Daniel Fast

Options
So some of the ladies from our church group is starting a Daniel Fast on October 1 to October 10. It's a 10 day fasting and praying. I am very nervous because I have never done anything like this before.

For those days, we are not allow to eat: rice, meat, sugar, salt, salad dressing, potatoe, kidney beans, fruits, juice, soda and lots more.

All we can eat is vegetable, cooked or raw and to drink is water.

I am thinking of still taking my vitamins... but I am very scared. Will this mess up my system? Should I not exercise during this time? What's your thought on it?

Replies

• sallyLunn
    Options
    Your protein is going to tank and you are going to be in the bathroom a lot.

I see a binge coming on day 11.

On the other hand, misery loves company and it might be fun. You are certainly going to be "clean" and a little prayer never hurt anybody. (that I know of.) Try not to kill anybody on day 5.

Depending on how many veggies you can stomach, you could hit calorie goals. I would say light exercise, like walking? At least the walking will keep your mind off the things on the list you can't eat.
  • Dtrmnd1
    Dtrmnd1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    First of all a fast (though this one is corporate) should be something spiritual between you and God. If you don't feel you are ready spiritually for such a task then I'd advise not to do it. If you are apprehensive maybe talk to a leader in the group and get further guidance. And remember when doing a time of spiritual fasting and prayer the most important part of it is PRAYER ;)
  • ktyang04
    Options
    I am kind of excited and want to do it but at the same time I am so scared. I feel like this will throw my body of track and I will gain all the weight I lost back. We did alot of preparing and praying about it but now that it's around the corner, I am so nervous.
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    I would venture to guess that MOST people have never done anything like this before... but I could be wrong. I would imagine you're going to not be feeling your best, but again... I could be wrong.

One thing to remember is to try to get organic vegetables, since most vegetables nowadays have been treated with pesticides, unlike in Daniel's time.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    10 days?!! That's a long time to eat nothing but raw veggies. Unless you have a lot of experience eating a purely vegan diet, you will find it difficult to obtain enough nutrients to maintain good health. Even a daily vitamin might not be enough. I think this fast will end up giving you negative physical results. If it's really that important to you from a spiritual standpoint, then you'll do it anyway. I wouldn't recommend more than 2-3 days on this fast. On the other hand, I admit I don't believe in fasting and have never done it myself, so I have no experience here. Perhaps one of our vegan members can give you some suggestions on what to eat to stay healthy during this fast. Whatever you decide, best of luck.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I believe the Lord will give you strength to do whatever He calls you to do! I've been contemplating a Daniel fast myself, and if I do, I will be backing off heavy exercise b/c of the lack of protein. and spend the time in with God and in prayer, which is what a prayer is for. Blessings!
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could call your Doctor and run it by the doctor/nurse and see what they say, just to get a "professional" opinion. Ten days is a long time, no protein? I can't see that it will "mess up" your system and you certainly won't gain back all the weight you've lost. Why so long? Ten days is a long time. I just can't wrap my head around 10 days, it does seem a little risky, then you really need to gradually go back to eating your regular food or you may have some digestion/stomach issues. Good luck with your decision:flowerforyou:
  • dani_in_bc
    dani_in_bc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can make this very easy on yourself. Many people worldwide are vegan and basically live on this type of diet. You are still able to eat many grains and legumes so getting protien should not be an issue. Here are the foods I found as acceptable online when I googled The Daniel Fast. There are also cookbooks geared towards the fast. I hope this helps. It really isn't much different than any other cleanse and your body should feel very CLEAN after you are done just introduce "forbidden foods" back slowly. You may find your body felt better without them:

Foods to include in your diet during the Daniel Fast

All fruits. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines, watermelon

All vegetables. These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Vegetables include but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams, zucchini, veggie burgers are an option if you are not allergic to soy.

All whole grains, including but not limited to whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn.

All nuts and seeds, including but not limited to sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame. Also nut butters including peanut butter.

All legumes. These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, white beans.

All quality oils including but not limited to olive, canola, grape seed, peanut, and sesame.

Beverages: spring water, distilled water or other pure waters.

Other: tofu, soy products, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs and spices.
  • ktyang04
    Options
    Last January, we did an Esther Fast for 3 days. It was such a great experience. I felt so alive after but now for 10 days I feel so nervous. Maybe it's a test of my strength. I am tempted not to do it and I guess that is why I want to do it so bad.
  • ktyang04
    Options
    Last January, we did an Esther Fast for 3 days. It was such a great experience. I felt so alive after but now for 10 days I feel so nervous. Maybe it's a test of my strength. I am tempted not to do it and I guess that is why I want to do it so bad.
  • carlajp18
    carlajp18 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've done the Daniel fast twice with my church and like Dtrmnd1 stated, fasting is between you and God. The next 10 days should be about spending time in prayer.

With that said, I would like to share with you the physical aspects of the fast. We've done the fast twice, each time it was for 30 days. I was at the grocery store every 2-3 days picking up fresh veggies. I learned how to cook some really healthy meals and each time I gained new habits that have stayed with me. My body didn't go into shock. But I was hungry quite a bit during the first few days but eventually I adjusted. I was never cranky and never got caffeine headaches. But you also never really feel full either, I'm assuming b/c of the lack of meat, bread, cheese, etc.

The Daniel fast closely resembles eating vegan except you won't be eating any of the processed products. I've grown to love the vegetarian and vegan restaurants in my area due to the Daniel fast. It forced me to explore new places to eat out and it was actually fun.

