When should I start lifting?

Options
So I'm female, 168 lbs/12 stone. I want that nice lean body and currently I'm mainly focusing on cardio. Losing weight is my goal but I feel like I'm not making any progress. I think I might have lost inches but it's hard to tell. Would strength training tighten me up or would it just make my muscles bigger under all the weight? Should I start lifting heavy now or wait until I've lost a significant amount of weight? Also how often and how long should I lift?
My goal is to get down to between 8-9 stone. Currently I do between 1-2 hours cardio a day, broken up in several walks and gym session. At the gym I try a few machines, hip abductors and free weights, but only 15 minutes or so. I do lift medium sized weights, not too light, not too heavy.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm going to be starting JM 30DS and KB&T soon to help tighten me up. Thank you.

Replies

• AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I did New Rules of Lifting For Women last year, when I was around 14 stone. I lost only 8lbs in weight in a 4 months, but much more importantly I lost 2 whole dress sizes!! I went down to a UK size 14 from an 18 and not far off a size 12. I was in the best shape of my life and regret falling off the wagon. I'm back at it from this week as I know it works so well. Lifting does not help you shift as many lbs as you might like, but you have to realise that you are melting away fat and some of the weight is being replaced by lean muscle.

If you want to really tone your body and look better, don't hesitate, start lifting! :)

P.S. I'd highly recommend NRoLFW!! If you've never heard of it, look it up and buy the book for the workouts, also great support group on here and facebook
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Heavy ( for you) weights are great, I'm not losing weight but am getting smaller :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Today. :drinker:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Today. :drinker:
    ^^^this^^^
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I've only read your post title, and I haven't read the replies, but here's my answer...

Yesterday.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Now. Weight builds muscle, muscle burns calories.
  • juliadijk
    juliadijk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women. For sure! I am currently doing The New Rules of Lifting (for Men) and I LOVE it. Low intensity steady state cardio will get you nowhere (your body will still be the same shape, just smaller). Start lifting as soon as possible!
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    How much more weight do you want to lose? Are you near your goal weight? If so then start lifting now!
    You'll need some good protein go help build the muscles!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Today
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've only read your post title, and I haven't read the replies, but here's my answer...

Yesterday.

^^^this^^^

I've been lifting off and on for a while, and I can definitely tell a difference. The scale doesn't move much, but in pictures, I can see the way my body is changing.

8333632541_30b15c1f26.jpg
    sept-dec by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

there was only a few pounds lost over the span of these pictures--maybe 5#.

8696528886_a515f0a1fa.jpg
    L to R: 4/13, 3/13, 11/12 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

there was NOTHING lost over the span of these pictures. Do I look like I've gotten bulky?

I do 2-3 cardio days, and 2 days of strength a week. When I work with my trainer on strength, he likes to have a cardio component and keep my HR up too.
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I know lifting won't make my weight fall off, that's not why I want to do it. I don't have any muscle strength (hypterthyroid) so I want to be strong and look toned. Plus to get rid of any lose skin. I've just keep getting told that I need to lose the weight first or I'll just look bigger.
    I haven't lost any weight yet so I can't determine if what I'm doing is right or not. I'm going to have a look at New Rules of Lifting for Women though. Also my goal is to lose roughly 3 stone, or between 40-50 lbs. Like I said, nothing's changing on the scale and there's no visual difference (although my own perception won't be the best judge).
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I know lifting won't make my weight fall off, that's not why I want to do it. I don't have any muscle strength (hypterthyroid) so I want to be strong and look toned. Plus to get rid of any lose skin. I've just keep getting told that I need to lose the weight first or I'll just look bigger.
    I haven't lost any weight yet so I can't determine if what I'm doing is right or not. I'm going to have a look at New Rules of Lifting for Women though. Also my goal is to lose roughly 3 stone, or between 40-50 lbs. Like I said, nothing's changing on the scale and there's no visual difference (although my own perception won't be the best judge).

it has taken me quite a while to be able to *see* my own progress. People would walk up to me and tell me they could see changes, and I honestly thought they were making it up. My ex trainer, who I absolutely adore, would tell me stuff like "I can see the muscle definition coming out in your arms and shoulders". It's just been in the last 4-6 months that I can look at the pictures and pick out the tiny little changes.

this is 4 months of leg pictures, from late winter/early spring when I was lifting regularly

8681873330_339aebbf74.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr