What 1 pound per week looks like (with pics-hopefully)

Options
This is my first time posting a success story. I never imagined that I would post my very revealing before pics in a public forum but I wanted this to inspire those who scoff at slow and steady weight loss goals. I started this process just over a year ago and have lost the equivalent of about 1 pound per week. Here's my story:

I was never overweight growing up. I was athletic and active and fit and never concerned about being a skinny girl. I ate pretty healthily and didn't pay much attention to the scale. As a woman who is 6'1", gaining or losing a pound here or there doesn't really show up that easily.

Flash forward to about 10 years ago when I found myself working more and working out less. I continued to eat as I always had when I was more active and since I still went to the gym for 45 minutes of cardio about 2-3 times per week, I didn't notice anything initially. Over the years I did see subtle changes like my clothes getting tighter and that I was wearing a size or two larger than I previously had; but it all happened so gradually that I wasn't really paying attention to the changes. In my mind, I was still the fit, athletic girl I'd always been.

In the mirror and on the scale, was a totally different story. One day I got on the scale at the gym and found that I was 40 pounds heavier than I thought I was! That was my wake up call and the kick in the pants I needed to start paying attention.

So enough with the background, here's the before:

June 2012

wVTBbN9.jpg
SpIWsYW.jpg

And my favorite, the dreaded rear view. Note to self: "Always look BEHIND you!!"
98aFhYJ.jpg

Flash forward 1 year to the after/during:

June 2013
JswWbJd.jpg
uGYB0vr.jpg
jS9csvd.jpg

I'm still a work in progress, though my focus now is on building more strength and decreasing body fat rather than focusing on the number on the scale.

So what did I do? What was the "magic" or "secret" to losing 50 pounds?
It wasn't raspberry ketones, or juice clenses or starvation or any of that stuff people ask about on these forums from time to time.
The magic was boring, but tried and true: I tracked what I ate, I ate at a deficit, I exercised moderately and included strength training. And slowly, one week at a time, one pound at a time, I made it here.

That's it folks. It's not always easy but it's also not complicated. You don't have to lose 3 pounds a week to get there. Give it enough time and those numbers add up.

Replies

• HeyHeyLynn
    HeyHeyLynn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • WowWowWanda
    WowWowWanda Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Inspiring! Good for you!!!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    wow!! amazing!!! ty for sharing ! so inspiring!
  • newfette81
    Options
    Great job.

I like seeing stories like these cause I know I will never lose 100 pound in 8 months or other large amounts in less than a year. I lose about a pound a week and I have to work my tail off for it. It's nice to see results with a slower loss!!

Keep it up!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    WOWsers! Great job! You have done some work there.

(also great job figuring out the whole pictures thingy) :wink:
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I also am trying to loose 50lbs and I always thing I MUST loose 2lbs a week or Im failing.... I appreciate knowing that 1lb a week is still OK!!

Thanks!
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    wow can see the ab muscles, you go girl! slow and steady always wins the race, it's a lifestyle change
  • rosanahizon
    rosanahizon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your story. I need to keep my eye on the prize but like you said, one pound at a time, one week at a time. Thanks so much!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress! Congrats and good luck on your future goals!
  • sdpeklo
    Options
    Yay.... You look fantastic. Way to go! Awesome post...1 lb per week....so attainable and you are right slow and steady wins every time. Best Wishes on your journey!
  • sasers
    sasers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. I am hoping myself to keep going (today is day 50) and I hope to lose a total of 67 lbs at least. I probably should take some before pictures myself but I've already lost 13 lbs so far so they won't be from the beginning.
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    6'1" woman here! Slow and steady wins the race! I'm happy to see your story because that's pretty much my approach. Feel free to add me if you want :)
  • aablacknell
    aablacknell Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Awesome...I love hearing your story. Thanks for the reminder to appreciate the small steps because they lead to huge rewards:love: !
  • ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Such an inspirational story. Thank you for sharing with us!
  • leachjg
    leachjg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Mine is much the same only I am 5'5" and have lost 49. Your pictures are great. I have about 15 more to lose and have done it the same way. My motto is dedication and hard work. Great job. You will be there soon!
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Great job and great advice for those just starting. One pound a week sounds horrible and like it will never come, but the other options just don't get the job done. Good for you!
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You are an awesome success story!
  • mimi337
    mimi337 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring -- you are now my rock star role model and I will look to you from now on when I'm thinking complaining and worrying about my status. Slow is better and you prove it!
  • nuday813
    nuday813 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You spoke just what I needed to hear. Thank you sooooo much. You look fantastic. Congratulations to you!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!