started yesterday. want to see results SOON. any ideas?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If seeing results is the only thing that will keep you motivated, be sure you're looking for a lot of different kinds of results.

Take measurements and photos now. You won't always see changes on the scale or in the mirror, but if you have a recording of your measurements and can compare some photos, you might be surprised at the changes you'll see.

Look for improvements in your fitness level. Being able to run faster or longer, being able to do pushups from your toes instead of your knees, lifting heavier weights, lasting longer on the elliptical, not feeling like your bum is on fire on the bike, looking forward to exercise instead of dreading it...

Look for improvements in your every life. Not getting out of breath carrying the laundry upstairs, bringing in all the groceries in one trip, lifting the 50 pound bag of rock salt with ease instead of buying the 10 pound bag. Even the changes from eating healthier... my hair and nails grow ridiculously fast, and my skin is much clearer from eating better and drinking more water. I also rarely get sick now.

If you stick with it, you will see results. But sometimes you need to look for the results.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You don’t want to hear this but there is no such thing as a quick fix … think about how long you have been overweight or unfit and all of your self confessed bad habits. Now consider the time it takes to address all of these issues. Also you need to accept that if you truly want this and want to change for the better, these changes are for the rest of your life! No you won’t be able to slip back into those bad habits once you are in maintenance, and you will probably if successful, never be able to eat or drink how you did before.

We live in a selfish society where we expect everything immediately … few people have the strength, determination or willpower to commit to a plan knowing it will take months or in some cases years to accomplish.

I, like you, came onto MFP in January thinking this would be a doddle. I thought I would be done by now – reality check I am about half way to my goal and I have worked my *kitten* off! Every day is a challenge, some more than others, and yes I often fall off the wagon, but keep coming back for more.

Try looking at the treads on success stories and you will see that it takes everyone (even those with a relatively small goal) months to accomplish… there are some amazing hard working people on this site!

Good luck!
  • Heather032190
    Heather032190 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Is that a bug on your tongue?

If you ate it, you do have to write that down too :huh: :laugh:

Seriously, change is usually slow and painful - don't expect this to be "AS SEEN ON TV - Eat all you want, lose weight in your sleep!"

Believe me, if that worked everyone would do it ONCE and there would be no need for a site like this. The process takes slow and steady commitment, even when you don't see results.

Good luck!

^^ Agreed!
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Well, to your credit, you're honest and upfront.

BUT I think the biggest favor you can do yourself is to change your expectations. It did not take you 24 hours or 1 week to get the way you are and it will NOT be erased or undone in 24-48 hours or a week or a month or possibly several months.

I don't think you're ready. (Unfortunately, I too am honest.)

Good luck.

I completely agree with this post including the opinion that she is not ready.
  • Frankii_x
    Options
    You didn't put the weight on over night, you won't lose it overnight.

The things that needs to change most is your approach to this. You sound very much like I did a year before I actually changed my lifestyle - wanting a quick fix. There isn't one. Hard work and consistency is what breeds results and even then they can be slow.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My idea is to take the advice others have given you. Especially to cut down on, or possibly eliminate altogether, the alcohol. I hate the idea of 'drinking' my calories with something alcohol....good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    really????

Develop some patience period. If this was easy everyone would do it and none of us would be over weight.

You want a quick fix try a fad diet (not that I am recommending) you will see results fast but not permanent.

You want long lasting results start with baby steps. Get more active even if it's a 20min walk, then work on your intake, then get more active, by this time you will have seen a few good results and that alone will motivate you.

And Yes I am speaking from experience. January 7th 2013 I did the first 2 baby steps lost 28lbs in 3 months then got more active and more serious and I am so motivted right now nothing will stop me.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Cut down on the alcohol, Change to things like vodka and slimline tonic/ gin or tonic

Less calories, Also I find when I drink, it gives me the munchies too ..... All this adds up!!
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't start if you are not ready! the worst thing i did was doing strict diets since i was 14 and those stupid diets brought me to the state I am today... an elephant! And considering I was only 65 kg when i was 14-15. Started dieting to get down to 55 but everytime i was losing and put it back with other 3-4 kg more!. I found myself after 8 years weighting almost 130 kg!
    I would also never advice anyone who need to lose 10 kg to change to much their food intake, I would advice them only to do exercise.
    WHAT A MESS!!! AHAHAH
  • vanderlogt1712
    Options
    I didn't read through all the posts, so I don't know if someone already said this, but its pretty common to see a pretty large loss for the first and even second weeks, as you change your lifestyle. I am not saying drastically cutting your calories, I'm just saying that even if you're eating the required calories to lose one pound per week, you may loose more.

