Which Do You Do First - Cardio or Weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    weights
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I know it's probably better to lift weights first, but I want to get my cardio over with, so I usually it first.
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've always done my cardio first, but after reading this thread I think I'll try weights first this week and see what happens.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do cardio and weight training on the same day then it's best to do the weight training first. This is because form and technique are very important when it comes to weight lifting. If you just finished 45 minutes of cardio on the treadmill (or bike, or elliptical whichever) and your legs are wobbly and you're already tired, then you go and try to perform some squats your form won't be as good as it would be if you were fresh. This can lead to injury as well as reduce the effectiveness of the exercise if you're cheating to finish your reps (plus you probably won't be able to handle as much weight if you're already tired).

I don't usually do this on the same day, but you made an excellent point I will keep in mind in case I do both on the same day. Thank you.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Neither, I do my cardio and lifting on different days.
    I lift 5 days a week and do cardio training for days a week... Now what??
    I am training for a half marathon, still find time shift weight lifting and my cardio, and work a 2 on/ 2 off military schedule....now what??

ETA: You know...since this is turning into a my horse is bigger than your horse debate.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    a 5-10 minute warm up, weights then more cardio after.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I always warm up with 10-15 minutes of cardio everyday and cool down with 10 minutes after I've finished lifting. This is about as much cardio that I do on a day to day basis.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do weights first, then steady state cardio, as I don't have the energy for HIIT after a weight training.