it works body wrap

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Someone please, please, please tell me what TOXINS everyone is talking about? Let's give them names, REAL NAMES, not some generic boogie man term. Can you? If you can't... you've been conned.

The moment you hear the word toxins in any supposed health benefit product, red flags should immediately shoot up. It's a shim sham word that con artists have latched onto because so many consumers are too ignorant to realize they're being taken for a ride and giving their money away at the same time.

bb79c044-5342-42d6-8be6-da40701d6e3b_zps9767630b.jpg

You're just the snake oil buyers of today... and that should be REALLY embarrassing.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Toxins: sunscreen, air pollution, artificial sweeteners, byproducts of alcohol consumption, smoking, pesticides on foods, preservatives used in many foods, etc. Those are just a few examples of things we inhale, ingest or absorb into our bodies.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Toxins: sunscreen, air pollution, artificial sweeteners, byproducts of alcohol consumption, smoking, pesticides on foods, preservatives used in many foods, etc. Those are just a few examples of things we inhale, ingest or absorb into our bodies.

Not what I meant. Name the "toxins" that this product pulls out of your body.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a wrap that will draw toxins out of your body. Or a salve. Or a drink. Or a shoe liner. Detoxification is a con game.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    We all know that you need to eat 3500 calories less than you burn in order to lose 1lb of fat... so how does a wrap help that?

And no there are not toxins in our bodies.. that is just a bunch of marketing crap.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    To help a friend who was selling them, I told her I'd sign up for the 3- month autoship option, so I now have what's left of 3 packages of these things to get through. I eat cleanly (Whole30-level of clean) and lift heavy and drink a ton of water every day. If these things actually worked, I should have seen a difference, but I haven't. I will admit that they are soothing (they get kind of hot and then cold, just as if you've slathered yourself with a menthol rub), and will finish up what I have, just for the soothing reason alone. It's my suspicion that the people who claim to have seen results have made other changes that led to a loss - for example, swapping out their usual sodas for all the water they've been instructed to drink.

You mentioned your friend needs to lose 130 pounds. This is absolutely not the right direction for her to go. I'd say, at best, even allowing that maybe the wraps do work for some people, they're better marketed toward people who are close to the weight they're comfortable with, but just want to alleviate a bit of extra pudge that's really nothing but bloating.

Bottom line: The wraps don't seem to be dangerous, but they also shouldn't be counted on to provide any true results. If you think of them as a relaxing treatment to do at home and don't mind the steep cost, then they're fun to try.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options

here's what it is:

it detoxifies your body

Scientifically, that makes absolutely no sense. Your liver can take toxins out of your body. Wrapping your body in fabric can not.

Actually, scientifically, it does make sense. When you have an abundance of toxins, your liver may be overworked. Your body protects itself by storing those excess toxins in fat cells, most commonly in the abdominal area. And, when dieting and exercising, the fat layer under your skin is preferentially burned, not the fat in your skin itself. That is why some people's skin does not tighten up when they lose weight.

No, I don't have a link to back it up. But I did take several years of biology and animal physiology courses at university where the basics of metabolism were covered.
    And of course in biology and animal physiology they are saying that wraps remove toxins.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

No, ha ha! It doesn't mention wraps. But it does discuss the body storing excess toxins in fat cells and how those toxins are released again with burning/releasing that stored fat.

Natural medicine and treatments have been slammed for years by the medical industry because it doesn't make them money from drugs. There are many fitness consultants, naturopaths and trainers that work with this product and believe in it.

I can't change anyone's mind. Slam the product all you want, I know the results I have seem and many others have seen with natural products. Until you try it yourself, you are just following a preconceived idea of spa wraps and sweating out water, which is not what this product does.
    Being from Asia, I can promise you there is a lot of "Eastern medicine" that's been totally misrepresented by how American marketing portrays it.
    There are no peer reviewed clinical studies on it because there's no actual support from biology or human physiology that wrapping the body removes toxins, lypolysis, etc.
    Like psychics and seers, people will be duped into believing information that has no real evidence to back it, but because the "hope" of it is there, they get sold on the idea.

