I cant lose weight!

So a little about me, Im an 18 year old male 5'8" and I weigh about 172 my food logs are open and they are pretty accurate. I drink way over the recommended water amount, I go to the gym almost day and do strength training (I dont log it) and I do the treadmil which I do log total time at the gym is about 1 hour and 30 minutes. No matter what I do I can not seem to lose weight. Does any one see anything wrong with what im doing? As of today Im going to start a high protein diet (whey protein) and see if that will help me lose weight. Any advice will be appreciated!

Replies

• ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    That's a lot of cardio. I have heard of people not losing weight because they are doing too much cardio.

I'm no expert. But my advice would be to try 1 hour of cardio and your strength training. Try that for a few weeks and see what happens. If you still don't lose, try 30-45 mins of cardio and your strength training.

Just what I've heard from some people! Can't speak from experience. Good luck :)
  • Dang I never knew about too much cardio lol I dont think I am doing too much? Im doing about 5 sets 4-6 reps with weights, upper body one day then lower body the next and then im on the treadmill for maybe 50 minutes on incline 4 and speed 3.3mph. Maybe I would have to change that up?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    How many cals do you net? Do you weigh and measure everything you eat/drink?
  • What? There's no such thing as "too much cardio", that's completely ridiculous. Keep exercising as you'd like.

As far as not being able to lose weight, don't worry, barring serious genetic issues (and even those only account for 5 - 10lb of extra weight), calories-in-calories-out applies to EVERYONE. Figure out your TDEE, and make sure you log 100% of everything that goes in your mouth, even if you think it's insignificant or trivial, and make sure your calorie count is completely accurate or a safe/over-estimate. Then follow that 3600 calories is a pound, and it should be easy to figure out a weight loss scheme. As long as you stick with it, it should be more or less correct. It's not enough to just feel like you eat pretty well today and leave it at that, for me what really worked was knowing exactly what was happening in my body, 100% of the time.

98% of the (healthy) population has metabolisms within a few hundred calroies of each other, rest assured that you are more than likely not an abnormal case!
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    You could be losing inches, and gaining muscle.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    any Paleolithic humans who engaged in nutritionally motivated hunting would have done so in order to increase their food energy intake in order to maintain or gain weight, not in order to achieve weight loss… In view of this, the "Paleo diet" theory that overfed sedentary modern humans who need to lose excess adipose should regularly eat the fatty flesh and eggs found in supermarkets because active, underfed, extremely lean prehistoric people who struggled to meet their basic kcaloric needs ate lean game flesh or eggs whenever possible lacks basic credibility.

Considering the evidence it is not surprising that many of the prominent proponents of Low-Carb and Paleo diets who have not partaken in caloric restriction have gained considerable amounts of weight while adhering to such diets.

Do not eat more protein. The elephant is a large animal with large bones and fine tusks of ivory. It does not get fat but will not fit into the supermarket doorway. It eats grass leaves and thorns. You asked for advice - mine is consume starches like potatoes and rice and lots of green vegetables, oats and fruits.

Log into J McDougall MD and follow his newsletter for a healthy heart. Keep your calories down to 1200 per day. Eat real foods and avoid processed foods. Do not consume any diet drinks nor anything with artificial sweeteners like asparteme because they can increase your weight due to interfering with your senses. Ask me any questions you like.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Great advice - you may follow this I would
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Looking at your diary I have to say this, it's not just about how many calories you eat, it's about when you eat those calories and what is IN those calories. You could eat 1200 calories worth of peanut butter or 1200 calories worth of protein and vegetables.. I know which one of those will help you lose weight. Also, you seem to be eating breakfast everyday but only having lunch or dinner rather than both. If your target is 1500 calories, allocate yourself 400 for breakfast, 400 lunch, 400 dinner and then 300 snacks. On Friday you had no dinner but 889 calories in snacks? Is this right? And on Saturday you skipped lunch and had a 845 calorie dinner? Are you just not logging things in order or is this how you eat? You need to stabilise your metabolism, eat regularly, don't skip meals and make sure the calories you do eat are GOOD calories. Too many people stick to the 1200-1500 calories a day but the calories they eat are full of sugar or saturated fats. Friday you had 96g of sugar this is about 23 teaspoons of sugar. Try and reduce your sugar intake to 30g a day (this is roughly the recommended intake for adults males) play with this amount for a little while and assess how you feel.

