Water flavoring -- what's the healthiest?

Options
Darrelkun
Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So I've been trying to consume more water every day. It's difficult drinking plain old tap water as it's just so... bland. I, like many other Americans, have become addicted to taste as we consume our beverage. And since I'm cutting out lots of other delicious flavors in my life (like chocolate, ice cream, bread, pasta, etc), I feel entitled to at least one pleasuring taste a day! And that pleasuring taste I wish for my beverages!

I've been looking around in grocery stores and have felt depressed. All of the water flavoring options (Crystal Light, Mio, and other name brands I don't know of) have tons of unnecessary chemicals in their ingredients. I feel weary purchasing any of them, but have chosen Crystal Light simply because of familiarity. But that's something I want to change -- I want my option to be the healthiest, not the most familiar.

Bob Harper mentioned in The Skinny Rules that he uses ElectroMix. Has anyone else used this before? Does it taste pretty good? I just ordered a free sample to try it -- I've never seen it on shelves before in the store.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i suggest plain ole lemon slices.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Lemon slices

Cucumber slices

Mint

All yummy , healthy options you cant go wrong with
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    The healthiest and cheapest would be to just drink water with good ole Florine, the way god made it.
  • ina_j
    ina_j Posts: 18
    Options
    Agree with ladyark and 15poundgoal. Cucumber slices and lemon slices add nice flavour to water. I have no trouble with drinking water - I have a 500ml bottle with me at work and I find that I go through around 5 bottles a day or more.

If you still don't like water with added cucumber or lemon slices try the Now Foods slender sticks. You can get them from iherb.com - http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Real-Food-Slender-Sticks-Berry-Energy-Tea-12-Sticks-4-g-Each/27478
    It's only 15 calories and you can just mix it with your water. It has a nice flavour and has lots of vitamins.
  • Darrelkun
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas so far. I'm usually not a big fan of lime or lemon flavored water, but I can try it. And cucumber too.

The healthiest and cheapest would be to just drink water with good ole Florine, the way god made it.

... What?
  • stephrivas84
    stephrivas84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have also heard orange slices are good. Have yet to try it but it sounds good.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have added so many different fruits to my water, it's ridiculous. While I love lemon (anything with lemon, really), lime is also good, so is orange. Also, adding frozen fruits can be good (raspberries yes, blueberries not so much). For me, I found I drink way more water when it is cold rather than room temp, so I try to keep mine chilly. When I am super super SICK of water, I add a teabag to make cold-brewed tea. By far, the best I've done is Tazo Passion Tea (the kind they sell at Starbucks, but they also sell the bags in regular grocery stores). Just add a teabag to a water bottle and you are good to go. It may take a little longer to fully diffuse the tea when cold rather than hot, but it is just as good.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use limes and lemon. You could use tea, or drink coffee if you like those.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried these, but they have been on my list of things to do for some time now!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Flavored_Water

http://greatist.com/health/flavored-water-healthy-recipe
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

agreed
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I use crystal light...it might not be the healthiest but I drink 2-3 times the amount of water with it as I do without. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Hop flavored. I toss a little barley in it too.
    cheers!
  • lisab1310
    Options
    I have found that Lipton Tea and Honey is very good! It's sugar free and only 5 calories per serving and comes in a variety of flavors...My favorite is the half and half - half tea and half lemonade. Target, Walmart and Publix sells them for about $2.99 a box unless they are on sale.
  • Darrelkun
    Options
    When I am super super SICK of water, I add a teabag to make cold-brewed tea.

That sounds incredibly delicious...
    I use crystal light...it might not be the healthiest but I drink 2-3 times the amount of water with it as I do without. :)

Same, haha! That's why I use it. But I don't like all the ingredients in it, so I'm trying to find a better substitute. ^^
    cheers!

Huh! Never heard of barley in water. I'll have to give it a try sometime! (as well as adding slices of fruit; I've yet to try that.)
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I really like the Mio they are little spendy but you can get alot of glasses out of it cuz you don't need a whole lot the flavoring is pretty strong, the mango and the black cherry and the sweet tea are the best I think of those kind. Also the 4c water enhancer is good if you like green tea or sweet tea they have those options in that. Or the Individual Diet Snapple Green Tea packets are good. Or just plain lemon slices. Or if you like Vinegar a teeny bit of vinegar in water will help you lose weight too but thats gotta be an aquired taste I think.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I use true lemon or true lime true grapefruit or true orange. its the same as putting in a slice only less messy! and they taste wonderful! A box of 500 true lemon packets are 25 to 30 bucks on amazon. I use 1 pack per 32 ounces of water but you can use more if your taste buds wish it
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    cheers!

Huh! Never heard of barley in water. I'll have to give it a try sometime! (as well as adding slices of fruit; I've yet to try that.)

so...beer?
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    For me the healthiest (and most inexpensive) flavoring agents are hydrogen and oxygen. Water-flavored water... Just kidding. I know you have gotten douchey answers like that all day.

For real, I'm good with just water but once in a while I'll toss a slice of lime in it or grapefruit is another of my favorites. You can also use frozen berries as "ice" then snack on them. That's a win/win.
  • laurenevamarkie
    Options
    Lately I've been freezing lemon/cucumber/mint and strawberry/lemon juice in ice cube trays and adding that to my water. Or I just have a cup of herbal tea (with nothing extra adding in to it). I also found having a bottle of water nearby I would endlessly and mindlessly sip it. Hope that helps!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Distilled with a corn mash with some sugar and a bit of yeast for a kick
This discussion has been closed.