Help with Progression to Non-Modified Push-Up

Options
I have never been able to do a full non-modified push-up. I currently do knee push-ups. However, I have read that if you elevate your upper body to a non-modified push-up (just in the elevated position), you will still build upper body strength and build the core strength that they say knee push-ups do not build in order to be able to work my way up to performing a non-modified push-up on the floor. So my question is in order to progress to a floor non-modified push-up, should I continue with my knee push-ups or do an upper body elevated push-up. The elevated push-up would be on my coffee table which comes right below my knees when I am standing, so my hands would be on it while doing the elevated push-up. What has your experience been? Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Replies

• nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It's been a while, but I was in your boat as well when I started strength training a few years ago. How I worked towards it was doing planks for as long as I could, 4 sets, every day from my hands. Then, try laying on the ground flat on your stomach, squeeze your core and glutes tight, and push up from the floor into a pushup. Lie back down, and keep going. Keep working just a few reps each day, as many as you can, and I am now able to do full pushups no problem.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Yup, incline push-ups are the way to go! Just lower your incline (ie start at the kitchen counter, or the wall even if you need to, then go down to the kitchen table, then your coffee table in the living room, perhaps, or the side of the bath tub?)

I found doing the ladder workouts for YAYOG built up so. damn. much. on my push-up strength. (do 1 rep, rest for the time it took to do the rep, do 2 reps, rest for 2 reps's time, do 3, etc up to the point where you reach failure, then go back down. Do for 5-7 minutes and I promise your chest and arms are going to be shot!)

Then hold planks up in a puh-up position. You can try lifting your legs or arms a bit to work on your stability. Eventually just drop down and try one. Keep trying every day.

Also focusing on working your chest (squeezing a ball and feeling the contraction) could help you use the pecs a bit more. Push-ups aren't just arms (tricep dips are also helpful though!). Let me ins or dumbbell rows will also work on your upper back which works a good bit at stabilizing everything.

Don't just train for push-ups! Focusing on your whole body, you'll eventually get in push-up form, while not creating too many imbalances!
  • CoachDreesTraining
    Options
    The fastest way is to do eccentric push-ups. Slowly lower your body to the ground for anywhere between 3-5 seconds, drop to your knees, push yourself back up, and reset for the next rep. Once you can do 4-5 of those you should have no problem doing a full push-up.
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the great ideas!! Definitely gives me some things to try!! :)