocket or collar. When i'm at work I would clip it on to my pocket.
    So, I purchased a Nike Fuel today just because it is worn like a bracelet/wristwatch and even if it is more than double the price of Fitbit Zip at least I know i'm not gonna lose it that easy. If you need something simple just to track steps and be able to sync with app like myfitnesspal then you're okay with Fitbit Zip or One (their latest that tracks sleep). But be careful in clipping it securely.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have Fitbit One & love it! It tracks calories burned, steps, distance, energy exertion, flights of stairs climbed & quality of sleep. I have no problem with it clipped to my waistband. I toyed with getting the Flex band, but I like to see my numbers throughout the day. All the wrist bands will light up when you make your goal, but you can't look at the actual numbers. You can track via cell phone, but I don't always have my cell on me. I also like that the Fitbit One has a stop watch built in, so I can track all those parameters during exercise. The Fitbit Zip is cheaper, but doesn't have the altimeter to track flights of stairs, can't track sleep & doesn't give you an exertion readout.
  • spidermazam
    Options
    I'm also looking at these devices for the first time. I'm leaning towards the Body Media Link, but wanted to know how it tracks this data. Does anyone know if it has a heart rate monitor? I would think that it does, but since it doesn't have a chest strap, I wasn't sure. Also, I want to use it to track calories burned 24/7. Has anyone used it in this way? Is it okay to wear it in the shower?
  • annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There is no HRM, but it tracks in man other ways. you wear it pretty much all day but it is not water resistant so no shower. I have it and it is amazing. I"d recomend to anyone
  • jessannprice
    jessannprice Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just use a Polar HRM for my workouts..

I think I would like the BodyMedia if it were smaller. It looks so bulky. I'd rather something I can wear and it not be noticeable.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex, and I love it. I had a Fitbit Ultra before this (the prior version of the One). I like that it is on my wrist and I don't have to worry at all about losing it, etc. In fact, I hardly ever even think about it.

The wireless syncing is totally awesome, and my cell phone is never more than about a foot from me, so it is really convenient.

If I didn't love FitBit so much, I would get a BodyMedia armband. The Nike Fuelband seems to be less accurate than even the Flex, so I would rather go with something that leans toward the "more accurate" side of things.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Another one for Bodymedia!!! Love this thing! The only thing that has been consistent in weight loss...follow my calories in vs calories out and BAM...weight loss! It's comfortable. I hardly notice it is there.

Trying to think of cons...the only one I can think of is that it is very visible and people ask me about it a lot. But I get motivation just from talking about it and sharing it with others that are discouraged because dieting and exercise isn't working. You just need the right tools and then they will work.

No more eating clean for me and no more busting my tail to see a gain at the end of the week. I walk until I hit my deficit...I lift weights a couple nights a week and do not weigh the day after because I almost ALWAYS have a gain after strength training. I've lost 5.5 lbs in 3 weeks with mine! :) Hubby has lost more like 7 with his in the same amount of time.

I've read a lot of reviews on all three of these and bodymedia always wins as the most accurate. :)
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There is no HRM, but it tracks in man other ways. you wear it pretty much all day but it is not water resistant so no shower. I have it and it is amazing. I"d recomend to anyone

I was thinking it measures heart rate... How does it work then? Now i'm lost... How does it track?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

I was thinking it measures heart rate... How does it work then? Now i'm lost... How does it track?

Have you looked at the website. It gives lots of info on the sensors.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    OP: I'm not a proponent of Apple products because of the price, but the new iPod Shuffle has some cool features you might like
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    One thing to take into consideration is that you have to pay a monthly subscription to use the BodyMedia, otherwise it's pretty useless.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit flex and love it. I love that it is waterproof and I never have to take it off to shower or swim. The fitbit Dashboard is fantastic and gives you all kinds of information.

Also the Earndit Fitbit website allows you to earn rewards and badges and offers free and paid challenges that I enjoy doing.

Honestly, I cant speak pro or con on any other gadget since this is the only one I have except for my HRM.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options

I have a fitbit not a bodymedia but I researched the bodymedia and am curious about them. The sensors the bodymedia uses are temperature, movement, and I think perspiration. Heart rate isn't necessarily the best absolute in estimating calorie burn especially not for activities that are not aerobic so I think this is fine. Heart rate monitors use formulas to estimate oxygen consumption assuming you are doing aerobic exercise as the heart beats faster to supply the muscles with oxygen. I don't know how BM works out it's estimates but really body temperature is a pretty good clue to what is going on with one's metabolism. People with disorders that slow metabolism like those with under active thyroid often have a lower body temperature than they normally would have. The reason I didn't spring for the bodymedia is I know I would grow tired of wearing the arm band all the time, and it looked more expensive when factoring in the subscription fee, unit cost, cost of buying a display, etc.

