Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    This is amazing! Congrats!! :happy:
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It just goes to show. Really well done. I now know that at 53 I have no excuses. Thank you for inspiring me today!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Congrats!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All I can say is "WOW!" great work!
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Nice to see someone even older tham me in the gym! (66)
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I am approaching that big 60 and wanted to start heavy lifting...guess I have no more excuses!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! Congrats on all of your hard work to reach your goals!!!!
  • KatieLou1022
    KatieLou1022 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for your responses. I'm stunned! I never expected to have so many of you make comments. I am very proud of my progress and I appreciate the acknowledgement. To fill in some of the blanks ...

I began on my own and then found MFP ... followed their calorie suggestions and started logging. I worked with a friend who is a trainer for few months. Unfortunately, I didn't feel that I was getting the most out of those sessions ... so I changed to a young 25 year old male. He pushed me a lot further and harder ... but again there were my expectations to deal with. I had become interested in lifting heavy but could only use the gym when I had a session with him. I felt like that was holding me back. After checking out several gyms in the area, I joined Lifetime Fitness. I put my lifting program together by myself ... began eating TDEE-20% ... began taking a couple of supplements along with a multivitamin and a protein complex. I'm usually in the gym doing my lifting five days a week. I have a list of lifts that I follow with each visit ... alternating between upper body, lower body, and once a week total body. There are plenty of examples on youtube as to how each lift is done properly. There is no reason to walk into the gym and not know how to use the equipment to your advantage. Since I work full time, my work outs are generally in the evenings ... after 8pm when it is less crowded. For my cardio, I run sprints on the upper garage level of the complex where I live. It is about a 10-12 degree incline and about 35-40 yards long. I do this for about a half hour two or three times a week. I began all of this with kettlebells, which unfortunately has taken a back seat to everything else. Kettlebell exercising is a terrific way to get started and a great total body, including cardio, workout. Once you realize that you can do it, there is no end to what you can accomplish. I've been thinking about entering the powerlifting competition next year. I'm pretty sure that I can make the squat and deadlift weights without a problem because my legs are so strong. But I must give more attention to the bench press to build on that strength. Anyway, that is one of the goals that I am looking at for year 68. It is great to be alive!
  • KatieLou1022
    Options
    You look great! :drinker:

(and I love your tights and shoes in the first pic!)

Thanks ... I was on my way to a Roaring 20's party.
  • KatieLou1022
    Options
    Currently I'm training a 74 year old female with a bad knee and shoulder. In only a week, she already has increased poundage on a couple of exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That is really terrific. I admire anyone who doesn't let excuses hold them back, whether it be age or the ravages of age. Please tell her I send my best to her.
  • ChiJenn
    ChiJenn Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! Great work. I'm 42 and still intimidated to go to the weight room with the boys.
  • KatieLou1022
    Options
    The first photo is your "heavy" one? I think you look great, and the dress is beautiful.

Thank you ... I made the dress for a Roaring 20's party because I couldn't find anything that fit! I don't recall ever seeing photos of fat flappers until I saw that one! Very motivating! No this picture is not my heaviest one. That was back in 2008 when I was in the 225lb range and had really no motivation to do anything about it. We all have the capability to do a "number" on ourselves with our negative thinking. I had to relearn that I am the only one who can make the changes that I wanted. No one forces food in my mouth but me. No one forces me to sit in front of the TV but me. No one forces me to eat healthy but me. No one forces me to exercise but me. No one can reach my goals but me. There is no easy way to do it. It takes hard work ... a lot of effort ... and great determination. Each time some reason tries to creep into my mind that sounds like a good reason to avoid working out or eating right, I remind myself what my goals are and what I have to do to reach them. We can all be our own worst enemies!
  • KatieLou1022
    Options
    I'm 53 and you just confirmed that I can keep up the lifting for many years to come. I want to be an 80 year old bada$$ grandma some day.

I'm gonna be a 98 year old bad *kitten* grandma someday!
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring!! Thanks for sharing.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You have inspired this 51 year old. You rock!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    great job!!
  • oldladybug
    oldladybug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You just killed my last excuse to not workout.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    sweet
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Absolutely beautiful :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!