If I didn't eat frequently, I'd be hungry all the time, why?

Options
Does anyone else feel hungry MUCH of the time? I eat a little bit all day long because otherwise I'd get so hungry that my willpower would hit a wall and I would binge. I fill up on "healthy" or "low calorie" vegetables because I feel if I did otherwise I wouldn't be able to limit my intake. I eat about 55 grams of fibre a day, probably 6-8 fruits a day and 400 grams of carrots/broccoli. I look at other people's profiles and see them eating far less than me, or the things they do eat are high calorie and I wonder why I have to load up on healthy stuff so frequently and so much. I do try to drink a lot of liquids which makes me pee a few times a day.

Also, this is another question, if your daily calories goes down as you lose weight, does it get harder and harder or do you get satisfied with less the lighter you are?

I do take a medication called zyprexa(olanzapine) which is notorious for increasing appetite, but I take a low dosage so I'm always a little uncertain of how much a role it actually plays in my hunger issues.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you eating?

I have noticed that when I eat 6x per day I am constantly hungry and thinking about food.
  • x1v16
    x1v16 Posts: 66
    Options
    87 grams of protein on average over the last 6 days.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    because if your trying to lose weight you are at a calorie deficit. I do well on the weekdays and i do well even on the weekends but it's harder then because ive noticed that every three commercials are for food lol. And today I was hungry all day. or maybe bored. but I stayed under my calories.
  • whierd
    Options
    87 grams of protein on average over the last 6 days.

Try upping your protein. It takes longer to digest and thus should help with some of the cravings. You should aim for .8-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.
  • ilovemilkymoos
    ilovemilkymoos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A helathy diet is not just about the balance of calories and nutrients you eat, but also how and when you consume them!

It is better to "graze" throughout the day than to eat 2 or 3 big meals. It will increase you metabolism and you will get a more sustained energy release.
    It will also help with "hungry binge eating" something that people succomb to when limiting they're calorie intake whenout planning they're meals and snacks.

I eat when i feel hungry, which is anywhere between 5-8 times a day.
  • whierd
    Options
    A helathy diet is not just about the balance of calories and nutrients you eat, but also how and when you consume them!

It is better to "graze" throughout the day than to eat 2 or 3 big meals. It will increase you metabolism and you will get a more sustained energy release.
    It will also help with "hungry binge eating" something that people succomb to when limiting they're calorie intake whenout planning they're meals and snacks.

I eat when i feel hungry, which is anywhere between 5-8 times a day.

The old "wisdom" of eating smaller and more frequent meals has already been debunked by science. Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. You could consume all of your daily calories in one sitting and as long as you are eating a caloric deficit, you will still lose weight.

Eating frequently is a matter of personal preference.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Yes, my question would also be "How much protein are you eating?" Protein helps you to feel full longer.

MFP's default percentage for protein is inadequate for most overweight and obese people. The RDA for protein is 0.8g per kilogram of bodyweight. That is just the RDA. A lot of athletes, people who work out a lot, and people eating at a caloric deficit choose to eat more than the RDA.

Run the numbers and make sure that you are getting at least the minimum required for your current weight. You can override the MFP percentages by selecting "Goals" on the My Home page and then choosing "Custom". You can then change your protein percentage to a level that will meet your needs.

(Edited to add: I was interrupted while writing my post and in the meantime you already answered the protein intake question. Sorry, for the redundancy of my question.)
  • whierd
    Options
    Also, I forgot to ask. How much fat are you consuming per day?
  • x1v16
    Options
    50 grams of fat a day
  • whierd
    Options
    Try to up that to around 90g per day. It will help sate you more and dietary fat plays a very important role in our bodies.
  • ilovemilkymoos
    ilovemilkymoos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fair enough on time of day and overall calorie intake, but consuming 1 large meal per day will ultimately lead to hungry pangs and failure by binge eating.
    If your hungry, then eat! The OP has asked is there anything he can do to stop eating so often....
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I find hunger to be an interesting concept, which sounds ludicrous I know, but the division between physiological and psychological 'symptoms' of hunger.

