Most Horrendous and Tasteless Running Shoe Ad... EVER!

Options

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    They have a link at the bottom of the ad for how to do dog CPR. I don't really have a problem with the ad.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief. I am certainly not overreacting or upset. I simply think it is very tasteless and showed a lack of common sense and knowledge of public opinion. I have a degree in marketing and I am surprised at the ignorance of the people who made this ad, because they should have foreseen that it would upset a lot of people. If some other people think its funny and will buy the shoes based on this ad, that's fine too. I will give the company kudos for adding a link to animal CPR, because exhaustion is a danger. Have a great day everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It is quite clever and it sure gets the attention, but it's far too morbid. Maybe not the best choice for an ad. :huh: I do appreciate the fine print: "Ranger is only playing dead..." That part was a little amusing. But seriously, long runs can kill some breeds that aren't designed for endurance work. I'd suggest consulting your vet before running with your dog. I know my pup can't handle it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    They pulled the ad and are working on publishing an article on how to safely train with your dog. https://www.facebook.com/PearlIzumiRunning
  • AmandaJCole13
    Options
    Really people?
    Its not like the animal shown is being abused...its a joke showing that if you get those shoes, you'll run so good your dog won't be able to keep up. Chill out and get a sense of humor.

What has society come to?
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Jesus... People will find just about any reason to *****. It's not like it says "Buy our shoes, or we will kill your dog."
    This. Apparently I read it differently, as a joke "if you run with your dog, be careful, cause if you get our shoes your performance will improve so much that your dog won't keep up with you". Then again, I always dig black humour.

No wonder you're a Sad Faerie...
    I should change to Awful Faerie, I guess. I always laugh my butt off when they kill the cat in Boondock Saints.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Oh stop it, it's meant to be funny, I love dogs as much as anyone else but we need to lighten up as a society. Smile from time to time it's meant to be funny and clever and promote a running shoe. Plus I'm pretty sure it's not a real dog

I mean seriously. The ad isn't saying run your dog to death. The ad is saying that you can run longer with these shoes.. Longer than an animal.

There are worse things going on then to be getting so upset about an ad.

Humans can run longer than any other mammal. Before projectiles were invented (bows and arrows) people ran their prey to death. The reason why we don't die (albeit with proper preparation) doing things like the Ironman or Ultramarathons is because our ancestors had to be able to out run our prey or starve.
  • Jerky43
    Jerky43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think somebody needs to know what is REAL and what is PRETEND. It is a photo. It is not real.

Or get busy. You have many more to complain about.

Here is on where a person dies from being in a hot car. That is so wrong

http://youtu.be/kr4gq5Ylodg
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see an ad this clearly misguided, I wonder how multiple people looked at it and went "MY GOD, THIS IS GENIUS." Though clearly it's doing what it was intended to do.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I have five dogs that I love and I think I will now buy a pair of those shoes, the ad is just great.

Isn't it a shame the ad didn't show a politically correct person being given the kiss of sense of humour.............. but then no one would believe that!
  • leena31
    leena31 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Jesus... People will find just about any reason to *****. It's not like it says "Buy our shoes, or we will kill your dog."
    This. Apparently I read it differently, as a joke "if you run with your dog, be careful, cause if you get our shoes your performance will improve so much that your dog won't keep up with you". Then again, I always dig black humour.

I thought the same thing, too.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Humans can run longer than any other mammal. Before projectiles were invented (bows and arrows) people ran their prey to death. The reason why we don't die (albeit with proper preparation) doing things like the Ironman or Ultramarathons is because our ancestors had to be able to out run our prey or starve.

Bingo
  • missability
    Options
    Oh for the love of Pete~!!! I see little innocent children being told to "shut the F---K up" in public, on a daily basis, In my line of work I have witnessed 12 year olds pregnant by their Father, kept in the basement, a dog pen in the backyard, starved, beaten, burned with cigarettes,..Christ, some people are so stupid they do this stuff to these poor kids then paste it all over FaceBook, and Twitter!!! STOP THE INSANITY!!! This AD is showing concern, care, and compassion for the dog. We should do so much for out children!

I have a Shih-tzu, he is cleaner than most kids, sleeps with me, eats healthier than a large percentage of the population! Am I a dog lover? Hell yes!!!!

The only downside to this AD is it should have portrayed the man running to help another person....Oh I don't know, like maybe a child in distress.....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

...Humans can run longer than any other mammal. Before projectiles were invented (bows and arrows) people ran their prey to death. The reason why we don't die (albeit with proper preparation) doing things like the Ironman or Ultramarathons is because our ancestors had to be able to out run our prey or starve.

QFT. We aren't as fast as many other mammals, but we aren't built for speed, but rather for endurance. We're built to outlast the sprinters and catch up to them after they've worn themselves out. :drinker:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

...Humans can run longer than any other mammal. Before projectiles were invented (bows and arrows) people ran their prey to death. The reason why we don't die (albeit with proper preparation) doing things like the Ironman or Ultramarathons is because our ancestors had to be able to out run our prey or starve.

QFT. We aren't as fast as many other mammals, but we aren't built for speed, but rather for endurance. We're built to outlast the sprinters and catch up to them after they've worn themselves out. :drinker:

I was saying that to Usain Bolt only a couple of years ago, but I still haven't caught up....................... :laugh:
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hilarious!! And having a dog shouldn't mean you have no sense of humor. Lighten up everyone.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    maybe it's just because i don't run.....and i don't have a dog - - but i just think it's a weird ad - - like i don't "get it", i guess.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs. I don't take them with me when I'm running, cause they would probably drop dead trying to keep my pace.

And how on earth is that ad "promoting animal cruelty"? Did you even read the small print, where they provide a link to dog CPR? I think altogether that ad is pretty awesome, if you run with the dog -- learn dog CPR, in case your dog got hurt. Or cry online how sensitive you are. Your call.
    Like you I don't run with my dogs. And let me reiterate: if you saw a fellow runner giving his dog CPR because he ran it into a heart attack, would you be thinking about abuse or buying his brand of running shoe.

Like a dog lover and a decent human being, I would run and help the man anyway possible. Not judge the guy helping his dog by giving him CPR...
    As would I, but you didn't answer part 2 of my question. Are you thinking of buying his brand of running shoes upon seeing this scenario? The intent of the ad was to sell their shoes, right? Fail, not matter how you look at it. They pulled it and apologized, so they know it was tasteless.

Hell yeah I am going to buy their shoes. This PC bull shyt has gone so far to the left it is sad. As far as pulling the advertisement, they pulled it because of people like you and others that brain f uck everything.
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    I'm not really unhumorous or being 'politically correct' as I find alot of things people find offensive quite funny. But this actually upsets me...
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    I find it very odd. I'm a huge animal lover and I guess I just think it's tacky.