New (Again) Vegetarian in Need of Some Ideas!

Options
I recently decided to go back to a mostly vegetarian diet. I am on a pretty strict budget & usually in a rush to get to work in the morning. Just wondering what are good vegetarian meals/snacks that are not overly expensive, and dont take a long time to make or can be made in advance? Also looking for good meat replacements for meals etc.

Replies

• laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    tofu, seitan, beans, lentils are good meat replacements.
    I personally love tofu with soy sauce and some vegetables,
    cous cous (or quinoa) with vegetables,
    lentils soup,
    aubergines with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil,
    palm hearts with avocado and pineapple,
    these are the foods I eat the most and they are pretty cheap (except palm hearts which are a bit expensive..)
    Hope this will help you :)
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is something I loooove to eat, you could just leave out the egg and it would still be delicious!
    http://www.idowhatiwantthor.com/2013/04/breakfast-for-dinner.html

Also, this is something I often make for a quick dinner: http://www.idowhatiwantthor.com/2013/05/asian-noodle-bowl.html

If you're on a strict budget, I'd recommend going to Costco for produce. Their produce is very high quality and always at an excellent price! I'm usually just feeding myself and I have no troubles getting through Costco-sized quantities of produce!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Breast milk.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Breast milk.

I gave that up long ago, lol.
  • cadaverousbones
    Options
    This is something I loooove to eat, you could just leave out the egg and it would still be delicious!
    http://www.idowhatiwantthor.com/2013/04/breakfast-for-dinner.html

Also, this is something I often make for a quick dinner: http://www.idowhatiwantthor.com/2013/05/asian-noodle-bowl.html

If you're on a strict budget, I'd recommend going to Costco for produce. Their produce is very high quality and always at an excellent price! I'm usually just feeding myself and I have no troubles getting through Costco-sized quantities of produce!

I will have to see if my mom will take me to Costco because I don't have a membership.

Thanks for the ideas. I've never cooked lentils.. not sure how to do that? What do they taste like?
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Presteamed couscous (1 min in hot water), can of kidney beans. Fills you completely, is delicious, and hardly costs anything :) Can of beans is .50€ and bag of presteamed couscous about the same (over here, dunno at your location) :-)
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My staple this week is a hummus sandwich on whole grain bread. I change up the types of lettuce, sprouts, cucumbers, or any other topping. Sometimes I'll add a side salad or fruit.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My favorite is refried beans on toast with cheese. Although there isn't a ton of veggies in that.
    it may take a while for your body to get used to beans... your co-workers may not love you in the transition period
  • cadaverousbones
    Options
    I also cant eat a ton of gluten (not allergic but it makes me feel sick if I have it a lot) So as much as I love bread I need to start cutting that out a bit. I am going to need to get more tofu and veggies, I think make up some stir fries.. maybe soups. And I love hummus!! I need to get some tahini sauce so that I can try making my own :)

These are all pretty good snack ideas or lunch. Anyone have any great dinner ideas? :)
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oven to 400, toss chopped brussel sprouts with chickpeas, 1 tsbp olive oil, paprika, garlic or garlic powder, fresh squeezed lemon juice. cook about 20 min or until your Brussels are how you like them (I like em a little less done and more crispy) then with an egg on top, CHEAPS!!

Curried red lentils and butternut squash soup: cook lentils according to package directions (sort of similar to making rice). Meanwhile, roast butternut squash in oven OR cook in water. Saute yellow onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Add red curry paste until fragrant (2-3 minutes). Stir in lentils and butternut squash and cover with a mix of coconut milk (canned is cheap and yummy!) and vegetable broth. Put in blender if you like smooth soups, blend half if you like some texture!

Toast a gluten free wrap or tortilla, top with black beans, avocado, sautéed pepper and onions, and eat like a tostada!

mix cooked corn kernels with edamame, black beans, red onions, top with dressing of cilantro, oil, honey, lime

quinoa has a lot of protein, and if you "search" the main forums you will find some AMAZING quinoa recipes :)

Slice eggplant and coat with egg whites, dip into parmesan cheese, and broil, flipping halfway through so both sides get golden. Top with tomatoes, artichokes, olives, maybe some tomato sauce! YUM!

:) I'm kind of into food....
  • cadaverousbones
    Options
    Oven to 400, toss chopped brussel sprouts with chickpeas, 1 tsbp olive oil, paprika, garlic or garlic powder, fresh squeezed lemon juice. cook about 20 min or until your Brussels are how you like them (I like em a little less done and more crispy) then with an egg on top, CHEAPS!!

Curried red lentils and butternut squash soup: cook lentils according to package directions (sort of similar to making rice). Meanwhile, roast butternut squash in oven OR cook in water. Saute yellow onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Add red curry paste until fragrant (2-3 minutes). Stir in lentils and butternut squash and cover with a mix of coconut milk (canned is cheap and yummy!) and vegetable broth. Put in blender if you like smooth soups, blend half if you like some texture!

Toast a gluten free wrap or tortilla, top with black beans, avocado, sautéed pepper and onions, and eat like a tostada!

mix cooked corn kernels with edamame, black beans, red onions, top with dressing of cilantro, oil, honey, lime

quinoa has a lot of protein, and if you "search" the main forums you will find some AMAZING quinoa recipes :)

Slice eggplant and coat with egg whites, dip into parmesan cheese, and broil, flipping halfway through so both sides get golden. Top with tomatoes, artichokes, olives, maybe some tomato sauce! YUM!

:) I'm kind of into food....

Oh thank you so much, that all sounds really good! Stupid question but.... where in the grocery store do I find lentils and quinoa? LOL
  • rachface1234
    Options
    there are no stupid questions my friend! quinoa is often by the rice and couscous and other grains, somewhere on an aisle. Lentils are usually found in a bag by the other dried beans, look around the Mexican food or rice aisle as well. If in doubt don't be shy to make friends with your grocery store employees, I cook a lot and often have bizarre foods im looking for and its easier to just ask! :wink:
  • cadaverousbones
    Options
    Oh thanks! So lentils are beans? LOL.. I will look next time I go grocery shopping!
  • rachface1234
    Options
    lentils are legumes, same family as beans :) they are more starchy with a little less protein, sometimes I use them in place of rice for a healthier more complex carbohydrate source. Good luck friend!
  • raggleraccoon
    Options
    Always have some houmous about! Good as a snack with so many things -carrot sticks, other veggie sticks, crackers, in a sandwich, with salads etc etc etc(& it's cheap too.)