How Do You Keep From Comparing Yourself?

Options
How do you guys keep from comparing yourself to others? When I compare myself to others it makes me really sad :( How do you guys overcome that?

Replies

• corinnelapolt
    Options
    I totally relate. Work on myself. Stay off of social media that encourages that. Fill my life with people, places and things that make me feel good about who and where I am. It takes conscious effort but if I work at it, it works! Feel free to send a friend request! :)
  • Salor007
    Salor007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We can't compare ourselves with anyone. We are all very different, both as individuals and body type/genetic make up. Sure we can wish to have accomplished more, or more quickly, but we can only really monitor ourselves... I've lost 40lbs, I don't feel like its a huge achievement because it is only a small amount I need to loose.. But when I lift a case that weighs the same amount of weight I have lost, I realize it IS a big thing. What ever you have to do to motivate yourself will help you to better realize your uniqueness. You are one, we are a community. You're moving in the right direction when you are among others that want nothing more than to help each other. Just stay positive and shine!
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Try focusing on your positives instead of trying to compare yourself to others. You are a beautiful girl and need to focus on being the best that you can be. There is nothing wrong with trying to improve but trying to be or look like someone else is not a good way to go.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this earlier today, actually. Here's what I do when I get into that "OMG SHE'S SO FIT" mode:

1) Pull out my progress photos and compare myself to ME. Do I look like that totally shredded chick who has been working out like crazy for years? Nope. But I look a LOT better than I used to.
    2) If I must compare, I switch from being jealous to being inspired. I just have to remember that I, too, will get to that point someday.
    3) Go for a nice hard workout. It does wonders for my self confidence.

Good luck. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    I think, for women especially, "comparison" is socially-ingrained from a very young age.

So, it really will take PLENTY of MENTAL PRACTICE to move through the "comparison" phase into the "focus on me" phase. Like most things, it takes practice.

Try "fake-it-until-you-make-it". Or, try meditation....both of these things help me move the focus back to my own goals when I'm struggling through comparing myself to others!
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Honestly there are very few woman that are perfect in every way inside and out. I think you need to look deeper. All pictures in mags are edited so you can knock those women out!
    The amazing thing in life is there is only one of you in the whole world and will never be another. Be the best you can be inside and out and remember beauty does fade in time its not the most important thing in the world or to base your happiness or any another emotional feeling on.
    Edit:
    Just wanted to say you are beautiful and have amazing eyes.
  • BaconSlanger
    BaconSlanger Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Everyone has such great advice! I love it!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    How do you guys keep from comparing yourself to others? When I compare myself to others it makes me really sad :( How do you guys overcome that?

Tough one. The media in the world continues to blitz us with conditional self-worth - i.e., unless you look like this, have this item, do these things, you are nothing. Then we walk around seeing those people who do look like that, have those things, and do the things everyone is talking about, and, of course, we feel like nothing.

But you are not nothing. You are no worse or better as you are. You are the AMAZING you, that you should be. A great way to improve your image of your self-worth is to volunteer, or help others when you can. Nothing is better for your soul.

All the best to you my BEAUTIFUL, STRONG, THOUGHTFUL lady!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It's hard. Instead of comparing myself to others, I try to compare myself to how I used to be.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have no answer to this...I think we all have this issue, more so for women, but I have found that surrounding yourself with ugly friends does wonders...LOL...just kidding!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I have no answer to this...I think we all have this issue, more so for women, but I have found that surrounding yourself with ugly friends does wonders...LOL...just kidding!
    LOL!!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options

Hilarious.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here already, and yes, it can be tough. I'll add that I sometimes treat it like window shopping. "Oh, I'd like to have those legs... the shoulders, not so much... oh, I wonder what it took to get arms like that, maybe I could get closer by adding chins to my routine... wow, nice hair, but I like how easy mine is to put up..." It seems to put you in a position of choosing what you would like for yourself, instead of envying what you don't have. Sounds weird, but it works. :smile:
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I know it is difficult, especially for women but for me I compare myself to myself a month ago. The progress I make in dropping a shirt size or a pants size is a good motivator for me. Compared to some I have made little progress but when I look at me I have gone from a shirt size 4XL to XL or in some cases Large and from a waist measurement of 56 to wearing pants waist size 36 in 5 months.

I am happy for others when they improve and express that to them and post those little baby steps of progress as they come and people express their pleasure in seeing my progress. That definitely helps me.

In real life, I told no one I was even dieting or anything else and had lost 55 lbs. before a single person even noticed.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I generally don’t compare myself to others. I may however see someone whom I admire and I try to think of ways to emulate the qualities about them that I find appealing. I may even voice my admiration for them and ask them how they accomplish such a quality. The example I can think of is people who have grown up in poverty and acquired a PhD.

I don’t buy into the modern media beauty myth, so most of what society considers desirable physical attribute isn’t really relevant to my existence. I’d guess about 90% of all the comparison fodder is spawned from the beauty myth, so by eliminating it from my life, I have eliminated most of the reason for comparison.

I also revisit my moral compass frequently and analyze whether or not I am being consistent to it. Values that are highly important to me (environmentalism, humanitarianism, authenticity, loyalty, etc…) don’t really have anything to do with some other person’s boob perkiness. It’s so far from my own moral compass that it’s just totally irrelevant to my life altogether. It would be silly of me to use something so extraneous as a measuring stick for my own goals.

I wasn’t always this way though. You asked HOW we overcome comparing ourselves to others. I made a choice to do so. I came to a conclusion that the mainstream society I live in is damaging and toxic to the majority of people who have been integrated or indoctrinated into it. I made the deliberate decision to disconnect from a large portion of it. I seek out knowledge and education. I started analyzing why we do the things we do and if the reason was inconsistent with my beliefs, I quit doing it. I avoid a great deal of media. I avoid a great deal of pop culture. Frankly, I avoid a great deal of people.