2 tablespoon Smart Balance Butter-Blend w/EVOO, cut into pieces
1/2 cup FAT FREE sour cream
3 eggs whites or 1/2 cup Egg White Substitute, beaten
1 cup FAT FREE cottage cheese
10 oz. 2% Velveeta block cubed
2 cup uncooked Whole Wheat elbow macaroni
1/2 teaspoon pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and Velveeta. Stir until the cheese melts. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter-blend mixture and add the sour cream, cottage cheese, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Add egg whites.

Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

RESULTS:
Know your slow cooker. I am not one to use a slow cooker very often, so when the recipe said LOW, what I later discovered was that mine was actually too warm for three hours of sitting. Next time, I will use the WARM setting if I am going to let it sit the full three hours. My macaroni and cheese was actually perfect at about two hours on our slowcooker LOW setting. Since not all cookers are created equal, it's best to watch it over the first hour, stirring occasionally. We wouldn't want to burn this masterpiece.

Instead of using the 2% version of cheddar cheese, I used 2% Velveeta. Not only does it taste great and melt beautifully, but it actually has 1/2 the fat per ounce than cheddar. In comparing the two, 2% cheddar has 6g of fat per ounce and 2% Velveeta has 3g. The Velveeta allowed me to shave roughly 30 grams of fat off the entire recipe. That is a Lean Deen Victory!

I tried a new ingredient in this recipe; Smart Balance Butter Blend with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. As far as function and taste, it works as a great butter substitute. On top of that, it is packed with essential nutrients such as Omega-3 and vitamin E. Butter with benefits? Sounds good to me! If you haven't already, I would definitely suggest trying it out.

ENJOY the Mac n' Cheese!
http://www.cookinlean.com/2010/01/paula-deens-lean-creamy-macaroni-and.html (photos)

Replies