Phentermine, The Pill that Makes Me Crazy as a Loon

Options

Replies

• tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was clear to say the "drug combo" was taken off the market. How do you know that your drug combo will not be next? I was told my combo was safe too and it was on the market for over 7 years, but tell that to those who lost their lives in the hopes of finding a quick fix to their weight loss issues. Weight loss is a long journey and one I suggest is best without drugs.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? I thought people were past 'weight loss drugs'? If something gives you anxiety, it's probably a good idea to stop taking it. Ffs, stop looking for the easy way out and count your gorramed calories.

:explode:
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Topiramate is another name for Topomax which is used for epilepsy and migraines, the chances of losing weight on it have always been on the low side but enough to be listed as a side effect.

I know this because had to memorize all this stuff when I used to take care of people who had both mental and physical disabilities and several of them were prescribed this for seizures.

That's so weird that it's been approved as a weight loss pill.

Believing the only viable option you have is to take a pill that makes you feel like crap is just setting yourself up for failure.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    BTW: Loons aren't crazy.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weeks might cut close, but I never worry about it, when I'm on Phentermine, I FREAK the heck out. I've held off telling my Dr. in the past because it's worked so well.

So you're saying you're taking a prescription drug and not telling your doctor that you're experiencing side effect. Nice. Sounds really healthy to me!

From WebMD
    Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: fast/irregular/pounding heartbeat, mental/mood changes (e.g., agitation, uncontrolled anger, hallucinations, nervousness), uncontrolled muscle movements, change in sexual ability/interest.

^Stop freaking the hell out and tell your doctor now. Stop screwing around. Seriously. DO you want to be happy and healthy or not? Do you want to keep tweeking out on some $hitty pill so you can lose an extra 2 lbs? IMO, EFF THAT.

TELL YOUR DOCTOR!!! Like yesterday.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I know I only get a months supply and I have to go to the doctor every month to be monitored.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    when Phen-Fen was legal a couple of decades ago, (Phentermine was the Phen in that).. the reason you took Phentermine and Fen was one was such a stimulant that the other had to be taken in order to calm one down. I cant remember which was the stimulant, but if it was the Pentermine then it is acting like cocaine to your body.

If you take a drug as a crutch, and it causes you worse problems, then its time to find a way to live without the crutch even if it slows down your weight loss. It may be that you are seeing that Phentermine is not good for your body since it affects your body like cocaine.

You have to find a way to live with food for the rest of your life without drugs ideally. Try to find that way and you will lose weight and keep it off, without Phentermine.
  • weezieweeks
    weezieweeks Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is the stimulant; fenfluramine was the drug that caused the heart valve problems. There have been a lot of experiments with Phentermine and antidepressants, but somehow the Topiramate has worked - it has been approved, so it not just prescribed for off label use anymore. Read up on the Qsymia; it is interesting in that it can be used for a longer period of time and utilizes a much lower dose of the phen. www.qsymia.com Now that it has come out, there is renewed interest in the phen/top combo because the two drugs by themselves are less expensive than the Q, but the formulation is not the same.
  • gallowglasslass
    gallowglasslass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've did it. I'm most likely in a crazed and crazy as hell state again. I've been dieting for 2 weeks before and lost 3lbs, decent weight loss, then I went back on Phentermine and Topiramate and I've lost 12lbs in one week. It's not a healthy weight loss, and the worst part is the anxiety it causes me, and the fact I'm aware of it. It's a horrible feeling, feeling like my world is going to come crashing down. I worry about money and everything when I'm taking Phentermine, it makes no sense. When I'm not on it, never, I'm fine. Weeks might cut close, but I never worry about it, when I'm on Phentermine, I FREAK the heck out.

Are you certain that it is the Phentermine that is causing your anxiety? I was prescribed Topiramate on two separate occasions for migraines, and it caused me to have a manic episode each time - sort of a medication-induced bipolar, given that I already have depressive episodes. Apparently it is not a common side effect, but it happens.

Combine that with a stimulant like Phentermine and I would be a gibbering wreck. Maybe you are another person who cannot tolerate the Topiramate, ask your doctor about that possibility.
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    Gallowglassla,

Thank you for your post; you bring up a good points to think about.

