"Overnight Oats"

Options

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Hi BernadetteChurch,
    What exactly are steel cut oats? I'd assumed they were the American name for rolled oats, but that doesn't sound right now.

I use jumbo rolled oats, by the way. Can't stand the porridge oats that are just basically oat dust!

Steel cut oats are not rolled oats - as I mentioned above. Rolled oats are flattened so that the grain has been pancaked. Oats that have been 'steel cut' have been cut or sliced across the grain so the oats are cut into pieces about the same size and shape as cous cous.
    I tried my first bowl this morning and they have a different texture to porridge made with rolled oats. They're a bit chewier.
    I've only been able to find them in a health food shop in Australia.
    kind regards,

Ben

Thanks Ben! But having read a bit about the differences yesterday I think I'm going to stick with rmy rolled oats!
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds delicious! I'm adding this stuff to my grocery list and will give a try.
  • MaritimeGirl1986
    Options
    I eat 'overnight oatmeal' almost daily for breakfast. I found this site that has many different versions of 'overnight oatmeal'

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I soak my oats overnight in fruit juice - usually no-added sugar cranberry which gives a lovely pink colour. I add a sprinkle of flax or chia seeds if I have them.

In the morning, grate in a whole apple, seeds, peel, everything. Add a good blob of yoghurt, and some mixed nuts.
  • jkdarby
    jkdarby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    403d2296-4ec6-4fb4-8d2e-0200c53f8332_zps4ecd374f.jpg

I had to search for an image to compare rolled vs. steel cut oatmeal. I never knew there was a difference!
  • SuperCartman
    SuperCartman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread :D I'm such a fussy eater in the mornings that I was worried about what I would eat before going to uni. Gosh darnit, I could easily blow my daily calories to this stuff :O Out of curiosity what are these chia seeds like? No supermarkets near me do them and the only way of getting them is ordering them online so I can't try them. :/
  • HurricaneLindsay
    HurricaneLindsay Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For a variation on overnight oats, I like:
    peanut butter and raisins or choc chips for an "oatmeal cookie" type
    cranberries and slivered almonds
    frozen berries

I also love chia pudding:
    3 T whole chia seeds
    1 cup almond milk
    stevia
    1 cup frozen berries
    http://www.choosingraw.com/basic-chia-seed-pudding/
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I put one third cup steel cut oats in a mason jar with one cup of water, close the lid, and put in a slow cooker of water overnight on low. Beautiful, creamy oats in the morning. I usually add a second jar with chopped apple, cranberries, cinnamon and sweetener of choice. Such an easy, delicious breakfast to wake up to!
  • Superfantastic
    Options
    I start with 1/2 c old fashioned oats, 1/2 c skim milk, 1 T chia seeds, and usually a splash of vanilla. Then I add flavor to that.

My favorite thing to add is blueberries and lemon zest. (When I'm juicing a lemon for something I'm cooking, I just go ahead and zest it first into three containers and add the rest of the stuff - breakfast is made for the next three days and I haven't wasted that lovely zest.) I also really like blackberries with a pinch of sugar.

My husband likes his with coconut milk in place of the skim and a sliced banana (plus strawberries, ideally). I also like them with applesauce and cinnamon, raisins and cinnamon, or pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice, with some graham cracker crumbs stirred in right before eating. Yogurt is also good in them, or coconut and pineapple. Chocolate chips and a pinch of brown sugar are also good, for a less virtuous breakfast.
  • OrganicNotes
    Options
    I had no idea of the simplicity of Overnight Oats! After reading through a handful of comments, the Chocolate Chip + Shredded Coconut combination sounds too perfect. I have yet to whip up a batch of my own, but here are some flavors I really enjoy together..

Almond + Banana + Cinnamon

Blueberry + Vanilla

Coffee + Dark Chocolate Chips

Pumpkin + Nutmeg + White Chocolate

Apple + Nut Butters

Honey + Pecans

All I have to do now, is decide which flavors sounds good for tomorrow morning! Mmmm.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    definitely bump
  • kayjaycee9
    kayjaycee9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1/4 C Old Fashion Oats
    1/4 C Skim Milk (or whatever you prefer)
    1 container of Greek Yogurt (flavored is delicious also)
    1 TBS of Flaxseed or Chia Seeds
    Fruit or nuts if desired (I usually wait until the morning to add these ingredients)

:smile:
  • jwebster45206
    jwebster45206 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here's a peanut butter, banana, protein powder version. Not a low calorie meal, but it fills you up for quite a while, and it travels pretty easily.

1/2 cup rolled oats (steel cut don't get soft enough for my taste)
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1 container greek yogurt
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 Tbsp sugar-free banana pudding mix
    2 Tbsp powdered peanut butter
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
  • kathiehughes
    kathiehughes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kbugsmeemaw
    kbugsmeemaw Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joeyt1959
    joeyt1959 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    keep
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut oats are heartier, earthier and chewier than the rolled variety. I began eating them after watching an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown where he explained the nutritional difference. To be short, steel cut are less processed therefore have more fiber. Like the difference between using raw potatoes to make mashed potatoes or using instant mashed. The more processed the easier the body converts the carbs to be stored.

Alton taught me to pan roast in dry fry pan the steel cut before using them. Either are delicious depending on how you dress them. But I now prefer steel cut and only used rolled oats for cookie recipes.

Hope this helps.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi BernadetteChurch,
    What exactly are steel cut oats? I'd assumed they were the American name for rolled oats, but that doesn't sound right now.

I use jumbo rolled oats, by the way. Can't stand the porridge oats that are just basically oat dust!

Steel cut oats are not rolled oats - as I mentioned above. Rolled oats are flattened so that the grain has been pancaked. Oats that have been 'steel cut' have been cut or sliced across the grain so the oats are cut into pieces about the same size and shape as cous cous.
    I tried my first bowl this morning and they have a different texture to porridge made with rolled oats. They're a bit chewier.
    I've only been able to find them in a health food shop in Australia.
    kind regards,

Ben

Hi Ben.... you can order steel cut oats online at places like Amazon. Not sure how much they add to the price.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Here's my go to recipe:

1/2 cup of rolled oats
    1/2 cup of almond milk
    1/2 cup of greek yogurt
    sliced almonds
    dried cranberries

I think I'm going to start trying new variations with some of the suggestions from this post.