If you had only one piece of advice...

Options

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Building long-term habits by making one small change at a time.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Assuming you know the basic qualities of nutrients and the number of calories in the foods you eat all you need do to lose weight is keep track (or have a good idea) of what you eat, weigh yourself a few times a week and make adjustments as needed.

Exercise, while not essential for weight loss is good for your health and can raise your spirits while losing or maintaining your weight.
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    think they are probably all personal to the loser!

mine is "my knees don't get days off" which means that losing weight helps them to function better, a LOT better - willpower is still hard (and in very short supply right now too!) but just knowing that being lighter makes a BIG difference and I have proved it keeps me at it
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
    Strength Training
    Measurements (not just scale)
    Listen to your body

That sums up my time of doing this.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself. You can tell yourself and others whatever you want to tell them, and log whatever you do or do not want to log here, but no matter what, your body is keeping track.

That, and make sure you've seen a doctor to make sure everything is in order to give you the best chance, if you're doing what you need to do. Some things can make it harder than just #'s in vs #'s out, but if there is something off you can adjust your approach and/or perhaps medications. In my specific case, I'm thinking insulin resistance (which admittedly WAS probably kicked off bc I got too fat for my body to be able to handle insulin properly).....increasing my protein and (TRYING) to limit carbs to more natural carbs, along with medication to help my body properly use the fuel has helped me to be more consistent, physically.
  • cstoney2013
    cstoney2013 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you have a bad day, make sure you have an epic next day!

You will hate it, it won't be plesant, but later you will love it

the exercises that you aviod are the ones that will get you in the best shape usually.

Wait a half hour afer eating before you get seconds...you probably won't feel like seconds.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Drink more water!
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    Great thread! For me personally it was "I really, truly made my health my top priority." I had said I wanted to do things like eat healthy and exercise in the past, but I never carried through. This time I really did make it my top priority, and ensured that the majority of my actions reflected that.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    For me, I'd say, Take one day at a time working towards your goal. Everyone is different bodies work in different speeds, and burns differently. Don't compare what your neighbor, friend or spouse has done to what you will be able to do. Just do it.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Be honest in your logging, make it a lifestyle change, and for me, weigh daily. I know many will disagree with the weighing daily. My dh and I even travel with a travel scale. We are retired, just got back from 30 days in traveling, and stayed within our maintenance weight. Good luck to you. YOU CAN DO IT. YOU ARE WORTH IT.

Marie
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Do what feels "RIGHT FOR YOU", produces the results you hope to see while remaining healthy level of energy. Too many people here give advice without knowing all the facts surrounding an individual's situation. The advice, although many times given with good intention, may not produce the results you hope to see that will keep you motivated in your journey.

You and your physician, are the best source for guidance...
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would say "act as if". If your actions (that includes diet, exercise, caring for your health physically and emotionally) are those of a healthy person, you will become a healthy person.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Counting calories, eating unprocessed clean food, no soda, exercise
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    NEVER QUIT
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Have faith in yourself and don't set yourself unrealistic goals.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    For me I think it is "Stand in my Truth." Whatever I do, just log it. I'll have great days, so so days, and awful days, but I have to "own" them.

This approach helped me get my financial life in order and now it is helping me start to manage my weight. Once I lose the weight, I want to continue standing in my Truth and be successful at maintenance.

When I retire I have a big to go list, I have to be healthy to do it all, and yes, I want it all.
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Start slowly with easy, sustainable changes.

Parking at the end of the lot when you shop. Air popped popcorn instead of microwave, cut your soda or latte habit by a little each week, add in more veg per week. Massive, immediate changes rarely work in the long term because they are hard to stick with and neither do fad diets.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I would say the key for me is to make 1 change at a time. I have always been one to dive into things and go overboard. This time, I started with just logging. When I got a handle on that, I started trying to hit my calorie goal. Next, I stopped having wine every day. Now I am working on hitting my macros.

This has been absolutely key for me. I've never approached it this way before, but I was inspired by the quote "If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done."

I recommend this approach to anyone who has an "all or nothing" tendency. It's a good way to break yourself of that. It's also a good way to get started when you feel stuck and lack motivation to begin. Start logging and the momentum starts to build.

Sounds just like me!

My advice - when it starts to fail you and you are ready to give up - loosen up some until the motivation returns. As opposed to just giving up. Just saved myself with that advice. Was done with it. Frustrated. All the "stay motivated, keep going, hang in there" advice sounded hollow right then. I was in a bad place and didn't have the "push through" in me I needed. I loosened up and BAM I'm still here.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

I spent years feeling helpless, believing nothing could change, making half hearted efforts to do more exercise, or eat more sensibly, and convincing myself I couldn't lose the weight.

For me the android app did it! I downloaded it and just started controlling my calories, and the weight started falling off!

There aren't any shortcuts or miracle cures - if you weigh more than you should, you have to eat less and move more to weigh less. But you have to start doing that - so just do it, stop talking yourself out of it!
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Don't let diet, fitness, macros, ect. control your life to the point you have no life.