I am pretty happy with my Fitbit One even though it only tracks movement. It is small, I clip it somewhere on my bra (wherever it doesn't show) and forget about it until I want to check my stats. It syncs through my phone so I can check the stats on the phone when out in public and it has a little display so I can look at the units display if in a private place. The torso placement actually seems quite good for me--it doesn't pick up false movements and my calorie burn for several types of aerobic exercise and fitbit's estimate actually match or are close. I do wear a heart rate monitor for intentional exercise and log the activities fitbit doesn't track as well. But this works well enough for me that I am not seriously looking at other devices. I've had a fitbit for over three years now--upgraded twice so am on my third fitbit. A friend is currently using my second fitbit so I have had good luck with durability and not losing them (which can be a problem with the clip types because they are very small).
  • Skinny_foodie
    Options
    k... Deep Dark Secret... I'm a data NERD. Totally completely and there is no hope, gone off the deep end.. kinda nerd. That said, I can offer you a few things:

I have a bodymedia and I LOVE it, The only thing I'd like more is if it also counted heart beats, but apparently there are 4 sensors on the thing that tracks, movement, temp and a host of other things that comes up with a pretty accurate calorie count. The others on your writs and clips to your clothes seem less accurate to me because they don't have skin contact and on your wrist it seems like you could do some arm movements and make it seem like you are doing more activity then you are.

The good:
    * Accuracy, I believe because of the on body contact its more reliable for both activity and sleep tracking.
    * I love Bodymedia's programs and it seamlessly synch's to MPF.
    *The program will run reports for you to see your weekly/monthly etc . progress on a larger scale - how much sleep, steps, calories, exercise, vigorous exercise and calorie deficits.

Things to be aware of:
    * you are instructed to wear it on your right upper arm. If you do that consistently the skin where the sensors touch can get sensitive. You have to move it up or down, or take it off (for longer then the shower) and give your skin a rest.
    * It can be unsightly wearing it on your upper arm if you are going sleeveless, say for a night of dancing where you still might want to track those calories... I stumbled upon some people that wear it in their bra strap and have found this a suitable alternative (although there is what seems to be a 10 -15% calorie counting inaccuracy wearing it like this).
    * Being on the arms and not counting heart beats, exercise you do on a stationary bike where your upper torso isn't working at all, probably yields less then accurate results. (I've also heard of people wearing it on the calf for these activities, and I assume the same calorie inaccuracy to be the case, but with 10 -15% off its an acceptable alternative to me)

Little thing:
    When you connect body media to MPF your calories count as exercise and your calorie eating totals automatically update, but it doesn't post anything. This deprives you of the "ada' girl's" you get when you log a workout manually, but I think the accuracy wins out for me.

The nerd like:
    On top of Bodymedia and MPF synching both programs synch with other data programs, so I also got the Withings scale that automatically uploads your weight. With the three working together I have never been more in control or able to track my progress and that's given me a sense of unparallelled motivation, if you can swing it, I recommend the combo.

Let us know what you decide!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    One thing to take into consideration is that you have to pay a monthly subscription to use the BodyMedia, otherwise it's pretty useless.

I have the fitbit one. I love it. I have never had a problem with it falling off; I wear it in my bra. Personally, I like that no one knows I am wearing it. The fitbit website is free, but it does have an option to pay for if setting goals is important to you. I think it is $50 for a year. It will use your current activity level to form a 12 week plan to increase your steps, sleep quality and nutrition. The data and charts are awesome!

My friend has the body media and her bicep is smaller and actually has an indent where she wears her armband. Granted she's worn it for over a year.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I chose the fitbit because the website is free and the fitbit is the cheapest. I read somewhere that someone wore BM and fitbit and something else( I forget) and the data ie. calories burned, miles ran, etc. were within about ten percent. Someone already mentioned that the body media requires a monthly subscription.
    At the end of the day, I bought the fitbit to lose weight. The fitbit made me look into counting calories which led me to mfp. Mfp helped me reach my goal. I use my fitbit less than one day a month now. When I use it it's just to encourage me to move, or do housework or something :)
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit ~ I bought my first one at Best Buy & purchased the extended warranty with it. Best $15 ever spent! I have had to replace my fitbit twice ~ once it just quit working after a work out & a friend suggested that it was waterlogged from all the sweat. The second time was just last month (after 2 years), it broke in half at the clip. I have not ever had to pay anything out of pocket to replace it either time. This last time, my ultra was replaced with a fitbit one & I have nothing but love for it! I love the new changes they have made to the design. The fact that it is water resistant is a huge plus for me!