Low calorie/fat/carb lunch options

Options
Hi, I am looking to lose weight and need ideas for a low calorie lunch (not salad). I am bored of eating salad all the time and would like advice on other options that are relative easy to prepare and eat at work - do you have any suggestions?

Replies

• littledante
    littledante Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You could make up your own veg pots at the weekend - e.g. rice/ qourn mince/ homemade tomato sauce? soups? What do you normally put in a salad?
  • emmakbroughton
    Options
    I normally have leaves and low fat cottage cheese with tomatoes, cucumber, onions and then either chicken or prawns - like the idea of veg pots - might make some this evening
  • littledante
    Options
    Try making salads more exciting with substance -
    haricot bean and spinach salad with orange sauce or grapes nuts and halloumi
    quorn sausage and tomato rice with rocket

or hummus is so easy to make with olives and rocket and cous cous
  • littledante
    Options
    chicken and prawns are a great idea. Fish also very good if you like it? Tuna/ mackeral easy to put in a salad?
  • littledante
    Options
    Fell like I'm not eating enough as I am always hungry after breakfast - but not sure how to eat enough and what to snack on without piling on the carbs/ calories. Am already bored with the ideas for breakfast. Concerned that I will not be able to maintain it all when work starts again.
  • emmakbroughton
    Options
    I have been having 3 eggs, scrambled for breakfast. This seems to last me till lunch time. I add smoked salmon or spinach to make it more exciting
  • rtjenny
    Options
    1. Quinoa with roasted vegetables
    2. Soup eg carrot & lentil, chorizo & chickpea etc
    3. Cold quiche
  • littledante
    Options
    I'm assuming thats for lunch not breakfast?! :0)
  • rtjenny
    Options
    Oh, sorry - should have said - yes lunch options. My breakfasts are usually some form of overnight oats or shredded wheat & almond milk during the week. Pancakes for brekkie on the weekends yay!
  • littledante
    Options
    yes i'm wondering when I should allow myself my favourite foods - pastry etc if I really want to see a change over the coming months - having been steering clear of pastries/ sugary cereals/ toast - altogether in the first few weeks as I am a total addict!! Dont know when I will be controlled enough just to have small amounts of these things as treats!
  • rtjenny
    Options
    yes i'm wondering when I should allow myself my favourite foods - pastry etc if I really want to see a change over the coming months - having been steering clear of pastries/ sugary cereals/ toast - altogether in the first few weeks as I am a total addict!! Dont know when I will be controlled enough just to have small amounts of these things as treats!

I think everything in moderation is a good thing. For example I bake a cake every two weeks. If I do have a slice now and again I see no harm. I believe depriving yourself sometimes make you want it more. I do go to the gym at least 5 times a week - so I make sure I run off the cake!!
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I bought some red wine vinegar. soaked cgicken breast tenders and season w mrs dash. baked. also broccoli n cauliflower roasted w seasoning and tad olive oil. put them in fridge and take out as much as I need for lunch each day. use other seasonings and no calorie marinade also. tilapia too. brussels sprouts. I switch it up.
  • yellowbd
    yellowbd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    honestly the best option i found was cooking one night a week for all my meals. I bake a ton of chicken breasts and fry one of the value packs of extra lean ground beef. While thats going I boil and/or steam veggies.

Once each item is cooked, I weigh out four ounces of one of the meats and add four ounces of veggies. Anything I can eat wihtin two days goes in the fridge and the rest goes in the freezer.

Try it for one week and I pormise you will never go back to scrambling for meals. :)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love making a nice pot of chili on the weekend to bring for lunch during the week! Chili also freezes nicely so you can save some for lunch another time.

I like using a variety of beans, and maybe a small amount of lean ground beef, and added a ton of chopped veggies!
  • littledante
    Options

I think everything in moderation is a good thing. For example I bake a cake every two weeks. If I do have a slice now and again I see no harm. I believe depriving yourself sometimes make you want it more. I do go to the gym at least 5 times a week - so I make sure I run off the cake!!

Thanks for that... I sometimes do okay at the exercise but can easily lack in motivation...
  • littledante
    Options
    honestly the best option i found was cooking one night a week for all my meals. I bake a ton of chicken breasts and fry one of the value packs of extra lean ground beef. While thats going I boil and/or steam veggies.

Once each item is cooked, I weigh out four ounces of one of the meats and add four ounces of veggies. Anything I can eat wihtin two days goes in the fridge and the rest goes in the freezer.

Try it for one week and I pormise you will never go back to scrambling for meals. :)

Really great advice - am going to try that when school starts again because I either have made sandwiches for work or I have no energy and then eat cake that often appears in vast quantities on the staff room table.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi,

for breakfast I vary between porridge, bread and jam, eggs and ham...

for lunch I bring whatever's left over from dinner the night before - ie a cooked lunch, today for example it's a little bit of pasta with homemade low-cal meat and tomato sauce + cucumber and lettuce.
    Yesterday it was turkey breast with herbs, quinoa and lettuce again...
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options

That's a great idea :-)
  • thequiltmama
    Options
    One of my favorites for breakfast is Instant oatmeal strawberries and cream. It is already sweet enough and only 130 cals per package. Not a lot to eat but has substance for breakfast.

As for lunch, I am all over the place on that. But one of my favorites for under 200 cals is a refried bean taco.
    1 flour tortilla 100 cals (or 2 corn tortillas- hard to heat at work)
    1/4 cup refried beans 45 cals
    lettuce and tomato plus add hot sauce to flavor. And if you don't add the sprinkle of cheese on top you will save more.

So the grand total (without cheese) is right around 150 cals. And oh so yummy. If you add a smidge of cheese you are around 180 and get everything you need..... protein, carb, veggies and diary.

Can't wait to see ideas from others as I am always looking for new ones. =)
  • thequiltmama
    Options
    One of my favorites for breakfast is Instant oatmeal strawberries and cream. It is already sweet enough and only 130 cals per package. Not a lot to eat but has substance for breakfast.

As for lunch, I am all over the place on that. But one of my favorites for under 200 cals is a refried bean taco.
    1 flour tortilla 100 cals (or 2 corn tortillas- hard to heat at work)
    1/4 cup refried beans 45 cals
    lettuce and tomato plus add hot sauce to flavor. And if you don't add the sprinkle of cheese on top you will save more.

So the grand total (without cheese) is right around 150 cals. And oh so yummy. If you add a smidge of cheese you are around 180 and get everything you need..... protein, carb, veggies and diary.

Can't wait to see ideas from others as I am always looking for new ones. =)

OOPS ...... DAIRY NOT DIARY. =)