I have lost 18kgs and still have 11kgs to go. One thing I have learnt along the way is that you cannot trick yourself into thinking you're eating well because you're within your calorie goal, it's about what food you eat. 100 calories of vegetables is better then 100 calories of sugar.
  • It looks like your BMR is about 1916 cals and your tdee is about 2608 cals so you should be consuming a total of that is in between the two numbers so maybe about 2300 cals per day. Also, you should talk to your doctor and make sure that you don't have any underlying issues (like low thyroid or something like that). Also be sure to weigh/measure everything you are taking in. Eyeballing it isn't a good idea. Hope this helps. Also, what weight are you trying to get to? I don't imagine you would want to lose all that much at 5'8" and 172...maybe 15 lbs? The closer you are to your goal weight the harder it is to lose weight.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    any Paleolithic humans who engaged in nutritionally motivated hunting would have done so in order to increase their food energy intake in order to maintain or gain weight, not in order to achieve weight loss… In view of this, the "Paleo diet" theory that overfed sedentary modern humans who need to lose excess adipose should regularly eat the fatty flesh and eggs found in supermarkets because active, underfed, extremely lean prehistoric people who struggled to meet their basic kcaloric needs ate lean game flesh or eggs whenever possible lacks basic credibility.

Considering the evidence it is not surprising that many of the prominent proponents of Low-Carb and Paleo diets who have not partaken in caloric restriction have gained considerable amounts of weight while adhering to such diets.

Do not eat more protein. The elephant is a large animal with large bones and fine tusks of ivory. It does not get fat but will not fit into the supermarket doorway. It eats grass leaves and thorns. You asked for advice - mine is consume starches like potatoes and rice and lots of green vegetables, oats and fruits.

Log into J McDougall MD and follow his newsletter for a healthy heart. Keep your calories down to 1200 per day. Eat real foods and avoid processed foods. Do not consume any diet drinks nor anything with artificial sweeteners like asparteme because they can increase your weight due to interfering with your senses. Ask me any questions you like.
    Do not listen to this!

You're a 5'8" 18 year old male. You need a lot more than 1200 calories.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    How long have you been doing this without seeing a change? When you begin training you will get noobie gains and hold a lot of water to repair muscles which can temporarily increase weight. Weight also comes off in chunks so there might be weeks when you lose nothing and weeks when 4lb falls off. I tend to see a drop in weight when I stop working out for a few days so if you're getting disheartened that might be worth a try. As for the cardio, I think its plenty but steady state cardio is less effective than HIIT so it would be better if you could walk and then run for 30 seconds every couple of minutes.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member

Do not listen to this!

THIS! I completely agree. Please eat closer to 2000 a day, just make sure it's 2000 good calories! I as a female eat 1500 - 1700 (more depending on how much exercise I do and I'm still losing weight, I began on 1200 to kick start and quickly upped that amount)
  • any Paleolithic humans who engaged in nutritionally motivated hunting would have done so in order to increase their food energy intake in order to maintain or gain weight, not in order to achieve weight loss… In view of this, the "Paleo diet" theory that overfed sedentary modern humans who need to lose excess adipose should regularly eat the fatty flesh and eggs found in supermarkets because active, underfed, extremely lean prehistoric people who struggled to meet their basic kcaloric needs ate lean game flesh or eggs whenever possible lacks basic credibility.

Do not listen to this!

THIS! I completely agree. Please eat closer to 2000 a day, just make sure it's 2000 good calories! I as a female eat 1500 - 1700 (more depending on how much exercise I do and I'm still losing weight, I began on 1200 to kick start and quickly upped that amount)
    There's no such thing as a "good" calorie. A calorie is a calorie, a constant unit of energy that has nothing to do with where it comes from. Some foods with fiber and protein are "good" in that they keep you full and prevent you from injecting more calories, but the calories themselves are not different. You can lose weight on 1200 calories of potato chips a day, it would just mean you wouldn't be eating as much as, say, 1200 calories of celery.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Looking at your diary I have to say this, it's not just about how many calories you eat, it's about when you eat those calories and what is IN those calories. You could eat 1200 calories worth of peanut butter or 1200 calories worth of protein and vegetables.. I know which one of those will help you lose weight. Also, you seem to be eating breakfast everyday but only having lunch or dinner rather than both. If your target is 1500 calories, allocate yourself 400 for breakfast, 400 lunch, 400 dinner and then 300 snacks. On Friday you had no dinner but 889 calories in snacks? Is this right? And on Saturday you skipped lunch and had a 845 calorie dinner? Are you just not logging things in order or is this how you eat? You need to stabilise your metabolism, eat regularly, don't skip meals and make sure the calories you do eat are GOOD calories. Too many people stick to the 1200-1500 calories a day but the calories they eat are full of sugar or saturated fats. Friday you had 96g of sugar this is about 23 teaspoons of sugar. Try and reduce your sugar intake to 30g a day (this is roughly the recommended intake for adults males) play with this amount for a little while and assess how you feel.

I have lost 18kgs and still have 11kgs to go. One thing I have learnt along the way is that you cannot trick yourself into thinking you're eating well because you're within your calorie goal, it's about what food you eat. 100 calories of vegetables is better then 100 calories of sugar.

So wrong it hurts, this whole the only way to loose is to eat clean is pure BS. Lets take your example 1200 cals of PB vs 1200 cals of protein and veg . Yes one gives you a more balanced diet, but they are still 1200 calories worth of energy for your system. Your body doesnt give a flying monkeys where it get its 1200 cals from as long as its getting its 1200 cals. You will find many people on here that eat dirty and love it, I for one am happily loosing with and guess what, I eat dirty, my diary is not all protein and veg, crossian every day, beer when im not working and its not stopped me one bit.

Next to your point about meal timings, again more BS. Meal timings have no affect what so ever on your body, many people on here are doing IF where you have prolonged periods of not eat, and then consuming all their cals in a short window, suprise suprise they are loosing, even though going against your meal timing theory. Myself will often skip breakfast and have all my cals for lunch dinner and snakcs.

So please when you are giving adivce don't say this is how you should be doing it, say this is how im doing it and its helping me, but there are others ways.
  • any Paleolithic humans who engaged in nutritionally motivated hunting would have done so in order to increase their food energy intake in order to maintain or gain weight, not in order to achieve weight loss… In view of this, the "Paleo diet" theory that overfed sedentary modern humans who need to lose excess adipose should regularly eat the fatty flesh and eggs found in supermarkets because active, underfed, extremely lean prehistoric people who struggled to meet their basic kcaloric needs ate lean game flesh or eggs whenever possible lacks basic credibility.

Do not listen to this!

This is especially important if you are doing so much exercise. I was following a 1200 calorie high protein low carb diet, and ended up quite sick whenever I exercised. Eat well and often, and try HIIT (interval) cardio training for shorter periods rather than steady cardio for longer. There is some truth to the argument that there is such a thing as too much cardio. Recent research has shown that any more than 60 minutes of cardio a day and our bodies try to overcompensate by craving excess sugars right after up to about 90 minutes after the workout just to replenish the energy burned. A 30-60 minute HIIT cardio routine followed by a balanced meal with carbs and protein for recovery will do you so much better than over 60 minutes of cardio.
  • Looking at your diary I have to say this, it's not just about how many calories you eat, it's about when you eat those calories and what is IN those calories. You could eat 1200 calories worth of peanut butter or 1200 calories worth of protein and vegetables.. I know which one of those will help you lose weight. Also, you seem to be eating breakfast everyday but only having lunch or dinner rather than both. If your target is 1500 calories, allocate yourself 400 for breakfast, 400 lunch, 400 dinner and then 300 snacks. On Friday you had no dinner but 889 calories in snacks? Is this right? And on Saturday you skipped lunch and had a 845 calorie dinner? Are you just not logging things in order or is this how you eat? You need to stabilise your metabolism, eat regularly, don't skip meals and make sure the calories you do eat are GOOD calories. Too many people stick to the 1200-1500 calories a day but the calories they eat are full of sugar or saturated fats. Friday you had 96g of sugar this is about 23 teaspoons of sugar. Try and reduce your sugar intake to 30g a day (this is roughly the recommended intake for adults males) play with this amount for a little while and assess how you feel.

