Clean Foods List

Options

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    But.................everything has chemicals in it..........
  • karycositarika
    Options
    New ... Good morning !! Looking 4 new friends send me friwnd request ... Buenos dias buscando nuevos amigos mandame tu amistad:wink::smile: :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Clean really does depend on the person and how you wish to define it to help you reach your goals. Use the term as a tool for you, not as an absolute. This site isn't about "clean" but about maximizing nutrition by choosing "powerhouse" foods. People can debate the list, don't take it as a food bible, but you won't go wrong including these foods as the majority of your diet.

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

Don't forget to enjoy your treats too. Some people do well eating in moderation. Others do well finding substitutes. Do what works for you. I like chocolate covered katie's website for making desserts-but it's because I'm vegan, and all the recipes are vegan, and they can easily be made gluten free, so the recipes work for me. Others may prefer some other website for making "treat" foods. Still others will follow 80/20 and use the 20 on whatever they want. Still others are just focused on calorie counting to lose weight and get in the game.

Wherever you are at is ok. You'll find what works for you.
  • april1445
    Options
    the Body for Life book written by Bill Phillips has a list of "authorized foods". It's pretty good. Also, the GI diet has some helpful guidelines. Or there's just thinking of "one ingredient" foods. The less processed it is, the better.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Basic rule of thumb - if it has an ingredients list, it isn't "clean".

Ridiculous. Eat all the food barring personal dislikes & medical needs there is no reason to avoid any food or type. Hit your macros & micros and you'll be fine.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Ridiculous. Eat all the food barring personal dislikes & medical needs there is no reason to avoid any food or type. Hit your macros & micros and you'll be fine.
    What's the "ingredient list" for an apple, again? That makes an apple unclean, right?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

well, milk has ingredients list. I suppose that isn't clean?
    My home made curries has an ingredients list. I suppose that isn't clean?
    chicken salad has an ingredients list. I suppose that isn't clean?

No, not true. This argument can get ridiculous to the extent that you cant eat anything. The person above said it right - its food with the least processing (at the factory where it came from), without ingredients you cannot pronounce. and depending on what diet your on, the list will be different.

What about protein powder? I guess thats not clean too eh?

Hi - I dont know what protein powder would qualify as. I dont drink it so i dunno.

One poster above mentioned an apple - it would be considered a clean food because it is not something manmade in a factory.

Another poster above said you can eat everything in moderation.. but thats not what this topic specifically says.

I have seen a lot of ironic posts here, like I said, just be reasonable about it - dont argue to the point of being ridiculous - clean food is that which is the least processed in a factory or wherever the food comes from.

Fresh fruits and vegetables and meat and milk can be considered clean foods.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    What about protein powder? I guess thats not clean too eh?

Right. Protein powder is not "clean".

What about my homemade Biryani? It has many ingredients many folks in the west can't pronounce. Does that make it clean for me and not other folks?

I said above that home made food is generally considered clean food. I dont know whats in your biryani, but if it is homemade, that is a good sign, and if you get fresh foods, it probably will be considered clean.

This can get ridiculous, we cannot name every single food, and we cant explain it enough to suit everyone.. so just remember - to me clean food is -

food that is the least processed, by that I mean food processed in a factory where there are added chemicals, preservatives, salts and sugars to make it sit on the supermarket shelf for a long time, as opposed to fresh fruit and veg, and other fresh food, and so just follow that general rule and you will know what a clean food is.

Its nothing to get uppity about, its just knowing what food would be a better choice for those looking for fresh food ingredients and not processed food which come from the unrefrigerated middle aisles of the grocery store.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Are you sure you're responding to the correct post? I didn't say a single word about what should or shouldn't be eaten - I was simply answering a definitional question.

As for milk...it is produced by placing cows in an unnatural state, and the raw product is pasteurized ("cooked"), homogenized (passed through an atomizer), and separated (run through a centrifuge), and then reconstituted. I love dairy products and use them regularly, but the idea that store bought milk is particularly "natural" is more marketing hype than reality.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    jsMJAWb.gif
    In with my "clean" popcorn.
  • magerum
    Options

Are you sure you're responding to the correct post? I didn't say a single word about what should or shouldn't be eaten - I was simply answering a definitional question.

As for milk...it is produced by placing cows in an unnatural state, and the raw product is pasteurized ("cooked"), homogenized (passed through an atomizer), and separated (run through a centrifuge), and then reconstituted. I love dairy products and use them regularly, but the idea that store bought milk is particularly "natural" is more marketing hype than reality.

I was responding to the ridiculous definition. As for milk, good luck getting it to the masses otherwise.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There is no compelling reason to get milk to "the masses" at all.
  • magerum
    Options

Getting any and all food to the masses is a compelling enough reason. Come down from your ivory tower.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Getting any and all food to the masses is a compelling enough reason. Come down from your ivory tower.

ivory is clean so they're OK to stay there.
  • magerum
    Options

ivory is clean so they're OK to stay there.

Touche
  • NonnyMary
    Options

This is an example of in my opinion where words have different meanings to different people, I think.

we're not talking natural, organic, raw, etc. its just "clean food".. this is not to diss the "everything in moderation" people. this is just narrowing down to what would be considered clean or cleaner food.. of course, everything that is not on your own farm, homegrown in your garden, etc. is processed to some extent, i mean even apples have to be processed by being picked from the tree, then sent to the market, and maybe in the meantime sprayed with something to keep its color.

however, besides the folks who are being funny here as in ha ha ha funny - use your own judgment when you read the following -

clean food vs processed food -

apple vs applie pie
    apple vs frozen apple fritters
    banana vs banana bread
    grilled steak vs frozen steak burrito
    fresh spinach from produce section vs spinach souffle in the freezer
    homemade soup using fresh veg, tomatos, and spices from your spice rack vs Campbells soup
    milk from the dairy case vs powdered milk from the baking section in the grocery aisle
    real tomatos vs tomato sauce in a can
    Real chicken vs chicken mcnuggets from McDonalds
    homemade samosas made with your own ingredients vs Taco Bell tacos
    Real pizza from a pizza restaurant vs frozen pizza
    real tomatos vs ketchup from the store
    real food you make from scratch vs Weight Watchers TV dinner
    homemade pie vs Little Debby snack cakes

I hope this makes sense to anyone who wants an answer for what is considered clean food.

Even those who believe in IIFYM can do this too as part of their daily eating.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Those qualifiers would seem to discount water as "clean" or "natural," whether from the tap, filtered after the tap, or bottled, let alone any you'd find in a river or lake (and do you really want to drink lake water?). Is that your final answer?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Oh not this again...please.... Do you people have nothing better to do than sit around and split hairs all day?
  • chayes627
    Options
    You can go by the 3 step rule-if it takes more than 3 steps to get back to the base ingredient for nature the dont eat it.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    999041_693250940701327_866091457_n.jpg

Clean enough?