HELP!!!... need friends advice.. ANYTHING!!!

Options
Hello people!!! I am currently at Fort Knox Ky. I have 2 kids, a newborn and a 4 year old, my husband just deployed, and I have a 40 hr FT job. I was previously on the weightloss kick until I got pregnant unfortunately I gained 60lbs. which is triple the weight I had already lost..  all my hard work now Im trying to get back into it but now I have no husband(deployed), and an extra child, anyone have any advice, pointers, anything to help keep me sane? Best workouts I can do from home with good results, any food recommendations, as far weightloss products or, anything to keep me energized…. PLEASE HELP I AM DESPERATE, I know there are people out there that have had similar situations!! I need to lose weight for health reasons as well just feeling good about myself!

Replies

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I definitely recommend searching pinterest for good at home work outs. I found this one http://pinterest.com/pin/195132596326992097/ and i tried it and it kicked my butt the first time, literally!! You can find all sorts of great ideas there for meal and food ingredient substitutions as well. Good luck! I'm sure you can lose the extra weight!
  • SynapticFyre
    Options
    If you can afford a treadmill and some free weights/kettle bells, there is definitely workouts from home you can do.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you are in base housing, I bet there are many others in exactly your situation right there with you -- spouse deployed, toddlers in tow, needing to lose weight. A friend of mine is a chaplain so I've been learning about the chaplain's role. If you can't find where spouses in your situation are gathering, contact the chaplain and I bet she/he will know who to call.
  • psolliday
    Options
    Hi,
    I have never written on MFP before but I understand where you are. So most important, you have a newborn so you have to make good food choices for you and the baby. I would start with increasing your water intake. Depending on where you are you should double if not triple it. Then if you have any caffeinated beverages you need to add just as much water for every beverage. I would have more lean meats and green produce and a reasonable amount of complex carbohydrates. Stay away from processed foods. I know this is a lot of info but start there. I would not do any Fat loss products because if you are nursing you need to maintain unaltered body chemistry. Does that help?
  • harleylady2012
    Options
    How about Leslie Sansone - Walk Away the Lbs, no equipment needed. Lots of fruits and veggies, especially if you are nursing, lean meats - the usual.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have never written on MFP before but I understand where you are. So most important, you have a newborn so you have to make good food choices for you and the baby. I would start with increasing your water intake. Depending on where you are you should double if not triple it. Then if you have any caffeinated beverages you need to add just as much water for every beverage. I would have more lean meats and green produce and a reasonable amount of complex carbohydrates. Stay away from processed foods. I know this is a lot of info but start there. I would not do any Fat loss products because if you are nursing you need to maintain unaltered body chemistry. Does that help?

Why?
  • gera368
    gera368 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ya, start with the water intake and make good decisions for the rest of the day.
    many vegetables and fruit. (No more than 1 banana a week) . It will definitely bring you where you want to go.
    You can add me a s a friend if you want and I will encourage you :-)
  • Dch2272
    Dch2272 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Having been in your exact situation some years back, I would suggest trying to get together with others in your situation. You are going to need the physical and emotional support of those that understand what you are dealing with. I know there are stroller workouts that you can do which will involve your children. Not to mention that walking is a great exercise. I wish you the best of luck, what you are dealing with is extremely difficult, but you will get through it.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I have a 4 year old and a newborn. I work full-time and go to school as well. My husband is home with the kids during the day, but I have no help at night. I want to exercise but need to find an efficient way to do so. I'm not making excuses for not going to the gym. I'm nursing and literally do not have the time unless someone is actually suggesting I get less sleep than I already do! I plan to mostly manage my health through diet, but I can definitely squeeze in a little circuit of push-ups. squats, etc. at some point during the day! I managed my weight very well throughout my pregnancy, but I am starting to gain again and still need to work my way down. I have about 60 to lose.
  • Schlofendein
    Options
    Hey there, in the 8 years I lived on/near Fort Knox I can say that there are several spouses who are going through similar situations as you. If you go to Ireland hospital be sure to let your primary care physician know and they can enroll you in a nutrition class if you are absolutely clueless. It is pretty short and if I recall correctly its a one and done affair. But as for direct help here is the best advice I can offer.

In terms of exercise there is a couple things you can do, you can try the Couch - 5k plan to try to get into jogging. If you have a smart phone I can suggest the Nike Training Club app. It's directly catered to women and gives you these set routines that you can do anywhere.

In terms of eating, the best thing I can tell you in a nutshell is portion controls. Your veggie portion should be the size of two of your firsts. Meat the size of your open hand, and carb(breads, pastas) portions the size of one fist. Fats(cheese, dairy products) should only have a portion size of your thumb. Doing this will control your eating somewhat. Oh and the best advice I ever had was drink a bottle of water before every meal. Sometimes you're more thirsty instead of hungry.

Best of luck,
  • april1445
    Options
    30 day shred is on you tube for free, and it's a challenging, fast (25 min) workout. Newborns are time sucking little vampires, so take it easy on yourself. Do the best you can, and it will come in time
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? I did with my second - and the weight fell off.