wheat belly

Options
2»

Replies

• amyrob56
    amyrob56 Posts: 27
    Options
    I know, another fad - but I started this in mid-June….and I have to say the results have been wonderful for me.
    I have lost 14lbs (yes I have also reduced other carbs and sugars as well - but that was much easier after I eliminated wheat).

Beyond the weight loss - even more important to me has been:

I am never Hungry!!! Snacking between meals does not occur to me anymore
    90% reduction in chronic joint pain (wrists, elbows, knees and back) = Amazing!!!
    100% reduction in acid reflex (I thought it was because I was drinking so much homemade wine - I’m still drinking the wine and the Acid Reflux is gone!)
    100% better sleep, fall asleep faster-stay asleep
    No more brain fog
    Much more energy.
    I can breath through my nose! I had horses growing up and always thought I was slightly allergic to either hay, grain dust or the horses themselves but I loved them more than dealing with not being able to breath through my nose. After horses were gone I just thought I had never learned to breath through my nose so that is why I still could/did not..... Now I breath through my nose and take deep breaths - all happened without my even noticing until one day Eureka I realized I was!

I have not completely eliminated wheat but I try to avoid any obvious sources and do read lables very carefully. I am not particuarly intolerant - I can have some wheat and not experience the severe digestive issues some people do.

However, I have noticed that when I do choose to or inadvertanly eat wheat these symptoms reappear almost immediately:
    joint pain
    increased cravings for more carbs
    stuffy head
  • amyrob56
    amyrob56 Posts: 27
    Options
    Just two more points -

Lean meats and fats are a part of the Wheat Belly plan.

Dr. Davis also explains why people who go "gluten-free" often do not lose weight and may even gain weight - it is because of the other "junk carbs" that are often substituted for wheat in gluten free processed foods and mixes. (like potato starch, etc.)

Again, to each their own but I am in the camp where wheat reduction works for me!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Just two more points -

Lean meats and fats are a part of the Wheat Belly plan.

Dr. Davis also explains why people who go "gluten-free" often do not lose weight and may even gain weight - it is because of the other "junk carbs" that are often substituted for wheat in gluten free processed foods and mixes. (like potato starch, etc.)

Again, to each their own but I am in the camp where wheat reduction works for me!

This was one of the first things I noticed upon reading the recipes. I have to do low carb in addition & the recipes are far from it :laugh: sooo....yep.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Wheat is not a group of food. The wheat that we eat now has been GMO from what was available 50 years ago. Many people are now being diagnosed with Celiac disease - from wheat - and gluten intolerance - more wheat. It's not very smart to think this doesn't have some merit.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It is not vegan. He highly encourages eating meats, fats, and a plethora of vegetables. Many, many people can attest to the fact that eliminating grains brought about better health in myriad ways.
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I read the book and decided to cut back on my wheat intake, as I realized I was just consuming way too much! I find that I sleep much better, my skin is more clear and over all I feel that I have more energy.

I don't agree with complete elimination of anything, but I do realize that too much of some things are not great either.

Try it out, adjust, if you feel good with eating no or less wheat, why not?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    No Effects of Gluten in Patients With Self-Reported Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity After Dietary Reduction of Fermentable, Poorly Absorbed, Short-Chain Carbohydrates

http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0016-5085/PIIS0016508513007026.pdf

Fast forward to the last min or so if you don't want to watch the whole thing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ucxeiyjpg

Also http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No Effects of Gluten in Patients With Self-Reported Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity After Dietary Reduction of Fermentable, Poorly Absorbed, Short-Chain Carbohydrates

http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0016-5085/PIIS0016508513007026.pdf

Fast forward to the last min or so if you don't want to watch the whole thing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ucxeiyjpg

Also http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

In for anti-science & inevitable "I know my body" argument
  • amyrob56
    Options
    I know those of us who have experienced the changes/improvements of a wheat reduced lifestyle will understand and those who haven't won't get this but wheat reduction in your food choices in not just about gluten. As I have said, I do not have a gluten intolerance - I don't have the tummy/digestive issues that gluten intolerant people have. But, I have experienced so many non-digestive improvements that mirror many of those who have tried wheat reduction or elimination. And I take issue with any one who thinks the decision to reduce or eliminate wheat from their food choices is not sustainable over a life span. For me wheat is no longer a food choice....perhaps like those who choose to not eat meat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nino, it does seem worse after eating grain, especially cereal, thick crust pizza, or white bread. The author of wheat belly also suggests skin problems, such as acne and dandruff could be a reaction to wheat. I have mild types of both, so it might be worth a try?
    Give it a try if you think you have a food sensitivity. What's the harm in giving up bread for a month? Nothing.

If I thought my running shoes were causing shin splints I'd stop wearing them....

Do I think "Wheat Belly" is the answer to everything? No. Do I think that modern industrialized food production has changed wheat? Yes. Do I think some of us have issues digesting grocery store bought breads? Yes.

So again: if you think you have an issue, try eliminating bread for a month. Or switch to a sprouted grain, or a bread with only a few ingredients you recognize and can pronounce.

For me, with bread, if I can pronounce the ingredients I can usually digest them.
    But that's me.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I know I read that the breads made with sprouted grains do not bother some folks that regular bread does. I personally haven't tried that. But I do enjoy delicious bread that make at home. There are many recipes on mfp and if you just google it. OOPSIE BREAD is delicious, simple to make and pretty dang cheap to make! There is even a Utube video if you are not a baker. I definitely wasnt but I am making breads and MIMs (muffin in a minute--also on here). They keep me satisfied and not missing a thing by giving up grain. Try it, see how you feel, and then make up your mind depending on the results you get with your body! That is my philosophy on eating anything nowdays! Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I know I read that the breads made with sprouted grains do not bother some folks that regular bread does. I personally haven't tried that. But I do enjoy delicious bread that make at home. There are many recipes on mfp and if you just google it. OOPSIE BREAD is delicious, simple to make and pretty dang cheap to make! There is even a Utube video if you are not a baker. I definitely wasnt but I am making breads and MIMs (muffin in a minute--also on here). They keep me satisfied and not missing a thing by giving up grain. Try it, see how you feel, and then make up your mind depending on the results you get with your body! That is my philosophy on eating anything nowdays! Good luck.
    Sprouted breads agree with me pretty well. Ezekiel, for one.
  • thatdarncass
    thatdarncass Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try to eat low glycemic, and that works well for me. I tend to stay away from grains, and instead get my carb intake from things like beans and fruits. I don't cut out grains completely, but rather have them maybe once or twice a week at most. I feel better when I am not consuming too much starch/grains (more energy, less bloat, less cravings, etc.). I've learned to cook a bit differently, but overall it's been a good change for me. I guess try it and see how you feel, but do so in moderation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I try to eat low glycemic, and that works well for me. I tend to stay away from grains, and instead get my carb intake from things like beans and fruits. I don't cut out grains completely, but rather have them maybe once or twice a week at most. I feel better when I am not consuming too much starch/grains (more energy, less bloat, less cravings, etc.). I've learned to cook a bit differently, but overall it's been a good change for me. I guess try it and see how you feel, but do so in moderation.
    This is pretty much me too, but when I DO eat breads, I go with Udi's millet chia or Ezekiel sprouted grain, or whatever hubs has in the bread maker.