Breastfeeding mom calorie question

Options
Hi! I am currently breastfeeding my son, who is almost 6 months. We are now going to be starting solids, and I plan to breastfeed as long as he wants to. MFP has me set to eat 1200 cal per day, and I add in the "breastfeeding mom" from the food database. That adds 500 cals in, but most days I put it in as 0.6 servings-adding 300 cals in. I eat from 1200-1500 cals per day, usually closer to 1300. If I workout, I eat more. I know my milk supply is good, my little guy is growing well, and, lucky me, I still get engorged. Does this sound good? Should I make more of an effort to eat 1500? Any experiences from other BF moms?

Replies

• JPotvin
    JPotvin Posts: 108
    Options
    From experience, if your milk supply is steady, if you are getting enough to drink, I would do what is working for you! I could only add about 300 calories to my diet...maximum. But my boys only nursed for 3 and 4 months respectively. I say, if it's working for you, do it!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like you have really found the right balance for your body. As long as your milk supply is good, and you are getting the vitamins you and the baby need, you should be fine.

I just finished doing the same thing, and it only gets easier as they eat more solids! Good luck with everything!
  • baby_lovin_060206
    Options
    I am breastfeeding my daughter who is 1 1/2 . It sounds like you are doing a great job, if your son is growing than stick to what you are doing.
  • happykat007
    happykat007 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks Ladies!!
  • cjemtegaard
    Options
    i had no idea about the breastfeeding mom option in the food database! thank you i have been wondering that. :flowerforyou: