Parental Motivational/Realistic help

Options
ratherbeskiing
ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Ok- so my mom is unmotivated and wants the easy way to lose weight without doing the work. Very seditary lifestyle. (She thinks otherwise and encourages me to "take a break" often because I want to run a few times a week.I do not consider Farmville a workout) She just found a bootcamp online for $100 bucks and wants my support and my dad to do it with her. Not my dad's idea. I think my dad would do it with her but only to support her not because he wants to do it. (He reciently asked me to go hiking with him, which I did- we went slow but he did it. I was so happy for him. She was invited and decided to go to a mexican cookout instead)

1- I asked her to walk with me yesterday she didn't (not the first time I have asked her)
2- she spent over a $1,200 on a road bike that she never uses- YES, I have asked her to go with me.
3- I got her Jillian for beginners for Christmas and she has not used it.
4- I have an elliptical in my room in front of a tv so she can watch her Kelly and whoever it is or her home improvement shows- never once even gotten on it.
5- she has a MFP account and never used it.

Now she wants me to be supportive of this bootcamp which I told her to look up free ones online and free apps on her phone and try them first. I hate to see her spend money on things that she will use for like a day and then give up on. Now she is mad.

How do I be supportive AND realistic at the same time????

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    That's really difficult. This is all I can say, when she's ready. She'll be ready. All you can really hope for is for her to see you and your Dad working towards your goals and having success. That may motivate her to get healthy.

On the bootcamp thing, I think your concerns are valid. However, what if this is the THING that will get her moving?

Good luck!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, if it was my mom, I would just ask her why she doesn't use the things she already has instead. I would tell her exactly what you said - why waste the money? And that she does need to learn to be realistic if she does want to lose weight.

I prefer the honest approach.
  • PBlilacs
    PBlilacs Posts: 23
    Options
    Honestly- Her time, her money, her life. Gotta let it go and worry about yourself. Perhaps its time to be quiet and lead by example.
This discussion has been closed.