Cinnamon apple poptarts (dumplings?)

Options
Achrya
Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
Made my own pop-tarts this morning, though they ended up more like ugly dumpling things, but hey, I'm sure someone else could make them much more attractive.

Modified this recipe http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/01/healthy-pop-tarts/

Dough
100g white all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
21g honey
2 packets of splenda
1 tsp vanilla extract
21g plain greek yogurt
14g vegetable oil
Water

Mix flour, salt, and splenda in one boil and all the other ingredients in another. Add dry to wet and stir was slowly adding water until you've got a slightly sticky dough ball. Actual amount of water will vary. Then roll out and start cutting into squares. I got bored halfway through and just started making circles and folding them over. /shrug

Put in frig for 10 minutes.

vxa0Ipl.jpg?1

Filling

75g granny smith apple (this ended up being too much)
1/2 to 1tsp cinnamon (No, I didn't weigh the cinnamon.)
10g splenda brown sugar mix (or just real brown sugar. Whatever you have on hand)
Enough water to fill the bottom of your sauce pan.

Put in pan. Cook until apples are soft.

BL9zuPQ.jpg?1

Then take your dough back out. Place apple mixture on half of the squares, cover with the other squares, use a fork to make pretty edges/keep your filing from escaping.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

zZ595zc.jpg?1

Mine are kinda ugly, but I think you can see where some of them were pop-tart like before impatience set in. I made a quick brown sugar glaze (Brown sugar+Vanilla+Milk) and smeared it on top but the calorie count is for plain.

I made 12 of these, ate 3 along side my protein coffee.

Total: Calories: 721 Carbs: 137 Fat: 22 Protein: 12
Per Serving: Calories: 60 Carbs: 10 Fat: 2 Protein: 1

Edit: Oh! I don't have anything against real pop tarts and totally support the eating of them with milk or ice cream or coffee or whatever. I just have ten apples in my frig and something has to happen to them.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lek6z3z88M1qakx30.gif
  • Achrya
    Options

These are much prettier than mine.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lek6z3z88M1qakx30.gif

Cutest ever !
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    10/10 would eat.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Oooh I can eat cooked fruit... :D
  • Achrya
    Options

Yay!

They're actually fairly easy (Otherwise I wouldn't have made them.) and really good. And I finally found a use for some of that honey I bought a year ago for my sore throat.

Side note: Honey seems to have a really really long shelf life.
  • elizabeth616
    elizabeth616 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Yay!

They're actually fairly easy (Otherwise I wouldn't have made them.) and really good. And I finally found a use for some of that honey I bought a year ago for my sore throat.

Side note: Honey seems to have a really really long shelf life.

I saw something the other day that said honey was good indefinitely. I'm not sure how true that is, because I've seen it get grainy. *shrugs*

Either way, I'm in for cinnamon apple dumplings. :bigsmile:
  • Achrya
    Options
    Thought

These would be amazing filled with nutella, but I'm unsure of how that would bake up. I may have to find out.

End thought