Whops! I dont log things in order but I do log everything I eat. I didnt realize the sugar thanks for telling me, Ill stop drinking the carton of chocolate milk from school from now on, I believe that is the only bad sugar im getting though? 1 cup of 2% milk has 13g sugar but im sure its good sugar?
  • Looking at your diary I have to say this, it's not just about how many calories you eat, it's about when you eat those calories and what is IN those calories. You could eat 1200 calories worth of peanut butter or 1200 calories worth of protein and vegetables.. I know which one of those will help you lose weight. Also, you seem to be eating breakfast everyday but only having lunch or dinner rather than both. If your target is 1500 calories, allocate yourself 400 for breakfast, 400 lunch, 400 dinner and then 300 snacks. On Friday you had no dinner but 889 calories in snacks? Is this right? And on Saturday you skipped lunch and had a 845 calorie dinner? Are you just not logging things in order or is this how you eat? You need to stabilise your metabolism, eat regularly, don't skip meals and make sure the calories you do eat are GOOD calories. Too many people stick to the 1200-1500 calories a day but the calories they eat are full of sugar or saturated fats. Friday you had 96g of sugar this is about 23 teaspoons of sugar. Try and reduce your sugar intake to 30g a day (this is roughly the recommended intake for adults males) play with this amount for a little while and assess how you feel.

Whops! I dont log things in order but I do log everything I eat. I didnt realize the sugar thanks for telling me, Ill stop drinking the carton of chocolate milk from school from now on, I believe that is the only bad sugar im getting though? 1 cup of 2% milk has 13g sugar but im sure its good sugar?
    Are you reading the other posts? The information here is WRONG, read cingle87's post. A calorie is a calorie, regardless of time, source, if the food was high-fat, etc. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Just be completely on the ball about calorie counting and it wouldn't matter if you ate your deficit in pizzas and lard, you'll still lose weight.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    @ op, maybe you're losing inches? are your clothes baggy? are you more toned and defined? how about changing your routine? try some yoga. or go to a class at your gym. get a work out dvd from the store.
    also, watch your sugar intake and sodium. I cut out a lot of salt and about 5 of my 11 lbs was water weight. If you're still in school, ask a gym teacher. If not, go to your old school and ask a gym teacher.

ETA: My trainer made up a work out plan with me. cardio, lower body, upper body. try a day each of one thing. I was doing 65 minutes on the elliptical each night for months. sure, i'd burn a lot of calories but I wasn't seeing results. I still do cardio, but I mix it in with the stairmaster. cardio and lower body work out.

@ genkiemi , there is such a thing as too much cardio and not all calories are created equal. a 4 oz piece of chicken breast may have the same amount of calories as a pop tart, but one has calories that give the body the needed energy. the other is known as an empty calorie. no nutritional value at all. When I was your age, and younger, I was taught this in high school. now that I'm older, speaking with doctors, dietitians, nutritionist, and personal trainers, I'm going to agree with the ones that are certified and have spent their lives researching weight loss.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member

this is false. A study was done where the researcher himself ate 1200 cals a day in TWINKIES. no execise. And he steadily lost weight.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    @ op, maybe you're losing inches? are your clothes baggy? are you more toned and defined? how about changing your routine? try some yoga. or go to a class at your gym. get a work out dvd from the store.
    also, watch your sugar intake and sodium. I cut out a lot of salt and about 5 of my 11 lbs was water weight. If you're still in school, ask a gym teacher. If not, go to your old school and ask a gym teacher.

@ genkiemi , there is such a thing as too much cardio and not all calories are created equal. a 4 oz piece of chicken breast may have the same amount of calories as a pop tart, but one has calories that give the body the needed energy. the other is known as an empty calorie. no nutritional value at all. When I was your age, and younger, I was taught this in high school. now that I'm older, speaking with doctors, dietitians, nutritionist, and personal trainers, I'm going to agree with the ones that are certified and have spent their lives researching weight loss.

false