I'm Overweight! ! ! ! ! !

Options
Hi, I know this doesn't seem like something to be excited about, but when I look at where I started and where I am now I am ecstatic!!

I am 5' 1" in height

I started at 212 pounds, making my BMI 40.1, morbidly obese

Today, I am still 5' 1" ;-) but I weigh 159.0 making my BMI 29.9, officially overweight!!!!!!!

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Ahhh... that wasn't what I expected. Good for you! :-)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! BMI is a horrible tool; body fat % is much more accurate. I am 5'2 and will always be overweight according to BMI. I have no interest in getting down to what the BMI chart says is healthy. Great work!!
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    While I agree it isn't a great stand alone tool, I too have been waiting on this as just another indication of moving in the right direction. I am at just about 30.4 right now and I am waiting for the day when the WII no longer says 'That's Obese!'. Take that WII ! I am about 2 weeks away from it I think. Great work on getting past that milestone!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, it is one indication that things are going the right way and it makes me happy to be here at this point!!

Captmiddy, you will be there soon!! Then we can both be happy dancing!! Lol, love your Wii attitude!!!
  • 1longroad
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! BMI is a horrible tool; body fat % is much more accurate. I am 5'2 and will always be overweight according to BMI. I have no interest in getting down to what the BMI chart says is healthy. Great work!!

I agree that it is not the end all to what is healthy as muscle is heavier than fat, but it has helped me in setting my goal weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I agree BMI is not the best tool, but not being obese anymore is still a huge step.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Congrats :) Please post again when you finally pass the 'overweight' mark into the 'normal' range :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being just overweight! I can't wait for that day. :)
  • mikesgirl71
    mikesgirl71 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Congrats!! I was SO happy the day I became overweight :)
  • 1longroad
    Options
    Thank you all!!! It is motivating me again!!!

Hexahedra, I will be more than happy to post when I reach a 'normal' weight, but that will be awhile!!

Mikesgirl, thank you so much!!

Sabina, it's coming!!!!! I thought I would never get here!! You are doing fantastic!!!
  • 1longroad
    Options
    Sabina, thank you!! You are doing amazing! You will be there soon!!!

Edited as I tried to quote and hit reply. doh!
  • A3L7
    A3L7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I felt the same was the day my BMI went into the 'overweight' category. Congrats! :)
  • carolinacutee
    Options
    Awesome!! Keep up the great work!!!!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I can't wait to join you in that category!
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I passed the same milestone last week. I'm not too focused on my BMI but it felt very nice to no longer be obese.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Great job! Can't wait to get there too. :)

My goal on the other hand is solidly in the overweight BMI. :)
  • 1longroad
    Options
    Congratulations to those that have gotten there and I know the rest of you will join me!!!!

As far as goal weights, they have to be individual, based on your bone structure, body type and how you feel!!! I am 56, have been overweight or obese my entire adult life, so I am shooting for 130, which is on the higher end of 'normal', but will be a weight I think I can maintain. Will I be skinny, no, not ever. Will I be much healthier and able to be more active? Yes, as I am getting there already!!!

Thanks for posting everyone, it's such a good feeling!!
  • 1longroad
    Options
    Congratulations! I can't wait to join you in that category!

You are doing SO fantastic!! You look radiant and I have a strong feeling you will be there very soon!!!
  • maryp1024
    maryp1024 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sunny!! You are where I am now! WHOO HOO. And it does feel good. C'mon down to Louisiana I'll let you borrow my 10's. :) I'm 155, so we're not far apart and the same height! This is an awesome journey you are on! I'm trying to get to 145. If I do that I'll be happy! Keep it going girl. Thanks for your support as well! BIG HUG!!:wink:
  • 1longroad
    Options
    Hi Mary, you are doing so awesome and inspire me EVERY day!! Sorry it took me so long to respons, as I worked the past four nights. :yawn: