What am I doing WRONG?

Options
I joined the gym awhile back and was losing about 2 lbs a week. Well the kids got out of school for the summer three months to be exact. During those three months I did not hit the gym because I don't have babysitter for them but I did stay pretty true to my eating. I did not lose weight but gained about 2 lbs which is fine I understand no gym didn't help. well now they have restarted school I have restarted the gym. I am now on my third week of gym 5 days a week. I alternate between 30 min cardio plus strength Mon, Wed, and Friday and then the in between days are just 45 min cardio Tue, Thursday. I eat 1200 calories a day and very healthy a lot of green smoothies, fruits, veggies, lean protein at dinner, and of coarse salads. I eat back calories I lose during cardio. My goal is 1200 calories a day I burn 300 eat back 300 the day ends with 1500 calories. I drink nothing but water. On Friday and sometimes Saturdays I will drink a few beers. I am on week three and I have not seen any weight loss what am I doing wrong I don't understand what more I could be doing. It does look like muscle forming in my arms and I do see my love handles subsiding a bit but I don't see a weight difference on the scale. I am starting to get a bit discouraged because the way I workout and the way I eat you would think for sure there is no way I could not be losing at least a pound a week. Please help, thanks.....

Chrystal

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so you're losing fat (more arm definition, smaller love handles) which means you look smaller and your clothes probably fit better, but you are more bothered about a number on a machine that means nothing and noone else can see anyway?
  • TX_RattleSnake
    Options
    I am on week three

Give it time
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    so you're losing fat (more arm definition, smaller love handles) which means you look smaller and your clothes probably fit better, but you are more bothered about a number on a machine that means nothing and noone else can see anyway?

This ^^ Get off the scale and start measuring progress with a tape measure. Smaller but not lighter is a good thing because it means you are losing fat and not muscle.
  • Jenelle64
    Options
    Try not to get hung up on what the scale shows. I had the same issue when I started to workout about 5 weeks ago, my weight didn't drop and I even gained a few pounds at first, but my measurements showed progress. It wasn't until this last week that the scale showed a loss from my first weigh in.

Your not doing anything wrong! You are seeing progress with the 'love handles subsiding' and that's what really matters, not the number on the scale.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your not doing anything wrong, as long as you are eating healthy and exercising you are getting fitter and instead of a number on the scales YOU can see a difference in the mirror - is this not more important??

Also have you taken your measurements because I bet there are losses there!

Don't let the scales demotivate you - you are doing everything right :flowerforyou:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It's common to lose more/quicker in the beginning, I think.
    Be patient. Trust the method.
  • mrandisg
    mrandisg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here - you are not doing anything wrong! Don't let the number on the scale discourage you. You're doing great!
  • faithdanyell
    faithdanyell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing and put value on your health not a number fro a scale. I would suggest using a heart rate monitor so when you are doing cardio you are in weight loss zone.. Be patient...you are getting a better shape...don't buy into the media BS of being a size 0.......
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Give it time.
    Make sure you drink plenty of water
    Measure, more than weigh.
    And possibly look into eating more.

I know your aim is 2 lbs a week, but after a while, if you're eating too little (like 1,200, even though you're eating back you're calories, your body still thinks it's only getting 1,200)
    I don't know your stats, but I think it's very unlikely that that's enough.
    It's much better to aim for one lb a week, than it is to aim for two. It's easier to keep up, and easier to keep off. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

This ^^ Get off the scale and start measuring progress with a tape measure. Smaller but not lighter is a good thing because it means you are losing fat and not muscle.

Yep, this.

That and since you've been out of the gym 3 months, the body will retain water (can be quite a bit) for muscle repair after starting/re-starting/adjusting a workout routine it is not used to.
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You are not doing anything wrong. But here are a few tips:
    1. Take a full body picture of yourself
    2. Take your measurements
    3. See how your clothes fit

Don't be a slave to the scale, do you feel better? Can you do more? Do you have more energy? Do you look better? If you can answer yes to these four questions just keep it going and you will ultimately see the results you want on the scale.
  • jknightoz
    jknightoz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ditto to everything that has been said. There comes a time in evreyone's journey where the scale stops reflecting a measurment of health. Get your body fat measured (most gyms offer this service free of charge). Keep track of all the other measurements (neck, waist, hip, thigh). Some tips; change up your routine. I know you said you do different stuff every day, but if, for example, every time you work out arms you do 3 sets of 10 reps of curls with 15 pound dumbells, your body gets used to it. You need to keep it changing. Change your intensity in the middle of routines. Don't just run for 45 min on a treadmill at 1% incline. Use one of the programs that changes the incline up and down throughout the routine. You need to work in a high intensity component in everything you do. That keeps your body guessing and keeps your metabolism up.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Most people lose quicker when they start. Even after taking some time off, it's not necessarily starting over and can be more difficult. I lost a big chunk of mine, took some time off just to give myself a break and worked on maintaining. Now, I started for that last 20 and it's going so SLOW. I go to the gym about 3-4 days a week and walk 4 days a week. I eat back my exercise calories and I've been fighting to lose the same few lbs for a month (it bounces around). I know I'm losing other places and gaining muscles but it can be annoying to not see the scale move. Just keep going and focus on how you look and feel. That is half the battle.

Also, whenever I have my goal set at 2lbs a week. I NEVER lose that. I tend to lose in shifts 2-4lbs in a week then nothing for a few weeks and repeat. I'm a lot less frustrated since I figured that out :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know your aim is 2 lbs a week, but after a while, if you're eating too little (like 1,200, even though you're eating back you're calories, your body still thinks it's only getting 1,200)

This makes no sense. If you consume 1500 calories your body does not "think" you are consuming 1200. The only part of our bodies that think is our brain.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options

This makes no sense. If you consume 1500 calories your body does not "think" you are consuming 1200. The only part of our bodies that think is our brain.

If you eat 1500 calories, burn off 300, all your body has left to use is 1,200. That's used for breathing, blinking, heart pumping and all the little things that we don't control.
    So I guess it's odd wording, but that's how I see it worded a lot.

Your brain will think your body does not have enough. Does that make sense? And if your brain doesn't think it has enough to do it's job, it'll slow down unnecessary things. That's why if you're eating too little, you often feel tired. You could also get headaches and irritable and many other side effects.
    Your whole body reacts, so that's why I say 'your body thinks'
  • WeetingUK
    Options
    What is your sodium intake? Lots of sodium-based foods, regardless of caloric value will absorb water weight.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    The "few beers" could be making you retain some water, depending on how many a few is and how often it happens. Other than that, I'd just listen to what everyone else said. You aren't huge to start out with so you probably won't see a dramatic drop like some of us did who were larger to start with.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Sometimes it takes a while with no results and then you will see a loss. It sounds like you are doing the right stuff so stick with it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What is your sodium intake? Lots of sodium-based foods, regardless of caloric value will absorb water weight.

In a vacuum, this is true. But...

People worry way too much about sodium, and blame it far too often for "lack of results". If your diet is reasonably consistent, then so will be your sodium intake, and so will be the amount of water you retain (at least as a result of sodium), in which case sodium will have zero impact on progress.

If your diet is all over the place, then sodium can cause greater day-to-day weight fluctuations. But even so, success/progress should not be measured in such short time-frames. People need should worry more about where they are today vs a month or 6 months ago, not now compared to an hour or a day ago.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    this

I am on week three

Give it time
    and this, too.