Need someone's best advice about this please!!!!

Options
This isnt for me. My awesome father apparently has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. He doesnt have a doctor but found all this out by luck one day after making a trip to the clinic to get his "gout" checked out!

He's 54, not overweight, used to smoke- recently quit, hes a mechanic- so not very active, he used to eat about twice a day, and would snack sometimes on chips etc.. I dont know exactly what he used to eat but I know that it was not as healthy as I am eating, but I also know it wasnt completely terrible either.

Because I have turned my diet and lifestyle around these past 6 months, I know the importance of a healthy diet and when I heard the news I immediately shared my knowledge with him and gave him guidelines to follow because I worry too much and care about his health..as far as I knew before- he was pretty healthy! I guess I was wrong

I know a certain amount about food but I am no expert! With my help he is eating healthier but I calculated that he is only getting about 1300 calories!

He is eating lots of veggies, 2 servings of fruit, handful of nuts, salmon, his lean proteins, and a good amount of fibre a day. Basically just trying to be on a healthier diet specific to his conditions. No take out, trans fats, reduced sugar and carb intake etc...

My problem is..I cant seem to think of something to fill in those extra calories that he hypothetically needs to be "healthy" .. I know that what he is eating is healthy and a big improvement, but technically he needs to be eating more correct?

I cant think of any foods that wont raise his grams of sugar, or carbohydrates during the day..because when it comes down to it there are sugar and carbs in almost everything! I really need some guidance please!!!! :/

I was thinking a cup of yogurt a day but that brings his carbs up to 146 grams and his sugar up by 7 grams!

Anyone have any ideas of foods that he can eat without going over the carb and sugar threshold?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I might have missed it, but is there a medical reason he needs to restrict carbs? Is he diabetic?
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    He got tested, and apparently he doesnt. But I researched that we shouldnt go past the 150 grams a day threshold. Also from what I know is that carbs are essential to survive but when certain ones turn into sugar it wreaks havoc on our blood vessels causing inflammation and cholesterol etc..but I wont get into that. I am no expert though, I just wanted to be careful with his carbs, to reduce any future pre diabetes thats all! If anyone knows otherwise let me know please!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    Increase his lean protein. He can eat a 6 oz serving per meal. Fish, chicken, turkey are a few great choices. Just watch the sodium depending on what you buy. Also, make sure he's getting enough heart healthy fats. Nuts, veggie oils and avacado are all extremely healthy and higher in calories because of their fat content.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    Ok sounds good..Hes eating approx 1 oz of nuts a day and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil for his salads. Also 2-3 times a week he eats salmon! I looked at boneless skinless chicken and it has ALOT of salt. It puts his salt intake through the roof..so gonna have to find another protein I guess that is lower in sodium I guess! I couldn't believe how much sodium it has!! Thanks for taking the time to post!
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    I also wonder if he will gain weight? Shifting your calories from a smaller number to a higher number is usually the case right? Or maybe not because he's changing his diet and metabolism?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    He got tested, and apparently he doesnt. But I researched that we shouldnt go past the 150 grams a day threshold. Also from what I know is that carbs are essential to survive but when certain ones turn into sugar it wreaks havoc on our blood vessels causing inflammation and cholesterol etc..but I wont get into that. I am no expert though, I just wanted to be careful with his carbs, to reduce any future pre diabetes thats all! If anyone knows otherwise let me know please!

Do some more research. Carbs don't create cholesterol. Cholesterol is made from ketones, which are created when the body burns fat and not enough carbs. Also, where did you get that completely arbitrary 150 number from? If he's healthy and active (you said he's a mechanic, which is pretty labor intensive last I checked,) he needs the carbs to keep energy up, especially if he isn't overweight. Carbs don't cause diabetes, either, being obese does.
  • Krissypantz
    Options

Do some more research. Carbs don't create cholesterol. Cholesterol is made from ketones, which are created when the body burns fat and not enough carbs. Also, where did you get that completely arbitrary 150 number from? If he's healthy and active (you said he's a mechanic, which is pretty labor intensive last I checked,) he needs the carbs to keep energy up, especially if he isn't overweight. Carbs don't cause diabetes, either, being obese does.