IDEA Fitness member
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    They're rubbish I got one..it doesn't even wrap around your whole body just a wet paper thing that goes over tummy area you have to put cling film round to keep it in place. I even had one of those gym belts that make you sweat more around middle on top of it too and it didn't even stay on all day..after few hours I had to remove it. complete waste of money
  • tmunden78
    Options
    Hmm... Do they work? I say yes if you know how to work them (you don't just slap it on and expect a miracle and unfortunately there are people that sell them and let their clients do just that). My first wrap was a total disappointment. I refused however, to let my money go to waste so I did my research to complete my full treatment of 4 wraps - and have had nothing but success since then. They are not for long term weight loss but to jump start it or enhance it). If you wrap and continue to eat crap and sit on be couch then of course whatever you toxins comes right back on. Everything doesn't work for everyone but I like them and they worked for me :-) I wrap once per week eat clean and workout 3xs per week. To me it's no different than taking a thermogenic, eating at a buffet and then complaining that the pill didn't work. Nothing works unless you work it.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options

Actually, scientifically, it does make sense. When you have an abundance of toxins, your liver may be overworked. Your body protects itself by storing those excess toxins in fat cells, most commonly in the abdominal area. And, when dieting and exercising, the fat layer under your skin is preferentially burned, not the fat in your skin itself. That is why some people's skin does not tighten up when they lose weight.

No, I don't have a link to back it up. But I did take several years of biology and animal physiology courses at university where the basics of metabolism were covered.

Tell me more about the fat "in the skin itself." And loose skin after weight loss is b/c a person has lost their under-skin fat but not the fat *inside* their skin?

Learn sumpin new every day!
  • seamonkey789
    Options

I smoke. I use artificial sweetners. I eat things with preservatives. I have to get blood work every 6 months due to a medication I'm on. My doctor runs a full metabolic panel every single time. You know the one and only time my liver values did not come back pristine? When I had gall stones
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    These are not water loss wraps. They draw out the toxins in your body, and inch loss is just one of the side effects.

Which toxins please. People always say this, but never mention the toxins by name.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options

here's what it is:

it detoxifies your body

Scientifically, that makes absolutely no sense. Your liver can take toxins out of your body. Wrapping your body in fabric can not.

And of course in biology and animal physiology they are saying that wraps remove toxins.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

No, ha ha! It doesn't mention wraps. But it does discuss the body storing excess toxins in fat cells and how those toxins are released again with burning/releasing that stored fat.

Natural medicine and treatments have been slammed for years by the medical industry because it doesn't make them money from drugs. There are many fitness consultants, naturopaths and trainers that work with this product and believe in it.

I can't change anyone's mind. Slam the product all you want, I know the results I have seem and many others have seen with natural products. Until you try it yourself, you are just following a preconceived idea of spa wraps and sweating out water, which is not what this product does.
    Not preconceived, but actually evidence that wraps don't do anything but temporarily compress tissue, and that the toxins are nothing more than a sales pitch.
    For some reason, everyone that claims toxins are removed doesn't say what toxins they are.
    I trust science and medicine and not hype. Remember "toning shoes"? They were the rave until it was actually studied and found out for many that it could change their gaits and increase knee pain. Of course people who didn't believe it kept touting how great they were. Yeah, I'll stick with actual science. It's worked for 25+ years now.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are arguing saying this stuff works. If a wrap was a valid way to lose weight, it would be on every shelf and sold out all of the time.

That's simply not the case. The only thing that works is taking in less calories, until people accept that, they are doomed to fail.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are arguing saying this stuff works. If a wrap was a valid way to lose weight, it would be on every shelf and sold out all of the time.

That's simply not the case. The only thing that works is taking in less calories, until people accept that, they are doomed to fail.

If it worked it would have been bought by someone....same with all the other miracles.

People are dumb...that's how they make their money.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused about the toxins. Which exact toxins (names and chemical structures) and how are they being removed? Drawn out through the skin? Because that is patently absurd. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    What a LOAD of bullbeep. Some people are so dumb.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    "Toxins."

Right. I heard that these wraps help get rid of dihydrogen monoxide. Yup, that's what I heard. That evil, bad dihydrogen monoxide toxin.

'Cause you should never blindly believe something that says it gets rid of "toxins", unless someone with a few courses in biology and animal physiology says it's true.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the urge to wrap myself right now. :tongue:
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hmm... Do they work? I say yes if you know how to work them (you don't just slap it on and expect a miracle and unfortunately there are people that sell them and let their clients do just that). My first wrap was a total disappointment. I refused however, to let my money go to waste so I did my research to complete my full treatment of 4 wraps - and have had nothing but success since then. They are not for long term weight loss but to jump start it or enhance it). If you wrap and continue to eat crap and sit on be couch then of course whatever you toxins comes right back on. Everything doesn't work for everyone but I like them and they worked for me :-) I wrap once per week eat clean and workout 3xs per week. To me it's no different than taking a thermogenic, eating at a buffet and then complaining that the pill didn't work. Nothing works unless you work it.

So what you're saying is you have to eat a healthy diet and exercise while using the wrap for it to work, right? That's where I get confused...:huh: If you start eating healthy and exercising what exactly is the wrap doing to help you lose fat?