Insanity + diet = why im not losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It's normal not to lose weight in the beginning of Insanity and measurements are a better way to gauge your progress at first. I didn't lose much weight until about the second month but I was dropping inches. I just started my second (technically third but didn't finish the first time) round of Insanity. Last time I figured my BMR to be 1300 (I'm only 5'3" though), kept track of my exercise calories burned with a heart rate monitor and ate about half of my exercise calories back. If I was hungry, I ate more than half. I ended up losing more than my goal.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    No. You can't build muscle on a deficit.
    That's not true. A newbie absolutely can gain muscle while losing weight by maintaining proper protein intake and lifting weights. It takes at least 1, most likely 2, years of weight training before you cannot make muscle gains on a calorie deficit because up until that point your rate of synthesis will be greater than your rate of loss (this is assuming a gradual weightloss plan of no more than TDEE-500). You also must be at sub 10% bodyfat for a man or sub 15% bodyfat for a woman for that to happen because with anything more than that, your body will use calories from stored fat as energy to synthesize new muscle from the protein you are eating.
    While a newbie can build a little muscle from being untrained, it AIN'T gonna last a year or two while in calorie deficit. With the other exceptions of a returning athlete after a long lay off and an obese person, the average person trying to put on muscle would need a calorie surplus. Gaining muscle MEANS adding mass which means adding weight. You don't add weight on a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Gaining muscle is not the same as gaining net mass or gaining weight. You changed the premises. You cannot gain net mass on a deficit. You can gain lbm while losing fat on a deficit (which will still be a net weight LOSS) until excess fat runs out or until you've trained long enough for lbm growth to slow, the latter takes 1-2 years of proper weight training.
  • pavrg
    Options
    Put another way, you are contending that someone who loses weight via diet alone will look the same as someone who diets and exercises because you cannot build any muscle while losing weight. That is false from empirical observations.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Isn't Insanity one of the programs that comes with a nutrition guide? Why would you use only one half of such an intensive program (exercise) and completely ignore the other half (nutrition)?
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't know your stats but I completed Insanity 2.5 times and know that 1300 cal won't be enough for most people.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough if you are doing insanity. You should be eating at least 1800 cals a day. I would suggest following the guidelines that come with insanity. I would also start taking measurements and pictures of yourself. Sometimes the scale doesn't move but you are losing inches.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You are not eating nearly enough if you are doing insanity. You should be eating at least 1800 cals a day. I would suggest following the guidelines that come with insanity. I would also start taking measurements and pictures of yourself. Sometimes the scale doesn't move but you are losing inches.

Definitely this! I've been doing it for two weeks and only lost 1/2 a pound, but lost 3 inches so far. Stick with it and up your calorie intake, you'll see the difference.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    weigh solid foods and measure liquids, otherwise you are probably eating way more than you think. other than that you are probably retaining water due to the intensity of the exercise

I would like to point out to you that the lowest suggested caloric intake while doing insanity is 1700 cals according to the program.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    You are likely not eating enough. 1300 calories with all of that activity? You are likely burning like 600 calories a day.
  • pavrg
    Options
    It's important to distinguish that OP was referring to 1300 NET calories, and insanity's recommendation is for GROSS calories.

1700 - 300 to 500 for the workout puts net caloric intake at around 1200-1300 calories. OP should not aim for 1800 NET calories because she won't lose weight.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm about complete my first month of Insanity, at the same time I changed my habits. I'm eating mainly clean (about 1300 calories/day), Im tryng cut on carbs (my guilty pleasure) and plus to Insanity I do 8 kilometres of walking (about 40 minutes).

The OP didn't say net intake. Just saying.
    It's important to distinguish that OP was referring to 1300 NET calories, and insanity's recommendation is for GROSS calories.

1700 - 300 to 500 for the workout puts net caloric intake at around 1200-1300 calories. OP should not aim for 1800 NET calories because she won't lose weight.
  • Morwen1969
    Options
    I don't know how well this will work for you, but it's worth a shot, righ? Try measuring yourself in strategic areas: bust, waist, hips. Bonus areas are neck, biceps and thighs. Trust me, you'll need these measurements anyway. When you really start losing weight, you're going to need new clothes and you'll use these measurements to determine your new sizes. Then again, even when you're putting on muscle you'll get a better idea of how much more fit you are than you might by your body weight :flowerforyou: .
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm about complete my first month of Insanity, at the same time I changed my habits. I'm eating mainly clean (about 1300 calories/day), Im tryng cut on carbs (my guilty pleasure) and plus to Insanity I do 8 kilometres of walking (about 40 minutes).

So, I dont understand why I not losing weight because I think I'm doing the right things. The only difference I see is that my belly is smaller (but have facility in this part usally) and my endurance is greater.

I'm trying change my habits and adopt a healthy lifestyle (forever) but thats its so hard! Help me :) THANK YOU SO MUCH

Might not need to lose weight then