Do you remember what dose you were on?

I started on 25mg and moved to 50mg two weeks after that. I do know the dose I am taking is far less than what is prescribed for seizures, but I do not know how much is prescribed for migraines. I know there are much higher doses of the phentermine and maybe the topiramate at the clinic I go to than what I am taking, although that does not mean I will keep going up on the dose.

I appreciate the posts the help me do research.
  • gallowglasslass
    Options
    Do you remember what dose you were on?

I started on 25mg and moved to 50mg two weeks after that. I do know the dose I am taking is far less than what is prescribed for seizures, but I do not know how much is prescribed for migraines. I know there are much higher doses of the phentermine and maybe the topiramate at the clinic I go to than what I am taking, although that does not mean I will keep going up on the dose.

I appreciate the posts the help me do research.

The more recent time I was to start at 25mg for one week, then increase 25mg per week after that, up to 100mg as the final dose. I lasted less than two weeks... unfortunately tend to have bad reactions to migraine medications. One might think that there is not much worse than constant migraines, but I guarantee being manic from the meds is far worse!
  • CarKiller2013
    CarKiller2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I combined Phentermine with a 1200 cal/day diet last year and lost almost 50 lbs. It was under a doc's supervision so I thought I was fine. I experienced all the "normal" side effects...

-anxiety
    -mood swings
    -heart palpitations
    -profuse sweating

Lovely, right? And here I am, one year later. Gained all the weight back PLUS some.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that drugs, legal or otherwise, should not be used for weight loss. The results are temporary, and these drugs can cause long term effects you are not aware of.

The big weight loss secret is to burn more calories than you take in, and this is generally done by tracking calories and exercising.

Back in the early nineties, someone was selling some weight loss powder with ephedrine in it. My friend started on it, told me I should try it, and I did. I even bought my own. Wow, I could eat anything I wanted, as much as I wanted, and I lost weight. I didn't even have to exercise. Well, the side effect was a racing heart all the time, profuse sweating, and a really irritable personality. I'm sure people thought I was on drugs too. Soon after I decided not to use it anymore, ephedrine was made illegal in the state live in.

OP, I want to encourage you to stop taking the diet pill and learn a healthier way to lose weight. :)
  • weezieweeks
    Options
    The more recent time I was to start at 25mg for one week, then increase 25mg per week after that, up to 100mg as the final dose. I lasted less than two weeks... unfortunately tend to have bad reactions to migraine medications. One might think that there is not much worse than constant migraines, but I guarantee being manic from the meds is far worse!

Gallowglassla: Thank you for your post. So far I have not had any manic symptoms.

I am also lucky that I have not had the profuse sweating that many others report. I already have some warmth from post-menopausal hormones, or lack there of, so I guess that is enough. I also have noticed any heart palpitations. My blood pressure has gone down; somehow, I think that is related to the 50mg Top dose, so right now I am not on bp meds and am just monitoring my blood pressure.

I do find that I am quick to become irritable and am definitely working on self awareness of that, especially at work and around my husband. I am hoping that feeling better about getting a little weight off and making some progress will improve my outlook. I do notice some increased anxiety, but that is hard to sort out from my regular everyday life. My road has been rough for a while.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I've did it. I'm most likely in a crazed and crazy as hell state again. I've been dieting for 2 weeks before and lost 3lbs, decent weight loss, then I went back on Phentermine and Topiramate and I've lost 12lbs in one week. It's not a healthy weight loss, and the worst part is the anxiety it causes me, and the fact I'm aware of it. It's a horrible feeling, feeling like my world is going to come crashing down. I worry about money and everything when I'm taking Phentermine, it makes no sense. When I'm not on it, never, I'm fine. Weeks might cut close, but I never worry about it, when I'm on Phentermine, I FREAK the heck out.

Are you certain that it is the Phentermine that is causing your anxiety? I was prescribed Topiramate on two separate occasions for migraines, and it caused me to have a manic episode each time - sort of a medication-induced bipolar, given that I already have depressive episodes. Apparently it is not a common side effect, but it happens.

Combine that with a stimulant like Phentermine and I would be a gibbering wreck. Maybe you are another person who cannot tolerate the Topiramate, ask your doctor about that possibility.

You had a manic induced episode because its a mood stabilizer (just as people can have manic episodes from SSRIs). I would say considering phentermine is an amphetamine that it would be the obvious choice for the anxiety... Unless OP has underlying bipolar and has had similar results on other mood stabilizers!
  • gallowglasslass
    Options
    You had a manic induced episode because its a mood stabilizer (just as people can have manic episodes from SSRIs). I would say considering phentermine is an amphetamine that it would be the obvious choice for the anxiety... Unless OP has underlying bipolar and has had similar results on other mood stabilizers!

Yes, that was what I was asking OP. He might be bipolar and not even realise it, if he's not been on mood stabilisers before; the Topiramate could have triggered his first episode. I myself only have manic episodes when taking certain medications (SSRIs, tricyclics, certain anticonvulsants that are prescribed for migraines). Had I never been prescribed those meds I might not have ever had a manic episode.

OP's posts do not make it clear whether he was taking the Phentermine/Topiramate combo the first time he tried it (when the side effects were not as bad), or just the Phentermine. He also started in at a full 100mg dose of the Topiramate rather than gradually working up to it.

The Topiramate may have nothing to do with his symptoms at all, but on the off chance that it does, it is worth considering talking to his doctor about. Soon.

Edit: Fixed HTML tags.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Yes, that was what I was asking OP. He might be bipolar and not even realise it, if he's not been on mood stabilisers before; the Topiramate could have triggered his first episode. I myself only have manic episodes when taking certain medications (SSRIs, tricyclics, certain anticonvulsants that are prescribed for migraines). Had I never been prescribed those meds I might not have ever had a manic episode.

OP's posts do not make it clear whether he was taking the Phentermine/Topiramate combo the first time he tried it (when the side effects were not as bad), or just the Phentermine. He also started in at a full 100mg dose of the Topiramate rather than gradually working up to it.

The Topiramate may have nothing to do with his symptoms at all, but on the off chance that it does, it is worth considering talking to his doctor about. Soon.

Edit: Fixed HTML tags.

Hey guys,

I was just taking Phentermine the first time and I didn't have any problems as bad, I had some anxiety, but it's been much worse this time.. This is the first time I'm taking the topriamate with the Phentermine.

I don't think I'm bipolar, I've never been diagnosed as bi-polar or anything. I've been diagnosed with OCD (It gets bad some times) and a little bit of anxiety.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I combined Phentermine with a 1200 cal/day diet last year and lost almost 50 lbs. It was under a doc's supervision so I thought I was fine. I experienced all the "normal" side effects...

-anxiety
    -mood swings
    -heart palpitations
    -profuse sweating

Lovely, right? And here I am, one year later. Gained all the weight back PLUS some.

I was just Phentermine before lost 100lbs, didn't gain hardly any back over 2 years, I just want to jump start the loss to the final 50-60lbs. I lost 15lbs this week for the jump start. Just a little bit loony.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Melissa22G, who are you directing your post to?

The OP.

" I'm most likely in a crazed and crazy as hell state again"
    " It's not a healthy weight loss, and the worst part is the anxiety it causes me, and the fact I'm aware of it."
    " It's a horrible feeling, feeling like my world is going to come crashing down. I worry about money and everything when I'm taking Phentermine, it makes no sense."
    " when I'm on Phentermine, I FREAK the heck out."
    "I decided to jump start it again, and while the loss has been wonderful, the anxiety and everything has been just incredibly horrible."

I just quoted everything that has caused concern with the pill the OP is taking.

I'll say again, *I'd* prefer to lose weight while not freaking out or having anxiety.

That is what I said, and I believe it. I follow it, just wanted a jump start, usually I let my Dr. talk me into it. I just hate the anxiety but I like seeing the scale move like a race car.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    People talk about rebound weight, but I really have never suffered rebound weight from Phentermine the last time I was on it.

I gained about 30lbs back over a period of a little over a year, a very very stressful year.

rebound....

inigo-montoya.jpg