That being said, I completely agree with everyone who posted above. Be patient. If you record everything and follow the guidlines MFP has said up, you will lose.

And, you're going to need to ease up on the drinking. :/
  • 13ftw67
    13ftw67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Expectations are just resentments in training. Get realistic about what you want to achieve. Listen to all these smart successful women on MFP. Drinking heavily is a tell tale sign of future problems down the road with health, life or legal issues. set a SMART Goal.

Specific
    Measurable
    Attainable
    Realistic
    Timely

If you use the SMART method you will succeed. Remember the journey to a thousand miles begins with a single step and usually a whole lot of *****in.
  • blindcode
    Options
    I'm the same way, I'm very impatient! I started by reducing my calories. I work out 60 min. a day six days a week and weigh myself after every workout. I log everything, even how I feel that day. When logging my weight I only log my lost weight. If I drank beer or alcohol the night before I know my body is going to hold on to the weight and I just keep with my exercise and eating only fresh foods - no preservatives, breads, dairy (except for eggs in the morning) or starches. Now once I lose all my weight, I will start to slowly eat these things again, but I look at my weight loss as training for the big marathon - no bad stuff until its over. HTH
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    OP only posted the one time in this thread.

Wonder if she is even reading any of it.
  • Chica_de_Aqua
    Options
    The fastest way to see results is to REALLY stick to the calories allotted every day. Keep your carbs low -- lots of lean protein and veggies. The other HUGE trick is NOT to use up the "bonus" calories earned working out. I found when I used them up, I wasn't losing weight. If you burn 400 calories running, make sure you only add an addition 150. Sucks, but it works much faster that way.

I have ZERO patience, too -- so don't worry about that. The less patient you are, the more committed you should be to the plan!

GOOD LUCK!!
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Time zone differences?
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am 47. If I could go back and speak to my 22 year old self, boy would I give her a talking to.
    I would tell her how eating just a few extra calories a day, combined with too much alcohol, and not enough exercise, was going to make her fat, ugly, and miserable. I would tell her that the longer she keeps up this lifestyle the harder it will be to fix the damage. I would ask her if she wants feel like a 50 year old by 30, or if she wants to feel like a 30 year old at 50. Bugger the fast results, you have the opportunity to choose how you want to look and feel for the rest of your life. I wish I could go back and make those choices again. I can't, but you can.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Well to be perfectly honest if you're already impatient then you wont stick at it. People do this because they are changing (and in some case saving) their lives. Seeing results is a nice bonus along the way but its not the goal here.

You will have bad weeks, you will have weeks where the scales do strange things etc. If you're the kind of person that constantly needs positive reinforcement then its likely you'll quit.

Sorry to bring you the truth but there it is! at least if you're armed with this you could look at changing your perception first and have a chance.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Time zone differences?

Reading other posts of hers, it sounds like she's from Central America so the time zone shouldn't be an issue.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't start if you are not ready!

I have to agree with this. If you're not ready to change/at least modify your lifestyle, you'll just end up frustrated and disappointed.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    hey all. i just started this diet plan yesterday (it was a great day, btw).
    and i know this is going to be a long journey. i live a sedentary lifestyle, i'm a heavy drinker, etc. i know i'm going to have to deeply change my lifestyle to see real results, and to maintain them.
    buttttt i'm also 22 years old and i'm pretty impulsive and i KNOW if i don't see some kind of quick result, i'm that much more likely to just give up.
    so, anybody have any tips that will help me see a real difference (and thus motivate me to try harder) when i get on the scale at the end of this week & the next week??

thanks guys :)

Normally I would tell you that you are insane, but you stated everything there yourself.

Its great you want to make a change in your life but you might want to rethink your perspective. Long term versus short term. Whats realistic? The only change you will see tomorrow is DOMS or water weight gain/loss.

So my tips to you are:

1. Think long term
    2. Keep eating/drinking what you enjoy. MODERATION
    3. Screw the scale. Its a liar
    4. If you decide to incorporate exercise into your lifestyle always go H.A.M.
    5. Take pics every couple of weeks. usually after 30, 60, and 90 days is when you will see changes. not tomorrow, not next week. stop believing it will happen that quickly.