I got it from a source on the internet, usually I dont go buy just one source. I guess maybe its because I know that refined carbs are bad- yes.. but there are even complex carbs that turn into sugar correct? It all depends on the glycemic level, and of course how much you burn etc.. excessive amounts of sugar longterm causes diabetes..a long with a list of other things. I guess we are all taught that carbs are bad! I know white carbs are bad...but apparently a carb is a carb and it mostly turns into sugar unless you have fibre and protein with it so that it doesnt break down as fast :/
  • tigersword
    Options

I got it from a source on the internet, usually I dont go buy just one source. I guess maybe its because I know that refined carbs are bad- yes.. but there are even complex carbs that turn into sugar correct? It all depends on the glycemic level, and of course how much you burn etc.. excessive amounts of sugar causes diabetes..a long with a list of other things. I guess we are all taught that carbs are bad! I know white carbs are bad...but apparently a carb is a carb and it mostly turns into sugar unless you have fibre and protein with it so that it doesnt break down as fast :/
    Oy, you've been brainwashed it sounds. Carbs are NOT bad, even refined carbs. Sugar may cause problems for people WITH medical conditions, but it does not cause those problems. Those problems are caused by genetics in the case of Type I Diabetes, or excess fat floating in the blood stream in the case of Type II diabetes. Excess caloric consumption leads to excess fat in the blood stream, and that's calories from any source. You could, technically, gain weight and become obese from eating nothing but salmon and salad, and could eventually cause insulin resistance and diabetes if you remain inactive. Being active is actually the biggest preventor or contributor to Diabetes, as exercise and physical activity improve insulin sensitivity. Interestingly enough, alcohol also improves insulin sensitivity.

And for the record, ALL carbs turn into sugar, it's what they are. Protein and fat can be turned into sugar also, the human body can pretty much convert anything into glucose.
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    Ok well now Im more confused now than I was to begin with LOL
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    let the poor bugger get a takeaway once a week!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Well maybe more daughters need to find time to care for their parents! Hes the most generous and caring person I ever met, so to hold back information would be cruel! If he had a doctor that recommended him to a dietician I would not be interfering as much and feel a little more at ease!

but the 'information' you are giving him has led to him undereating by probably 1000 calories per day....
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    Well maybe more daughters need to find time to care for their parents! Hes the most generous and caring person I ever met, so to hold back information would be cruel! If he had a doctor that recommended him to a dietician I would not be interfering as much and feel a little more at ease!

but the 'information' you are giving him has led to him undereating by probably 1000 calories per day....

It also has led him to eat over 1000 than what he was eating before. So it cant be that bad now can it?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It also has led him to eat over 1000 than what he was eating before. So it cant be that bad now can it?

i dont know what that sentence means...
  • Krissypantz
    Options
    If I would have known this was going to be a troll site I wouldn't have posted. I will go elsewhere. Thanks for those who have made an effort to post some insight I appreciate it!
  • Krissypantz
    Options

i dont know what that sentence means...

Well than, I cant help you!
  • tigersword
    Options
    Ok well now Im more confused now than I was to begin with LOL
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