Many people report that eating makes them hungry, which I would say holds true for me too. I can go without breakfast without a thought, but once I have a snack or a coffee it's like my body says 'oh yeah, that's right, I'm hungry... feed me more you neglectful *kitten*' :laugh:

My biggest step in progress was working out what eating pattern was right for me, eating frequent small meals doesn't give me feeling of being satiated, and I enjoy eating at night. So therefore I load my calories progressively throughout the day, and consume over half my calories in about a three hour window at night.

Sorry, that was a little ranty. The TL;DR version:
    Figure out what eating pattern works for your body - meal timing is largely irrelevant. If you are a big eater a couple of large meals with longer times in between may work better for you - but experiment!
    Get a good amount of protein and fats (top up the remaining calories with whatever macro you choose) this will likely leave you feeling fuller
  • whierd
    Options
    Fair enough on time of day and overall calorie intake, but consuming 1 large meal per day will ultimately lead to hungry pangs and failure by binge eating.
    If your hungry, then eat! The OP has asked is there anything he can do to stop eating so often....

Some people are able to do this. I think it is called Intermittent Fasting...or whatever. But yeah, I wouldn't be able to do it.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I agree on the protein and fat as well. Healthy fats of course, like avocado and nuts. A great snack is an apple with peanut butter. But your on the right track with the grazing all day.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    It just dawned on me, you haven't said how many total calories you are consuming (or burning) each day... can you fill us in on that?
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yes, my question would also be "How much protein are you eating?" Protein helps you to feel full longer.

MFP's default percentage for protein is inadequate for most overweight and obese people. The RDA for protein is 0.8g per kilogram of bodyweight. That is just the RDA. A lot of athletes, people who work out a lot, and people eating at a caloric deficit choose to eat more than the RDA.

Run the numbers and make sure that you are getting at least the minimum required for your current weight. You can override the MFP percentages by selecting "Goals" on the My Home page and then choosing "Custom". You can then change your protein percentage to a level that will meet your needs.

(Edited to add: I was interrupted while writing my post and in the meantime you already answered the protein intake question. Sorry, for the redundancy of my question.)
    You need .8 g/lb of LEAN BODY MASS. An overweight person usually has 30%+ body fat, which puts MFP's macros in the wheelhouse.
  • minizebu
    Options

Many people report that eating makes them hungry, which I would say holds true for me too. I can go without breakfast without a thought, but once I have a snack or a coffee it's like my body says 'oh yeah, that's right, I'm hungry... feed me more you neglectful *kitten*' :laugh:

If you eat a carbohydrate heavy snack or meal then your blood sugar will rise fairly rapidly afterward. Your pancreas will then release insulin in order to lower your blood sugar. When your blood sugar is low again, you will feel hungry again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

On the other hand, if you pair protein along with the carbohydrate (e.g. apple with peanut butter, as one of the other posters suggested, or crackers with cheese, or bread with chicken, etc.), then the initial blood sugar response will be mediated by the protein, as will the insulin response as well. The result is that you feel fuller longer.

So, be sure to have a fair amount of protein at your first meal of the day. This will help you to feel full and you will be less likely to feel hungry or crave another snack or meal soon afterward.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Maybe you are not hungry but thirsty.
  • minizebu
    Options
    You need .8 g/lb of LEAN BODY MASS. An overweight person usually has 30%+ body fat, which puts MFP's macros in the wheelhouse.

I was quoting the RDA for protein, which is 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight, and it is the amount recommended by WHO and the NIH.

Some people do indeed eat more than that amount. Whether or not they *need* more is a question for experts.

I happen to eat one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, but I can't say that that amount is right for everyone.
  • x1v16
    Options
    2200 calories right now. I am trying to lose 1 pound a week. If I was trying to lose more than that I would have to do some substantial exercise to feel satisfied with what I was eatting. I lost 25 pounds over 6-7 weeks early this year by doing it 1.5 pounds a week as my goal but i HAD to exercise 400-500 calories a day AND eat those calories to feel ok with my diet.