10,000 steps sedentary?

Options
When I first started using this app I set my lifestyle as sedentary. Since then I've lost 64 pounds but I have also been walking at least 10,000 steps per day. Am I still leading a sedentary lifestyle or should I change it to lightly active?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps puts me above lightly active. I have a fitbit, mfp is set to lightly active and on days I hit 10000 steps, I get an adjustment from my fitbit. So I'd say 10,000 steps puts most people between lightly active and active.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Walking 5 miles a day is definately not sedentary lol
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Walking 5 miles a day is definately not sedentary lol

Seriously.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It puts me pretty much at lightly active when I follow Scooby's calculations. The only times I get over lightly active is if I fill in the 'very active minute' window.

It was actually quite a downer when I found out, and had to reduce my calories a little.
  • RampageJacko
    RampageJacko Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I kind of figured I wasn't sedentary anymore but it had been working and I didn't want change anything. Lately it's been pretty hard to stay under my calories and I feel like I'm starving myself. Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to me.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    For me I take over 10k steps a day, but I leave my setting on sedentary and then add the walking in as exercise. If you put your setting at lightly active, and then you walk for 60 minutes, you shouldn't enter that as exercise. Either ways it works out about the same.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Studies with pedometers and activity tend to define "Sedentary" as <5000 steps a day.

At 10,000 steps, you're probably lightly active at least.

I have my setting on sedentary, and then I log purposeful walks (ie where I am walking without stopping except for cars for more than 10 minutes). I don't log all my steps around home or office.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I average close to 10k/day, and consider it sedentary. Most of it is either from walking my dogs at the slow pace they want to move (Roommate refers to them stopping and smelling everything as checking SniffBook. ("Hey, Killer was here. They changed his dog food, and he had some pizza last night"), or getting up to get coffee and lunch at work. I normally put in over 1,000 steps before i make it to work.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps puts me above lightly active. I have a fitbit, mfp is set to lightly active and on days I hit 10000 steps, I get an adjustment from my fitbit. So I'd say 10,000 steps puts most people between lightly active and active.
    ^^^This^^^ I have a FitBit and my GOAL each week is 6,000. The days I actually jog, I sometimes manage to reach 7,000 or 8,000....
  • SabrinaLC
    SabrinaLC Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am sedentary. I have days where I get less than 2,000 steps. I've had days under 1,000.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I put lightly active. I average 10K steps but I'm pretty sedentary most of the day. I just go for walks or park in no mans land to get them in. Who would have thought such small things could make a difference?!