Cabbage-beyond soup and slaw

Options
sandyfeet10
sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
Cabbage is so cheap! What are some ways to cook with cabbage that aren't slaw or soup?

Replies

• MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage? Unstuffed cabbage ( basically, the stuffing mixture is shaped into meatballs, the cabbage is shredded and cooked with the meatballs in the tomato I soup)? Braised cabbage? I usually make a non-mayonnaise slaw
  • duckie611
    duckie611 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Shredded, cooked down, and then sauteed with soy sauce. Its like the inside of an egg roll.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    steam it and it's pretty good, actually a little sweet. Just core it, the bitterness is in the core....
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Okonomiyaki ^^. Japanese pancake <3.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    As having grandparents from Lithuania and Slovakia, let me count the ways ... ^_^

1) Stuffed cabbage rolls
    2) Pirohi (perogi) stuffed with cabbage
    3) Lazy man perogi casserole
    4) A pancake
    5) Czechoslovakian braised cabbage -- served over steamed rice with a topping of cottage cheese.
    6) Split peas and sauteed cabbage
    6) Cabbage and potatoes
    7) Cabbage and rutabagas (swede)
    8) Sauteed cabbage, onions, and bacon
    9) Stuffed bread with cabbage ... image a calzone stuffed with sauteed cabbage, mushrooms, onions, and bacon.
    10) Sauteed cabbage and egg noodles.
    11) Sauteed cabbage and tomatoes.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    this list made me realize it may be time to load up on cabbage....everybody ought to bump this list....
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    this list made me realize it may be time to load up on cabbage....everybody ought to bump this list....

agree !
  • watermlnlady
    watermlnlady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cabbage casserole ... it's an old Weight Watchers recipe. Is a lot like lasagna, but no pasta. Yum.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Kapusta Haluska. Half a head of cabbage sautéed with a half of a medium onion both roughly chopped into a sauté pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Cover and cook on medium low until the cabbage is soft. Take the cover off and turn to medium and cook until cabbage is brown and caramalized. Toss with cooked wide egg noodles and a few strips of cooked bacon (chopped). Salt and pepper to taste....freaking AMAZING!
  • auntiecorri
    Options
    German style sweet and sour red cabbage
    Chinese style cabbage salad
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My new love is cabbage stir fry...whatever veggies you like sautéed with olive oil then hit it with salt and pepper. Nummo
  • fcevallos
    fcevallos Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    quarter a head of cabbage and wrap in foil with things such as crushed garlic clove, butter/olive oil, bacon (depending on your caloric needs), then cook on outdoor grill. YUMMY.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    This recipe is super easy and really yummy: http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/5+Spices*2C+50+Dishes/a_simple_cabbage_stir-fry

I also make all kinds of variations of "slaw"

shredded cabbage with red wine vinegar, sliced jalepenos and olive oil
    shredded cabbage, carrots, bell peppers with a soy-rice vinegar-sesame oil-honey-ginger vinaigrette (add cilantro and chopped peanuts too)

Add it to an asian inspired chicken soup (add ginger, chilis, lime, and soy sauce to your chicken broth. Super yummy. Switch the egg noodles for rice noodles. If you have lemongrass or lime leaves these are good additions). Add the shredded cabbage 2 minutes before serving.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    As having grandparents from Lithuania and Slovakia, let me count the ways ... ^_^

1) Stuffed cabbage rolls
    2) Pirohi (perogi) stuffed with cabbage
    3) Lazy man perogi casserole
    4) A pancake
    5) Czechoslovakian braised cabbage -- served over steamed rice with a topping of cottage cheese.
    6) Split peas and sauteed cabbage
    6) Cabbage and potatoes
    7) Cabbage and rutabagas (swede)
    8) Sauteed cabbage, onions, and bacon
    9) Stuffed bread with cabbage ... image a calzone stuffed with sauteed cabbage, mushrooms, onions, and bacon.
    10) Sauteed cabbage and egg noodles.
    11) Sauteed cabbage and tomatoes.

How dare you post this list without one single recipe! They all sound delicious!
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage rolls, but not the prep.....I put all the ingredients in a one pot stew kind of deal. Shredded steamed cabbage, diced tomatoes, onions, browned ground pork and rice. I love making up a huge pot and freezing lunch portions for rainy days :) I'm definitely going to have to try some of the previous posts too!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sauteed with onions and caraway and layer it on a plate under sausage or pierogies. Stir fry as you would bok choi. And then one of my favorite things to do with red cabbage though I don't think there's any reason you couldn't do it with green. My recipe at http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/other-main-course/cornbread-waffles-sweetnsour-red-cabbage-pork.html
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • nikinee
    Options
    Bump