Protein Shakes

Options
What's the big deal with fellas with protein shakes in and around the gym at the moment? I always used to take the view that supplements were taken by poor people who couldn't afford to buy steaks/"proper food". Shouldn't the right level of nutrition be achievable through normal eating? Is it just that a protein shakes tastes sweeter/nicer? Faster/easier to consume? Cheaper?

Can someone please explain to me that this is (or isn't) just the product of marketing? I didn't see this 5 years ago...

Replies

• drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I take protein shakes mainly for convenience but I also get roughly half of my protein from foods, I take between 200g and 250g a day of protein ( on excercise days around 180-220g on rest day) I think I would really struggle if I tried to get all of that from food.
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    for me a protein shake is strictly to be used when I am in a hurry. I have them in my house, but the only time I make myself one is for convenience. If the kids are taking too long to get ready and I need something to eat in the car on the way to work I will make one. and I do like having them, but I'm like you i want to get my protein from real food as much as possible.
  • Socalgal13
    Options
    For me protein shakes are for when I am trying to make my goal of >100 grams a day and I am going to be short. Trying to get all that protein in with food sometimes is really hard. I just had 6 egg whites for breakfast and that is only 22 grams of protein and I am stuffed to the gills. I also is a very portable way to get your protein in, harder to eat greek yogurt and drive at the same time!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Far easier to throw some milk and powder into a shaker before I train than to eat a steak. As well, steak can be 5 bucks a pound so 2.50 for 8oz which is around 60-80g protein. A shake is comparable to that in terms of price when milk is used.

Water can be used in place of milk, but I don't like the taste
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The bioavailability of the protein is different. Meaning- steak takes a lot longer to digest and absorb. A lot of people believe (based on data which is admittedly controversial- but there is data) that consuming an easily digestible protein source right after a workout with weights helps build muscle better.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The protein shakes my husband buys are not cheap. I think he likes that it is high protein and low calorie.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Whey is convenient, whey is a very efficient way to boost total protein intake without a big impact on calorie intake, it's cheap compared to most whole food protein sources. It tastes good.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Powdered whey protein has some great advantages over food, as noted above. To summarize, with some other advantages:

*) Low calorie count for the protein payload
    *) Low cost per protein gram when you get it in bulk
    *) High concentration of protein per volume
    *) Convenience of carriage and preparation
    *) You can choose the amino acid profile you want
    *) Whey protein is fast-acting compared to others
    *) A variety of flavors (including "unflavored")
    *) Can be mixed in to a of different kinds of recipes, not just shakes

Whey protein isolate has even more advantages.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    For me I drink protein shakes more as a "snack" for the day rather than as a pre or post workout thing. I try to eat my protein as much as I can but when I'm lacking I'll make a shake or blend up a shake with frozen fruit, yogurt, chia seeds and water. I prefer hemp protein because of the fiber and aminos, but if I need protein for that day I'll make a drink with whey protein isolate.