The problem is people tend to suffer from confirmation bias. They get an idea in their head, and then when they research, they tend to only pay attention to the things that agree with their original idea, and then they stop looking.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    He isn't overweight, so this is kind of nonsense. And I am all for healthy eating, but let him sort it, poor man. Give him the knowledge of what a balanced, healthy diet (with some chips, and treats/takeout included, if he wants them) is, and stop making so many rules to follow! It sounds like he's fairly willing to eat good food and he doesn't have weight to lose, so being so strict seemed unnecessary. My dad is a mechanic and he's quite fit/active from the job-it isn't a desk job, at any rate. Let him compile meals that suit his day, his hunger etc. and be conscious of his medical issues. But he doesn't need complete plans, or to be treated as a child by his daughter/sent off to work with a yoghurt in his packed lunch. It's wonderful you love him, but gosh.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I got it from a source on the internet, usually I dont go buy just one source. I guess maybe its because I know that refined carbs are bad- yes.. but there are even complex carbs that turn into sugar correct? It all depends on the glycemic level, and of course how much you burn etc.. excessive amounts of sugar causes diabetes..a long with a list of other things. I guess we are all taught that carbs are bad! I know white carbs are bad...but apparently a carb is a carb and it mostly turns into sugar unless you have fibre and protein with it so that it doesnt break down as fast :/
    Oy, you've been brainwashed it sounds. Carbs are NOT bad, even refined carbs. Sugar may cause problems for people WITH medical conditions, but it does not cause those problems. Those problems are caused by genetics in the case of Type I Diabetes, or excess fat floating in the blood stream in the case of Type II diabetes. Excess caloric consumption leads to excess fat in the blood stream, and that's calories from any source. You could, technically, gain weight and become obese from eating nothing but salmon and salad, and could eventually cause insulin resistance and diabetes if you remain inactive. Being active is actually the biggest preventor or contributor to Diabetes, as exercise and physical activity improve insulin sensitivity. Interestingly enough, alcohol also improves insulin sensitivity.

And for the record, ALL carbs turn into sugar, it's what they are. Protein and fat can be turned into sugar also, the human body can pretty much convert anything into glucose.

This is why your on my FL Tiger.... Both post are spot on in my opinion.... I once weighed 560 pounds, unable to walk, home bound for over 2 years (07-09). I lost all of my weight while eating no less than 250 grams of carbs a day (actually that amount was during the first 100 lbs. drop from there I ate no less than 300 grams a day) and am currently maintaining at 400+ grams a day.. Carbs are not the enemy and I might add I am a Type 2 diabetic diagnosed in 2009.... My A1c have averaged 5.3 over the last 2 1/2 years.... Exercise is key for regulating my diabetes, just as important as my diet but I also keep this process as simple as possible... I track calories and my macros (Carbs, Proteins, and Fats) beyond that I don't track things like sodium or sugar, etc... Kinda keep an eye on fiber from time to time but I feel my body does a good job of breaking down carbohydrates into the energy I need.... So far this approach appears to be working.... Best of Luck
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Carbs play a vital role in helping build muscle so unless he's doing a keto diet no need to restrict them though he will be getting carbs from fruits/veggies.

Why not chuck in some almonds/Chicken/Broccoli/Turkey/Oats etc.. Get him eating meals consisting of Carbs/Protein and fats.

I have on one meal 8oz Chicken,70g Broccoli,1oz Almonds and that is like 426 cals alone. So be easy to take him to around 2k cals per day.
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ok sounds good..Hes eating approx 1 oz of nuts a day and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil for his salads. Also 2-3 times a week he eats salmon! I looked at boneless skinless chicken and it has ALOT of salt. It puts his salt intake through the roof..so gonna have to find another protein I guess that is lower in sodium I guess! I couldn't believe how much sodium it has!! Thanks for taking the time to post!

you might want to check a different brand of chicken, cos chicken should not have any added salt. maybe if he went to the butchers for a couple of chicken breasts, or bought a whole chicken and roasted it without adding anything to it? Then he could keep it in the fridge and cut pieces off each day. This might be healthier than eating prepacked meats with added salt.

Also, maybe a protein shake could up his protein intake and it is something he could make in the morning and take with him. If made with one scoop of powder and 200 mls of almond milk it totals around 150 cals and 20g protein. This totally depends on what milk you use and what brand of protein but it is very filling, and you can have a few in a day. I use chocolate flavoured whey protein. It might be something to look in to. If I have to boost my protein intake i have one with a packet of plain pork or plain beef jerky. delicious and so filling