I really encourage you to stay in prayer and not stress about the food part.
  • dani_in_bc
    Options
    And the Foods to avoid on the Daniel Fast:

All meat and animal products including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and fish.

All dairy products including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs.

All sweeteners including but not limited to sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice.

All leavened bread including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey) and baked goods.

All refined and processed food products including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives.

All deep fried foods including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, corn chips.

All solid fats including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.

Beverages including but not limited to coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol.
  • ktyang04
    Options
    And the Foods to avoid on the Daniel Fast:

All meat and animal products including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry, and fish.

All dairy products including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs.

All sweeteners including but not limited to sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses, and cane juice.

All leavened bread including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey) and baked goods.

All refined and processed food products including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour, and foods that contain artificial preservatives.

All deep fried foods including but not limited to potato chips, French fries, corn chips.

All solid fats including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.

Beverages including but not limited to coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol.

Thank you, you're wonderful.
  • ktyang04
    Options
    I've done the Daniel fast twice with my church and like Dtrmnd1 stated, fasting is between you and God. The next 10 days should be about spending time in prayer.

With that said, I would like to share with you the physical aspects of the fast. We've done the fast twice, each time it was for 30 days. I was at the grocery store every 2-3 days picking up fresh veggies. I learned how to cook some really healthy meals and each time I gained new habits that have stayed with me. My body didn't go into shock. But I was hungry quite a bit during the first few days but eventually I adjusted. I was never cranky and never got caffeine headaches. But you also never really feel full either, I'm assuming b/c of the lack of meat, bread, cheese, etc.

The Daniel fast closely resembles eating vegan except you won't be eating any of the processed products. I've grown to love the vegetarian and vegan restaurants in my area due to the Daniel fast. It forced me to explore new places to eat out and it was actually fun.

I really encourage you to stay in prayer and not stress about the food part.

Wow, 30 days. How did you feel during and after? Did you lose alot of weight? Do you feel weak and did you stop exercising?
  • mistiegayle
    mistiegayle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Our church does the Daniel fast at the first of the year, which we do 21 days..We only eat and drink things that are 100% natural. If the Lord has lead you all to do this, then he will give you the strengh and help that you will need.. It is hard the first couple of days..My husband lost 38 pounds when he done it, but the weight in'st anything compared to the spiritual and the closeness you get with God.
  • ktyang04
    Options
    Our church does the Daniel fast at the first of the year, which we do 21 days..We only eat and drink things that are 100% natural. If the Lord has lead you all to do this, then he will give you the strengh and help that you will need.. It is hard the first couple of days..My husband lost 38 pounds when he done it, but the weight in'st anything compared to the spiritual and the closeness you get with God.

OH wow. My kids keeps telling me to not do it, they said that they didn't want me to die. I'm glad you're sharing this with me. Thank you.
  • dani_in_bc
    Options
    No problem. Google Daniel Fast recipes and explore some new options. It shouldn't be scary at all. You can do it and if you keep your calories up you will be fine after and maybe even have new even healthier eating habits!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The original poster said she could only eat raw veggies. Dani in BC had a much larger list of allowable foods. If this is correct, then it's really just a vegan diet and sounds much safer than I originally thought. The addition of fruits, legumes and some grains makes a big nutritional difference. You should be alright, although I think it will be difficult if you're not used to eating this way. Lots of will power required! Good luck.
  • carlajp18
    carlajp18 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm might be going to church with mistie! It was 21 days at our church too, sorry about that!

I felt nervous before the first fast wondering if I could really do it but I never felt weak. But I also wasn't exercising. We were encouraged to go easy on the exercising but most people I knew weren't exercising during the fast. The hardest part for me during the first fast was cooking meat for my son and not eating it myself. That was torture the first week but you really do adjust to it all when you are spending time in prayer and meditation. After the fast I felt accomplished and proud of the small sacrafice I made but seeing how it brought our church together was the best part.

I didn't lose a ton of weight but I'm also 118 lbs at my biggest. But heavier people in my church dropped a lot of weight.

I really encourage you to pray about all your fears and worries. The fast is a time of prayer and unity with your church.
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    If you believe the Lord is calling to fast, by all means, do so! If you're doing it just because everyone else at church is doing it, that's the wrong motivation.

Fasting is a spiritual experience, that is intended to help you focus on prayer and communion with God. If you're obsessing about food while you're fasting, you are missing the point. I've found when I fast that when I start to think about eating, I spend that time in prayer (which doesn't mean I'm doing all the talking). I also spend more time reading the Word when I'm fasting (not taking time to cook and eat = more time to read).

It won't kill you, and it won't make you sick. Stay active while you're fasting - this isn't a retreat into the bed/couch - it's denying your physical body to spend time on your spiritual health.

I've done the Daniel fast years ago, and found it was really simple. Too simple, in my opinion, to be called a fast. I didn't feel as though I was denying my body when I could pig out on vegetables.

I fast only when I believe the Lord is leading me to do so. Sometimes it's for a day or two, but earlier this year, I felt led to fast while praying for a miracle for someone else. There was no question in my spirit - it was to be a 7 day fast, water only. This was definitely one of the most awesome weeks I've ever spent with the Lord.

At the end of day 7, I wasn't really hungry. I had to force myself to start eating again (slowly). Yes, I did lose some weight that week, but I didn't care - that wasn't the point. I had spent so much time in prayer and in the Word, that my entire focus was changed.

-praying for God's direction for you!