I need a little help getting past my mindset...

Options
I know this is going to sound TOTALLY dumb, but I know I have to, and I do want to start weight training, but I keep thinking, for some reason, that I'm getting 'too old' to see any real results. I turn 44 this month. I don't know why I feel this way, but its keeping me from getting really motivated to start. I appreciate any feedback, advice, etc.!!

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Knowing it's ridiculous is half the battle. If you are on the right side of the dirt then you are young enough to start anything! :-)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Knowing it's ridiculous is half the battle. If you are on the right side of the dirt then you are young enough to start anything! :-)

Thanks!! :)
  • narsgirl79
    narsgirl79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Just make sure you get that cardio in so you can see your body change!

Can you do it??? YES YOU CAN!!!
  • harpmark
    harpmark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Like they say "Just DO IT" If had been doing it since I was your age I would have 19 years of fitness behind me. Imagine you saying that to someone in the future, and imagine the effect of those 19 years.

I agree with Beth!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/sarauk2sf

If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/sarauk2sf

If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will.

Nice...thanks!!
  • heatherluuu
    heatherluuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really didn't want to start toning... I'm a cardio queen, but I can tell you that after only a few boot camp classes that integrate weight training, I'm seeing definition. I was completely surprised. Now I'm looking to step it up. I'm 38 and still 25 pounds overweight.
    Hope this is a little motivation!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i turned 41 this past summer. am i getting the results of a 24 year old? hell no. but i do okay
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Dude, I abhor weightlifting, find it to be the most mind numbing repetitious load of cods wallop ever. But it's soooo good for you, in order to keep myself motivated I tend to mix it up.... A lot...., sometimes I'll use dead weight, sometimes I'll use resistance, just bought rip 60 to use my own body weight, and I cheat ....a lottttttt, if I am doing sets of three, I'll skip a couple of reps on the last set, not because I have to, but because I want to dammit. Sometimes I'll just do a couple of sets of something then call it a day, or I'll spread out the weightlifting over the day. I'm never going to get ripped this way, but I wouldn't anyway, because I abhor weightlifting, but at least it keeps me doing something.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    47, here.

Doing stuff and knocking down walls of my mind.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you get that cardio in so you can see your body change!

Ignore this part
    Can you do it??? YES YOU CAN!!!

but this part is true
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am almost 41 and will be starting soon...(I have the room almost set up and 2 days left of a program I made a goal to finish) then I am off the wonderful world of weights...

No reason your age will prevent you from being strong and fit...go for it
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound TOTALLY dumb, but I know I have to, and I do want to start weight training, but I keep thinking, for some reason, that I'm getting 'too old' to see any real results. I turn 44 this month. I don't know why I feel this way, but its keeping me from getting really motivated to start. I appreciate any feedback, advice, etc.!!
    I am 42 and disabled, any questions :drinker:
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and started weight lifting program with a very good trainer 2 weeks ago. I can honestly tell you after just the second workout I felt stronger and more motivated than doing cardio alone. I know my physical strength hadn't changed much after only 2 workouts but my mental strength and general physical feeling was amazing. I was gently reminded that muscles existed that I hadn't felt in over 15 years but it felt great!
    I say go for it. What's the worst that could happen? You decide you don't like it after a month or so and stop? But if you are like me and many others you'll love the way you feel and keep going back for more!!
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You are definitely young enough to get results! I was at a gym a couple of months ago and couldn't believe how many men and women in amazing shape in their 70's were lifting weights!!! It is very very encouraging and you could really be quite an example to others around you! You're never too old!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm getting 'too old' to see any real results.
    At 40 plus you don't change the way an 18 year old will change with the same amount of training. It is what it is. You need to manage your expectations. You may not become ripped or shredded, but you can slowly build up your strength and muscles.

I turn 50 later this month. I started my exercise routine about 2 years ago.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You will see results. More importantly, though, you'll feel it. You will be stronger. Feeling strong is an amazing feeling.

Now, START!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It depends on your expectations. Will you end up with the body of a 20 year old? No. Will you make drastic improvements to your body and fitness? Yes.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and 18 months ago I was morbidly obese and couldn't keep up with my kids on family vacations. Now I'm "just" obese, run 5/week and lift 2/week and while I still have 20 lbs to lose before I'm in the "just overweight" category, I feel energetic and strong and soon I'm going to incorporate MORE LIFTING into my workouts! Just DO it!

:)